Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2002 9:43:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Catch mouse in live trap. Then stake mouse down in fenced in area. Then bushwhack.

Sorry to hear about the pooch.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
You could try baiting, and mice are something they eat but you might be waiting for some time.  Copperheads tend to fast thoughout the year depending on gender.  Like Bear said sniff it out.  I always thought copperheads and rattlebugs have a very musky scent.  Also, like most snakes they normal bite out of self defence especially to a larger animal.  So I would say look where your pup could have cornered it.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#4]
get a king snake. i think its king snake anyway. they eat other snakes, and dont bother people/animals.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Mattsd, good idea. Kings snakes do kill poisonous snakes.

Big Bear is right Copperheads do stink, but not until the emanate they "musk" through their glands. That is usually when they detect a threat, so unless you're pretty near them, you won't do much sniffing.

Mouse will probably do, but, I'd go out and start flipping stuff over looking under stuff for em. I used to catch snakes alive and you can find them in their little hiding spots. If you find a hole, pour gasoline into it. That usually makes them come out feeling kinda puny and then you can have some pellet gun practice or machete drills.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Just as a note King snake do eat other snakes.  So do Indigo's and Javelinas
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 11:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Love snake threads.    Like the non-poisonous snakes, don't so much like the poisonous ones but when I have the opportunity I look for them too.

This stupid thing was a wild gopher snake that my dad caught, I figure it's sorta rare that one gets this large out in the wild.  He was right about 7ft. long.
[img]http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/Snake2.jpg[/img]

Good luck finding your renegade snake, depending on terrain it can be a real chore.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas right about now must be hotter than popcorn fart, how about a garbage can lid filled with cold water placed in a far off corner of the yard. Like all forms of democrats start watching for it to show up when the sun goes down.  [:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]
you must become the snake to hunt it...

eat a couple mice and crawl around on the floor practice flicking your tongue in and out (insert joke here) then go out and find the creepy thing.  and remember, proper justice will require you to sink YOUR teeth into the little bugger!

[:)]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Any copperheads I ever smelled were real similar to cucumbers..
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope you dog is AOK!  At least when the pooch recovers you can bet all snakes will be off limits.   Man, get abunch of mice and get the riding lawn mower out.  Run that sucker down like a street whore.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Any chance you know someone that could do a fly-by with a C-130 Spectre?  I figure a couple of orbits of the area ought to do the trick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top