I also bought the DVD a couple of days ago and watched it too. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

... I did too, but keep getting interrupted by "drop ins".

May be able to get through it completely tonight. Seen it a the big screen.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to turn the volume waaaaayyyyy down on my 110lb B&W ASW 3000 sub for that movie... those choppers and explosions are great!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yup.
View Quote
Damn, don't you ever shut up? [:D]
View Quote

Would you two get a room!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Wasn't all that good.......
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I want i want iwant i want!!!! gimme gimme gimee!!!!!!![img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/blah.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Really?  What didn't you like about it?
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Was reading the credits and noticed that the guy that played PFC Blackburn is also the guy that played Legolas on LOTR.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
For those of you that liked BHD, I would highly recommend the movie "Bravo 20," and for those of you that liked Eric Bana in BHD, you might also like the movie "Chopper" which he starred in.  Didn't realize that over half the cast of BHD was foreign.  Bana is an Aussie, Ewan McGregor is Scottish, and the guy that played Capt Steele sounded British.  I thought that they all did a pretty good job with the accents though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
It sucked, I mean they had the chance at a really lame joke and didn't take it.
They could have had typecast actor Tom Sizemore play a character with the same name [:)]

yes this is a really lame joke.
I actually thought it was a great movie, and bought it on dvd even though I know a special edition will be coming in the next few months and I hate buying 2 copies of a movie
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I got scared at first because I thought it was  Trainspotting II.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:35:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I liked Eric Bana as Hoot.  He was one of the few characters I could really identify with.  The same with William Fichtner as Delta Sgt. First Class Jeff Sanderson.

I had no idea so many of those actors were not American.

And on the subject of Black Hawk Down, does anyone know where the quote at the end of the movie comes from?

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:23:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I had a couple of buds that were there. It pisses me off to see how it all went down. No armor , no air support WTF. I would have had a pre-op inspection. Everyone full armor, water, 1 day =rations, extra ammo, NVG's, batteries. They did not show them doing that in the movie. It made it look like they carried whatever they wanted. I know that everyone Infantry unit does a inspecton before an operation. The movie made the Rangers look like they did not plan very well. I'm sure they planned as well as they could under the circumstances that they were given by command.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:31:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Agree on the pre-op equipment check, but I've read the book too. And it describes Cpt. Steele cursing himself for slacking off on discipline for once by allowing his men to leave behind gear he normally insisted them on bringing on any mission. (Like water and rations, NVG's and full armour). You don't see that bit back in the movie, but that scene is probably derived from that.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had the privlidge of talking to several Task Force Ranger veterans thru the net in the recent year.

The general consensus with them is that the movie is probably as good a war movie Hollywood can come up with. They have pointed out some parts of the movie that they would not have have wanted to see, ie: the lost soldiers episode which never happened.

My personal opinion is that with all that had to be included in the movie from a firefight lasting 18 hours, it is an excellent movie.

[b]P.S[/b]GodBless Texas, do you mean the part where a letter is read on the screen, that is the actor playing Master Sergeant Gordon, reading the actual letter written by Msgt Gordon to his wife.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:35:47 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

I don't watch such movies for entertainment.  I watch them with my son so he will know.

I was hoping there might be a mention of the MOH ceremony when Shughart's father stepped away from Clinton and told him he was an unfit leader, but I guess that's just too much to expect from the film industry.

Eddie
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:41:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I didn't realize that it was out on DVD yet.  I am definately going to add it to my collection.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:19:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't watch such movies for entertainment.  I watch them with my son so he will know.

I was hoping there might be a mention of the MOH ceremony when Shughart's father stepped away from Clinton and told him he was an unfit leader, but I guess that's just too much to expect from the film industry.

Eddie
View Quote

I'm not sure that the movie was made as a political statement. I got the impression that while the film maker made an effort to honor the American Soldiers he made no real attempt to place blame. The book does that to a certain extent.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:19:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The only parts that I don't like are when they make the soldiers out to be undisciplined pigs, for example being a smart ass to an officer. Hollywood seems to do that in just about any military movie they make.
View Quote

What part is that? The Delta Boys blowing off the Ranger officers was pretty common, per the book. Or are you talking about another part?

Eric
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:44:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only parts that I don't like are when they make the soldiers out to be undisciplined pigs, for example being a smart ass to an officer. Hollywood seems to do that in just about any military movie they make.
View Quote

What part is that? The Delta Boys blowing off the Ranger officers was pretty common, per the book. Or are you talking about another part?

Eric
View Quote
Yes that's one part that I was referring to. It may be different in some branches of the service, I was thinking about how I could never get away with back talk to a Staff NCO, yet alone a Zero. I just expected a top echelon unit like Delta, or the Rangers to be the same way. That didn't make the movie any less enjoyable, it still kicked ass.
View Quote

I saw this personally while stationed on the Amphib base in Coronado. Its not out right insubordination, but a more free talk conversation with officers and enlisted amongst the SEAL. When it comes time for the real deal enlisted knows their place. However, they do voice their opinions quite vividly but still follow orders. I think it is cause they all go through the same training together. There isn't a line seperating the 2 that is set forth in the beginning. Everyone is treated the same. I would assume it would the same in other branchs' Special Forces. Plus there is that "I am more elite than you" attitude.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
So for all us "caveman" types.....when does it come out on VHS?!?!?!?!

Best Buy told me they didn't know if it was going to or not!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#29]
When I was AD Marine Corps we were range control one time out at the Niland ranges, and the SEALs showed just what they thought of regular troops.
Sassing us and our zeros, telling us the way things would be and what we would do for them, not giving rides to drunk troops walking back from town even when their government issue white SUVs were empty, DRIVING FULL TILT ALL OUT AT NIGHT through our camp just for shear jackassness.
I believe anything of 'elite' troops now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top