Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2002 8:23:58 PM EDT
Does anyone know were tha phrase "I'll give it a shot" comes from.

No guessing please

Thanks,
Maxwell05
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:00:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I started that back in, mmmmmmmm, 57'. I was shootin BBs with my buddy and he couldn't even hit a damn hummin bird with that Red Ryder he had, sooooooooo, I said "I'll give it a shot". He looked at me kinda funny and said "can I use that line", I said "sure".

Now you know the rest of the story.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Do a quick look on the web for phrase origins. There are some labeled "obvious", though I didn't find this one anywhere.

And it might not be the original phrase, possibly a derivitve of "take a shot at it", as in "give it a try".
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
uhhhhhh.......... DUCK!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
In your teenage or lower 20's whenever you are trying to get into a girls underwear.... Your first thought is to take her to a bar and "Give it a shot." Thereby making the task easier. Correctly it should be stated ,"Give her a shot" but you are not thinking of her, you are thinking about it, so hence the freudian slip gets in there.

Ben
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top