Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2011 7:35:56 AM EDT
Wife and I are having a yard sale tomorrow.....We put up signs last night.

We have had about 5 people stop in and want to have a look at the stuff before tomorrow morning....
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Put a sign on your front door that says: "If you ring this doorbell wanting an early shop on the yardsale, go fuqq yourself..."

Earlybirds always want to haggle you down anyway so that THEY can make a buck off of what YOU sold them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a guy who lives in my area that is beating down your door 2 hours before the time the yard sale begins. He says something like "any coins, jewelry, guns or knives"? I told him to beat it. He showed up at my folks yard sale too.

Yard sales are very hit or miss unless you want used clothes or household goods. People also like to make rediclious offers. I had a new in box black & decker hot plate which is about $40 new. I had it marked $30 and people are offering me $5.00 for it. I would rather throw it away then let someone rape me like that. Scorched earth!
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My parents always put out a sign: "Earlybirds pay double"
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Every time we have one, we have individuals from Mexico (like crossing the border for the day) stop by at 0500 banging on the door demanding to buy everything of value for a dime on the dollar of asking price.

I counter offer with two dollars on the dollar. They go away.

If they show up later after I open, my last price offered stands. They buy all the stuff to take over to the flea market in town and flip it. I barely even go to yard sales around here cause any of the guns, ammo or tools are long since picked over...even if I show up at the advertised opening time.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#5]
This is why I never put the address in a classified. I just put the general area of our house. Signs in the neighborhood don't go up until the night before. Never had that problem but I do get knocks from the mexicans about an hour early at 7am. That really pisses me off as I rarely get to sleep in. I loathe yard sales. Had a lady put a 50 cent pair of shoes on my hood as well as her purse to dig out the change. Miffed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Put a sign on your front door that says: "If you ring this doorbell wanting an early shop on the yardsale, go fuqq yourself..."

Earlybirds always want to haggle you down anyway so that THEY can make a buck off of what YOU sold them.

THE BASTARDS!!!

Heading into the swap meet at o'dark 30 there were always the people who'd swarm around, offering to buy anything worth anything, obviously with the intention of reselling it themselves.  We always just said no.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't care if people buy my shit and resell it for profit.  Just as long as I get a little money for crap I don't want in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:13:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems like some here are missing the point of a yard sale.  To get rid of shit you don't use.

...my wife is an avid "scouter".  
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems like some here are missing the point of a yard sale.  To get rid of shit you don't use.

Every time I have held a yard sale, everything that doesn't sell gets taken to the Salvation Army/Goodwill.  I don't want it to come back inside.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:19:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There is a guy who lives in my area that is beating down your door 2 hours before the time the yard sale begins. He says something like "any coins, jewelry, guns or knives"? I told him to beat it. He showed up at my folks yard sale too.

Yard sales are very hit or miss unless you want used clothes or household goods. People also like to make rediclious offers. I had a new in box black & decker hot plate which is about $40 new. I had it marked $30 and people are offering me $5.00 for it. I would rather throw it away then let someone rape me like that. Scorched earth!

You drive a hard bargain. OK, OK, I'll give you $10 for it.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every time I have held a yard sale, everything that doesn't sell gets taken to the Salvation Army/Goodwill.  I don't want it to come back inside.

I dont care that they come early. They just insult me with the prices. I do build a little haggle into intial asking price, but if you offer me less than 10% of what Im asking, it is a little over the top.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont care that they come early. They just insult me with the prices. I do build a little haggle into intial asking price, but if you offer me less than 10% of what Im asking, it is a little over the top.

It's not an insult.  It's business.  Stop taking things personally.  Kindly say, "I appreciate the offer, but go fuck yourself."
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Exactly....
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:37:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not an insult.  It's business.  Stop taking things personally.  Kindly say, "I appreciate the offer, but go fuck yourself."

Oh, I take very little personally. Insult would probably be a misnomer. It just really pisses me off when I'm asking 10 bucks for something, they put a dollar on the table, pick up the item and try to start pretending they don't speak English and start walking back down my driveway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top