Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 6:38:06 PM EDT
Wasn't all that long ago when I bought milk, I would look at the expiration date and it would be about 7 days ahead. Now its 4 to 5 weeks. Please tell me what is ultra-pasturized milk. Is it radiated? Is just boiled longer and hotter? Whats up with a dairy product that can stay fresh for 5 weeks?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The best I've seen is 10 or 12 days.  Where do you get this supermilk?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Its everywhere. I got milk in my fridge right now thats good till July 27th.

It says ultra-pasturized on the carton.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Might be ultra pasteurized.  I know the Lactose Free milks have always had a longer expiration date (at one point I bought them just to have milk around without having to worry about it expiring when I needed it).

AFARR
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was in Bosnia we got German milk that was good for a year as long as you didn't open the package, once broken you had better down it all in 48hrs. [:X*]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it is irradiated.  This is what I try to buy these days--it lasts 1.5-2 months, which is great.  The old-fashioned milk would sometimes go bad in a week.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
[size=3]when sour cream goes bad, does it get sweet..?[/size=3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Ultrahigh temperature (UHT)
Flash heat at ~140C for 1-2seconds.
Stays sterile for up to six months unopened.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top