Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2002 5:46:23 AM EDT
i've never been to any type of event like bulletfest before and i'm not familair with the area. any suggestions on supplies and equipment i might want to pack that might otherwise be easily overlooked by a first timer. our plan is to camp friday and saturday nights.

i'm thinking its an all day shoot. do i want a cooler and chairs for the range? blanket to sit on? camp stove...etc.

also, with the vendors and the gun rentals, how much much money do you typically plan to spend?

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Eurotrash...  Drop down to Ohiopyle State Park tomorrow morning, as a few of us will be rafting & kayaking before heading back up to Ohio for Bulletfest!

We should be arriving at the DairyQueen ([i]Yough Outfitters[/i]) around 9:00am.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]
... guns.... lots of guns....
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
helldog, anti,

thanks for the contact info and the rafting invite. i'm in central pa. the trip is pretty much a straight run west for us on 80. our plan is to head out thursday afternoon and spend friday checking out the area before the shoot. does any of that fit your schedule? i'm not sure who else might be there thursday night, but it would be nice if there were some others to hang out with.

any advice on how to deal with the campground there would be apprecaited. i imagine the place isnt completely remote and that there will be a grocery/convenience store nearby. any idea if that is the case?

i definitely tried to find some way to work the rafting trip into the schedule. i've been thinking about it since i first saw the post, but it just isnt possible. i used to spend a good amount ot time there as a kid and would have enjoyed it with you guys. i'll be lookign forward to hearing about what i missed.

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i've never been to any type of event like bulletfest before and i'm not familair with the area. any suggestions on supplies and equipment i might want to pack that might otherwise be easily overlooked by a first timer. our plan is to camp friday and saturday nights.

i'm thinking its an all day shoot. do i want a cooler and chairs for the range? blanket to sit on? camp stove...etc.

also, with the vendors and the gun rentals, how much much money do you typically plan to spend?

View Quote

The chair is a great idea.  The cooler is another one.  The camp site has no facilities other than porta-potties.  No running water other than the river.  There is a McDonald's across the street and a convienience store near that, and another up the street.  There's probably going to be a fire going at night, so the camp stove may not be needed.  Your call on that one.

As for funds, it depends on what you're thinking of buying.  Ammo will be avialable on site, but I don't know at what price.  Probably competative with a gunshow.  As for full-auto rentals, the owner sets whatever price.  Some don't charge, some do.  Depends on what and who.  A fee would not be out of line for a minigun IMO, whereas the more common guns, I dunno.  I let anyone shoot my guns free, but none of them are full-atuo.  I've owned class 3 before though and I never charged.  So your guess is as good as mine.

Vendors will depend again on what you want to buy.  There's going to be some of the big names in AKs there, so if that's what you're into, you may spend alot.  If you're broke (like me from the BRC) you may not buy as much.

Bring water to the range.  Recon and I sampled the water fromt he tap last year.  NASTY wasn't the word to describe it.  The place is on an old dump, and the water comes from the ground.  Needless to say, NON-POTABLE and VERY NASTY.  DO NOT DRINK from the tap.  Just fill the cooler before you take off for the range and you should be good to go.

There is no real shade, other than the clubhouse.  I'd bring a hat as well as some sunscreen.  Weather should be better this year.  Not as hot as last year.

That's about it that I can think of.  I'll have a Chrony with me if you (or anyone else) wants to find out how fast their bullets really leave the muzzle.  I'll be the one with the Daewoo K2 and the Romak-3.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#8]
eye/ear protection and a smile will get you by!

just a donation gets ya into the show. i'm bringing 250 brats/buns/fixin's and a grill for lunch. food is also for sale at the rangehouse.

binocs ain't a bad idea, plenty of cold water...like waldo said, last year we cooked! this year the forecast is for 79° and partly sunny (a blessing!)
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not planning on camping, but I'm bringing a sleeping bag nevertheless for prone shooting.  

Edited to add that I'm bringing 100 lbs of plaster divided into little ziplock bags for reactive targets.  They make a nice, visible cloud of harmless white dust when hit with a high velocity round.

Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
commish...i'll give you some fire extinguisher bottles to fill up, if you want them. powder in a bottle reacts for many hits.

those cheap blue tarps also make brass cleanup a breeze.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few CASES of tannerite packed...  [}:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
commish...i'll give you some fire extinguisher bottles to fill up, if you want them. powder in a bottle reacts for many hits.
View Quote

My supply of plaster is only limited by the load carrying capacity and space available in the vehicle transporting me to Bulletfest.  What is the size of the opening in the neck of the extinguishers?  If I can get the right funnel and a scoop, those extinguishers can turned into 'bleeders' real quick!
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#13]
excellent details guys! that gives me a much better idea of what to expect at the camp. it sounds as if a person can get by with even minimal supplies. nice.

btw..it's so nice to be off today and tomorrow to prepare for the insanity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top