Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/2/2012 2:44:00 PM EDT
I saw the brit food thread and I was reminded of this.

When I was in elementary school, the cafeteria often served "Shepherd's Pie" which I thought was just the greatest thing

It really wasn't anything fantastic: just ground beef with a layer of corn, topped with mashed potatoes and baked, but I used to gobble it down.

I made it myself as a teenager with munchies and too much time, but have forgotten about it for years...

...I must have that meat and mashed potato casserole!
Speed
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
When I was in elementary school, the cafeteria often served "Shepherd's Pie" which I thought was just the greatest thing

It really wasn't anything fantastic: just ground beef with a layer of corn, topped with mashed potatoes and baked, but I used to gobble it down.
I made it myself as a teenager with munchies and too much time, but have forgotten about it for years...

Speed

WRONG!!!  IT is awesome!!!  I miss Shepherd's Pie  Haven't had it since I moved out of the house...
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Speed

I make a couple of times a year, but add yummy cheese on top.  Mashed taters, already cooked hamburger meat, peas or corn, Rotel tomatoes, more taters, more meat, more taters, cheese, bake.  Yum.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
My mum just made it for me when I went home for Christmas .... excellent with HP sauce ...  nom nom nom nom
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Loves me some !!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
kids demand it every 2 weeks. They love it, and feeding 5, (3 growing kids and 2 adults)  its cheap.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:23:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I just had this for the first time last week, and have been thinking about making it myself ever since.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:24:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I love it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Need to add a layer of onions, mushrooms, green peppers, and cheddar cheese with some self rising pie crust to seal it all in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Love it, it's awesome!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

WRONG!!!  IT is awesome!!!  I miss Shepherd's Pie  Haven't had it since I moved out of the house...

Six Pence Pub has a pretty good one.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Shepherds pie has lamb.  Ifit has beef its cottage pie.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Hungry now.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:40:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll be the dissenter and

Think it's the mashed potatoes that makes it go downhill for me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#14]
make it with lamb...
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#15]
The only problem I have with this dish is that some people throw together unseasoned beef, bad gravy, and instant mashed potatoes, then try to pawn it off as Shepherd's Pie. It's like adding beans to chili.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#16]
It's not hard to make at all.  It's lamb stew with mashed potatoes on top

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I knew someone else had to know this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife makes it for us when I request it.  It's one of the most awesome meals ever, i love it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Lamb, FTW... One of my all time favorites.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've never heard of cottage pie but I like pie and I'd eat this new on you're bringing to the table.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who gags on potatoes?
I've never met a person who doesn't like potatoes.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Need to add a layer of onions, mushrooms, green peppers, and cheddar cheese with some self rising pie crust to seal it all in.
Now we're talking!

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#23]
tag for shepards pie ideas.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've never heard of cottage pie but I like pie and I'd eat this new on you're bringing to the table.

Wait till somebody throws Steak & Kidney pie into the mix. That will add yet another layer to the awesomeness.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I get this at the local 'gourmet' grocery store (Wegmans)...

VERY VERY tasty.

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Thread is worthless without shepherds pie pics:

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I buy my dog canned wet dog food that's Shepard's Pie.

The human variety sounds pretty good.  I'll have to find a recipe or two.

Edit: thanks Zhukov
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I make that all the time, having leftovers for dinner tonight.

I brown a pound of ground beef, then pour a can of tomato soup on it, put that in the bottom of a 9x9 casserole dish, cover with cheese, then I do a layer of green beans, then a layer of cheese, then a layer of mashed potatoes, then a layer of cheese, then bake the whole thing until all the cheese is melty.  Awesome cold weather food.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who gags on potatoes?

I've never met a person who doesn't like potatoes.

Gollum

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:05:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I like it fine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Speed

Use to love the Shepherd's Pie that my mom would make.  I had some in a British pub earlier this year made with lamb.  Damn, it's good stuff!!!

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Anyone that's served in .mil will know all about Sheppard's Pie (twice a week), I love it anyway.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Speed

Should be lamb.  Hence, "Shepherd's" Pie, not "Cattleman's" Pie.

Alot like grammar Nazi or spelling Nazi, but instead food Nazi.

Of course, you are correct... that stuff in the cafeteria was delicious.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Better have Lamb in it

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Alot like grammar Nazi or spelling Nazi, but instead food Nazi.

Of course, you are correct... that stuff in the cafeteria was delicious.

"A lot" is two words.
"Allot" is one word, but not the one you wanted.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#38]
What his cafeteria served was 'pate chinois' or China pie,  a cheaper variation popular up here.  I was raised on the stuff.  And by corn I think he means creamed corn.  The potato on top is sprinkled with paprika.  My mothers side is kinda Canuck, so I suppose this is a Canadian dish?  As kids, my mother, aunt, and uncle nicknamed it, "potta shit".  
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#39]
In OKC Sean Cummings Irish Restaurant and Pub is the place to order that. Place is awesome. Owners wife has a really good Italian joint next door
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Speed

This looked so good I just make one. A pound of hamburger browned with a chopped onion, salted and peppered. A can of mixed vegetables layered on the beef with some garlic powder,  and 3 to 3 1/2 cups instant potatoes spread on top with a little more salt and pepper. In the oven at 350 and 20 minutes later some fine eating.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speed

This looked so good I just make one. A pound of hamburger browned with a chopped onion, salted and peppered. A can of mixed vegetables layered on the beef with some garlic powder,  and 3 to 3 1/2 cups instant potatoes spread on top with a little more salt and pepper. In the oven at 350 and 20 minutes later some fine eating.

Me too! I was reading this thread when my daughter came downstairs to ask what was for dinner. I told her Shepherd's Pie, and she squealed with glee and ran back upstairs. Onion, carrots, garlic, spices, 1.5 lbs ground beef, chicken broth, peas, tomato paste and worchestershire sauce, topped with mashed potatoes. I didn't have any corn, but otherwise it turned out great. Good for leftovers too. Thanks for the dinner tip!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#42]
The best shepherd's pie on earth is served at Pusser, on the harbor at St. John USVI.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Lamb, FTW... One of my all time favorites.

Mine too, luckily my inlaws are Persians so I have access to lamb kabob on occasion.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I have been told by Brits that what we call Sheppards Pie is really Cottage Pie. Cottage Pie is made with ground beef while Sheppards Pie is made with Lamb. Which when you think about it, it does sort of make more sense.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#45]
one of my fav foods ever. hands down genius with all the food groups at once
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have been told by Brits that what we call Sheppards Pie is really Cottage Pie. Cottage Pie is made with ground beef while Sheppards Pie is made with Lamb. Which when you think about it, it does sort of make more sense.

This is correct both are great when the weather gets cold
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/Ohiocruffler/thread.gif

I read it after I replied to the OP.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd294/Ohiocruffler/thread.gif

I read it after I replied to the OP.  

Yeah, but I really like that .gif.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

My former S/O was a Brit, she called the one with beef Shepherd's Pie.  It's all very similar.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top