Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2002 11:58:52 AM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/699624/posts[/url]

The United States has a program, called Diversity Immigrant Visa Lottery (better known as the Green Card
Lottery), making available each year by random selection 50,000 permanent residence visas (Green Cards) to
people from around the world. The objective of the program is to issue Green Cards to individuals born in
countries with historically low levels of immigration to the United States.

A Green Card is a Permanent Residence Visa of the U.S.A. A Green Card will give you legal right to work and live
permanently in the United States. Green Card holders receive health, education, and several other benefits. If you
win a Green Card, you can apply for U.S. Citizenship at a later time. The Green Card does not affect your present
citizenship. You and your family could be lucky winners!
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#1]
You didn't know this?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 1:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 2:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 2:28:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Beerslayer, the "benefits" mentioned aren't freebies, they just give you the right to pay for your medical needs yourself without having to fear to be reported to the INS by your doctors.
Oh, and "going through the motions to become a citizen" takes some time, easily up to a decade.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:09:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The objective of the program is to issue Green Cards to individuals born in
countries with historically low levels of immigration to the United States.
View Quote

Sounds like a way to get more Western Europeans here.  

One other item left out of the post is that legal resident aliens can serve in the Armed Forces and are eligible for the draft.  Also, the "Green" card is no longer green.  Hasn't been for quite some time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If not don't bitch about not getting benefits you ARE NOT entitled to as a resident alien.
View Quote

I'm sorry, the only one bitching and whining is you. Did I post anything in the way of [i]waah, I don't get a freebie, that's just not fair[/i]? Hardly. I pay my own way, just as everybody else. And that [i]is[/i] fair.
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#10]
What the hell is the matter with some of you guys?  Legal residents of the U.S., whether they're citizens or resident aliens, pay taxes and contribute to the health and prosperity of this country.  And as far as I can tell, both are still subject to the whims of all levels of government.  While resident aliens can't vote, hold office, or serve on a jury, they (at least the one's on this board) still support the 2nd Amendment.  And isn't that the most common thread here?  Or is the idea to come here and find more things to fight about?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top