Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 11:29:37 AM EDT
I have an automatic benchmade that I would like to put up for sale. Is there any legal issue to this? I know benchmade won't sell them to just anyone.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't export it to Iran.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll keep that in mind
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Federal law bans interstate commerce in switchblade knives. The only
exemption to this federal ban is direct sale to government agencies by manufacturers.
I will assume they are legal to possess in your state.
It would be legal to sell to another person in your state.
It is not legal to sell it and ship it to someone in a different state.
link to federal law
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]
They sell them on Amazon.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Typically it's up to the buyer to know if it's legal or not since there's no way an average person could know every state and local knife law on the books.  But if you're really concerned just limit selling it to someone in a free state and you probably know which ones those are.  If not, I'll start your list with Arizona.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Federal law bans interstate commerce in switchblade knives. The only
exemption to this federal ban is direct sale to government agencies by manufacturers.
I will assume they are legal to possess in your state.
It would be legal to sell to another person in your state.
It is not legal to sell it and ship it to someone in a different state.
link to federal law

Interesting. I have one. I know I didn't buy it in my state. I'm 99% positive I bought it from BladeHQ or which ever one is in Utah. I don't remember it being an issue at all.

Stupid ass law anyway.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Would it be legal if you disassembled the switchblade and shipped it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Here in Louisiana you can purchase one where ever they're sold.  On the other hand it's illegal to carry one on your person unless you are LE or active military.  Go figure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top