Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2011 4:02:55 PM EDT
I need to get myself one for xmas. I would like to stay in the 100-150 range and would like to stay away from harbor freight unless someone can convince me otherwise

I know nothing of brands for these.
Im thinking of this torin

thanks

Also, cars and pickup trucks is 1.5 tons enough or do I need up to 3?
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one from Northern Tool and it has served me really well. Wasn't too expensive either.

eta link

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200345429_200345429

They also sell Torin.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I need to get myself one for xmas. I would like to stay in the 100-150 range and would like to stay away from harbor freight unless someone can convince me otherwise

I know nothing of brands for these.
Im thinking of this torin

thanks

When I read the title of this thread before clicking, I was already to post "DONT GET A HF ONE" I had one, it was 3 ton. My Blazer squished it like a bug. It failed after one single use. Never again. Look into the better Napa brands ones, they may cost more, but a good tool is worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
So do ya want a "floors jack" or a floor jack?..Considerable difference.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Torin makes a good product.  No experience with their jack, but really like their hose reel.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Hein Werner.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:12:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So do ya want a "floors jack" or a floor jack?..Considerable difference.

i want to be able to jack up on various floors: carpet, concrete, hardwood. Maybe even more then one at one time, like the back wheels on carpet and the front on linoleum.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
always, always get a pair of jack stands.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a dreadfully cheap Chinese floor jack that I bought for less than $50 at Bi-Mart.

So far, it's worked just fine.

Would it be nice to have a nicer one?  Sure.

But for my modest purposes, it's done the job every time.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't dismiss Harbor Freight so fast...

I have a 3 ton Pittsburgh Floor Jack from Harbor Freight that I've used for 10 years now, I keep it in the back of my truck, I figured if it got stolen it wouldn't hurt as bad as a more expensive jack, it's still going strong, no leak down and it'll still will lift the front end of my Dodge truck.

(Unfortunately they no longer carry the particular model I have and I haven't used the 3 ton rapid lift jack that replaced it)
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Get 2 pairs.  Big ones.  Makes putting the entire vehicle up in the air easy and safe.

FWIW, I have an old HF orange 3 ton jack.  Its held up fine for the last 10(?) years or so that i've had it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got one from Northern Tool and it has served me really well. Wasn't too expensive either.

eta link

They also sell Torin.

That one looks nice.  3.5 tons? That seems like a lot(and about 40 pounds heavier), compared to others.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Ebay / Craigslist.  I got an old, heavy "made in USA" floor jack for cheap, I wouldn't trade it for two of the newer ones.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That.

I have used/abused several. Even the cheapest did not fail due to bad product.

I like 3 ton.

Then again, I use them in a farm shop.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had a 4 ton Craftsman for years. never had any problems with it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a dreadfully cheap Chinese floor jack that I bought for less than $50 at Bi-Mart.

Pretty much the same, but mine was from Lowes and came with a pair of stands.

It's all worked ok so far, and the mechanic I know says he's made a lot of money off a very similar one.  Do I trust it?  Hell no.  Do I trust any jack?  Hell no.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a craftman quick lift one, really nice for moneyThe jack brah

I like the fast up, and the weight, You can catch em on sale sometimes for a bit less
One good pump and you are up to the frame. Nice long handle too, valve will allow controllable let down
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

eta link

They also sell Torin.

That one looks nice.  3.5 tons? That seems like a lot(and about 40 pounds heavier), compared to others.

If you are working on a full size truck go with one that's large like that one. The quick rise helps a lot to get to the frame initially. I like my 3 ton Craftsman but it takes forever to get to the frame and it seems a little weak for my Dakota. Would not want to use it on a 3/4 ton truck that's for sure.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ebay / Craigslist.  I got an old, heavy "made in USA" floor jack for cheap, I wouldn't trade it for two of the newer ones.

That's the way I'd go too.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much the same, but mine was from Lowes and came with a pair of stands.

It's all worked ok so far, and the mechanic I know says he's made a lot of money off a very similar one.  Do I trust it?  Hell no.  Do I trust any jack?  Hell no.  

I think mine came with jack stands, too.

I do not crawl under anything supported by a jack, and neither does any sane person.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a craftman quick lift one, really nice for moneyThe jack brah

I like the fast up, and the weight, You can catch em on sale sometimes for a bit less
One good pump and you are up to the frame. Nice long handle too, valve will allow controllable let down

youch, look at those reviews
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Try to do better . I have an old Craftsman Jack I bought new almost 20 years ago . It still works great . I have a HF Torin that leaks down it was a roadside find in the case even . buy good jack stands and use them . dropping a car sucks
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

eta link

They also sell Torin.

If you are working on a full size truck go with one that's large like that one. The quick rise helps a lot to get to the frame initially. I like my 3 ton Craftsman but it takes forever to get to the frame and it seems a little weak for my Dakota. Would not want to use it on a 3/4 ton truck that's for sure.

I use the one above on my extended cab Silverado and it doesn't have a problem at all with it. Well built and low enough to work on cars but has enough lift to get the truck well off the ground.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

While a decent jack is nice, quality jack stands are more important.

What he said.

I do have an orange Pittsburgh (made in China, I'm sure) hydraulic floor jack, but my jack stands are top notch. I don't really mind if the hydraulic jack fails, given what I paid for it. I won't be in any danger when it does. But if my jack stands fail...I'm fucked proper.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Anymore they really are all about the same.

Most are made by the same Chinese company.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Have a 20+ year old 3 ton real craftsman jack, heavier than hell but going strong.  I also have a HF one that I use because its lighter, works fine on small/mid sized cars.  Jack on the sides and put stands on the car, you'll be fine for light duty.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hein Werner.

This,if you can afford it.
All the rest are cheap Taiwan or China Junk.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#28]
I have this one from Sam's

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3490133&searchTerm=floor%20jack

I use it all the time to lift my 2003 F350 7.3 PSD, and so far, its working like a champ. I took the quick lift lever off though.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:23:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Try to do better . I have an old Craftsman Jack I bought new almost 20 years ago . It still works great . I have a HF Torin that leaks down it was a roadside find in the case even . buy good jack stands and use them . dropping a car sucks

I have one of the big, old school Craftsman ones too. It is heavy as hell and slow, but it is still working, even after being left outside and never being maintained.

Also currently have the floor jack that Costco has in stock these days (belongs to a buddy that left it here). It is a low profile, steel framed one. Dunno the brand name off the top of my head but it works awesome. 4-5 pumps and my truck is off the ground. So much faster then my craftsman one.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:26:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Look for floor jack that is low and wide.  Those are closer to the professional floor jacks used in shops.

Also, sturdy jack stands (I like the ones with the pawl lever), and a set of steel wheel chocks if you can find them.   Plastic wheel chocks if you have to.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Most jacks will lift trucks. Most jacks will NOT fit under low vehicles.  Make sure of this before buying your jack. I've got the craftsman low profile jack that lifts both my truck and sportscar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top