Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 3:31:17 PM EDT
Link

Hunting off-duty state trooper shoots and wounds Mass. woman, mistook her dogs for a deer

NORTON, Mass. - An off-duty state trooper who was hunting in southeast Massachusetts shot and wounded a 66-year-old woman who was out walking her two dogs when he mistook her pets for a deer.

The woman was shot in the torso while walking on a wooded path in Norton about 5 p.m. Saturday. Police said the trooper called 911 after realizing he had mistaken the tails of the two retrievers for a deer's tail.

The unidentified woman who lives in Norton was taken to Rhode Island Hospital for treatment. Authorities provided no further information on her condition.

State police on Sunday said investigators determined the shooting was an accident. The name of the trooper, who also lives in Norton, was not released because he faces no charges. The investigation continued.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Only an 'Accident'?

Sounds like gross negligence to me, especially considering he is a TRAINED police officer. No excuse.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The Onion?

ETA - This is an amazing story.  Fail on many levels.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
This was posted a day or so ago.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Only an 'Accident'?

Sounds like gross negligence to me, especially considering he is a TRAINED police officer. No excuse.

Complete negligence.  Breaking rule number 4.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Only the cops and military should have guns!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure if it happened the other way around, it would have been dealt with the same way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:41:43 PM EDT
[#8]
he should be held accountable just like anyone else, if not on a higher stool
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Heard hunting season ended 13-14 minutes before he shot too.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Link

Hunting off-duty state trooper shoots and wounds Mass. woman, mistook her dogs for a deer

The woman was shot in the torso while walking on a wooded path in Norton about 5 p.m. Saturday. Police said the trooper called 911 after realizing he had mistaken the tails of the two retrievers for a deer's tail.

I bird hunt with Golden Retrievers, therefore I do not bird hunt on opening day of deer season. She also wears lots of orange and a bell. When she runs away with her tail up she looks like a whitetail.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
They even hunt dogs while not on duty!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Wait, he missed the dogs?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm not a hunter, but my understanding is you I.D. the target to make certain it's the male/female/age that's legal/desired then wait until it's still/motionless to aim at the best vital area and that you have a clear backstop - then you pull the trigger.  I guess hunters do shoot at moving targets at times and that's acceptable too.  I dunno, but hoping someone will correct me where I'm wrong.

It seems like another case of shooting at moving bushes - and those stories always piss me off.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#15]
It is obvious to me it was a accident, he as aiming at the dog like cops do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#16]
This happened again within just two days?!??!  Those Masshole cops need to have all their guns taken away!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
AGAIN!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow. That is an embarrassing story to have to tell at a camp fire. "I missed the dogs by so much, I hit the old woman."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top