Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2002 6:07:11 AM EDT
Guys. I'm coming up short here and need the help of the AR-15 dot com crew.

I'm a member of the local Rotary club, have been for about 15 years and I've made a new friend in the club who just joined. He's an elderly gent and we were together for a tree planting thing our Rotary club does. Anyway, while we are planting trees, I see he's wearing this blue ball cap that says WW2 vet on it with a bunch of campaign ribbons on it. I look up and tell him, "Hey, I know those campaign ribbons and one is from the European theater". He promptly tells me that he was on Omaha beach and we talk a little about what he did. He was a Jeep driver.

At the next Rotary Club meeting, he brings me his scrap books and newspaper clippings of everything he did during the invasion of Europe. He was assigned to Patton's HQ, 3rd Army as a driver and told me some funny stories about Patton and his dog Willie.

Anyway, he told me he has all his combat ribbons and insignias except one that he lost. He was assigned to a artillery group for a time and he had the insignia of the cross cannons with a (if I heard him correctly) a small "O" "under" the cannons. I can only find a insignia with the "O" between the cannons and an shell inside the "O".

I'd like to find one for him and give it to him as a present for the trust he show in me by letting me lug all these photo albums and such (his life history) home for three weeks.

I've done a few searches and I'm coming up dry. My forte is WW2 aviation so I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct insignia.

He also has this cool P-38 he took off a German that's mint.

Can anyone help or guide me to a web site? Thanks guys.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top