[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I made one like 5 years ago and posted a how-to in team

ETA Pic

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/682/flamey.jpg

It's pretty simple with off the shelf parts, all you really need is a 5 gallon metal tank, a backpack frame, some compressed argon (or other gas that's non-flammable), a welding regulator, a blow torch with extended reach nozzle, and a trip to Home Depot for some pipe and fittings

The link is missing sir.

Here ya go!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_75/871573_HOW_TO__Make_a_homemade_backpack_flamethrower.html

Will CO2 work as the gas?  I have several CO2 tanks.

Yeah, any gas that is non-flammable / inert will work... WW2 flamethrowers actually compressed their fuel with propane, which they then fed their gun's pilot light from.  I erred on the side of caution and decided to use an inert gas to compress the gasoline in the main tank with.

Just don't use compressed air.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:33:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Scary as hell - I think these things were designed as much for the psy-ops effect as for the actual damage they inflict.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:Yeah, any gas that is non-flammable / inert will work... WW2 flamethrowers actually compressed their fuel with propane, which they then fed their gun's pilot light from.  I erred on the side of caution and decided to use an inert gas to compress the gasoline in the main tank with.

Just don't use compressed air.

Charge it with aviators breathing oxygen. Nothing bad will happen, I promise.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There was a how-to with videos for making one out of pvc pipe also.

worked well.

Quoted:

ETA Pic

It's pretty simple with off the shelf parts, all you really need is a 5 gallon metal tank, a backpack frame, some compressed argon (or other gas that's non-flammable), a welding regulator, a blow torch with extended reach nozzle, and a trip to Home Depot for some pipe and fittings

Using PVC scares the shit out of me... I've seen the same video, kid used PVC tubing in a giant "0" to hold denatured alcohol and pressurizes it.

I would never use PVC as a pressure vessel for gasoline, I know people make spud guns using it, but we tried making a small PVC tank at first and tested it with water and compressed air and at about 80-90 PSI it failed and blew apart!  Also, the kid taps threads into the PVC pipe for ports, which is also a great failure point waiting to happen.

Use a metal tank rated for those pressures or don't do it at all.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
There was a how-to with videos for making one out of pvc pipe also.

worked well.

Quoted:

ETA Pic

Using PVC scares the shit out of me... I've seen the same video, kid used PVC tubing in a giant "0" to hold denatured alcohol and pressurizes it.

I would never use PVC as a pressure vessel for gasoline, I know people make spud guns using it, but we tried making a small PVC tank at first and tested it with water and compressed air and at about 80-90 PSI it failed and blew apart!  Also, the kid taps threads into the PVC pipe for ports, which is also a great failure point waiting to happen.

Use a metal tank rated for those pressures or don't do it at all.

I saw a PVC air mortar blow up and fuck up a couple paintballers. Big shrapnel nasty stuff
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Perfectly legal around here.  Used by farmers for burning ditches and other stuff.

Not real good for home defense though.

It is if your into the scorched earth method.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What little I understand of it - the pressure tank is a helluva risk.

co2 paint ball tank....
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top