Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2012 8:12:53 AM EDT

Our disposal is no bueno for shit right now.  It got jammed up with some strings from tea bags.  We pulled the strings out.  But still won't turn.

I can turn the flywheel with an allen wrench without a problem.  However, when you hit the power switch, it won't turn the grinder.  It just hums & eventually pops the fuse.  If you put the allen wrench in the bottom & hit the switch, it will turn once and then stop turning again.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Our disposal is no bueno for shit right now.  It got jammed up with some strings from tea bags.  We pulled the strings out.  But still won't turn.

I can turn the flywheel with an allen wrench without a problem.  However, when you hit the power switch, it won't turn the grinder.  It just hums & eventually pops the fuse.  If you put the allen wrench in the bottom & hit the switch, it will turn once and then stop turning again.

Any ideas?

Should be able to turn it form the bottom. Backwards maybe?

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Does the grinder turn? There is a cheap $5 tool that allows you to spin the grinder.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our disposal is no bueno for shit right now. It got jammed up with some strings from tea bags. We pulled the strings out. But still won't turn.

I can turn the flywheel with an allen wrench without a problem. However, when you hit the power switch, it won't turn the grinder. It just hums & eventually pops the fuse. If you put the allen wrench in the bottom & hit the switch, it will turn once and then stop turning again.

Any ideas?

I can turn it freely by hand, but the motor won't spin it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Our disposal is no bueno for shit right now. It got jammed up with some strings from tea bags. We pulled the strings out. But still won't turn.

I can turn the flywheel with an allen wrench without a problem. However, when you hit the power switch, it won't turn the grinder. It just hums & eventually pops the fuse. If you put the allen wrench in the bottom & hit the switch, it will turn once and then stop turning again.

Any ideas?

I can turn it freely by hand, but the motor won't spin it.
HMMM.
Ive been away from plumbing for a long time so I may have forgotten a lot of stuff.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#5]
You likely have a shorted winding or, if it has an internal capacitor, the cap is shot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#6]
You let the thing just sit there and hum while it was jammed up until the fuse blew?

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd be inclined to get a new one if the easy fixes don't work.
easy to install -least mine was
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd be inclined to get a new one if the easy fixes don't work.
easy to install -least mine was

I'd bet money it will take a new one. You can't just let an electric motor sit there and run when it's bound up. Fuses blow because there's too much current draw, if a motor is drawing too much current because it's been sitting there running while it was bound up 99% of the time the motor is going to be fucked up.

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Mine did something similiar when I tried to dispose of some hops.  

I had to spin the disposal with the allen wrench on the bottom.  I made a dozen or two rotations, both backwards and forwards.  Eventually it free'd up and worked.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:44:59 AM EDT
[#10]
If the motor smelled you are done.

Ps. Costco has a nice disposal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top