Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2011 5:22:07 PM EDT
I play dodgeball and softball and after every game my throwing arm throbs and aches. The pain is between the elbow and my shoulder and lasts for ours. I can't pinpoint where it's hurting with massage so I can't tell you which muscle it is that's jacked up. So, teach me how to throw a rocket without jacking up my arm.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Shakeweight for the win
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
If everybody could do it....

Just sayin'.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to throw like a mothfucker in little league and teeners years ago. (Same coach does triple A now and keeps on my ass about pitching again)

Anywho its tendonitis. When you overthrow/exert.  Well the tendon gets tiny tears in it causing, well thobbing for me.

As to fix it withought rubbing like a crack feind withought a fix I found those goofy looking arm bands that keep pressure on it help. Till you take it off.   And if its real bothersome there's always the tommy johns surgery to tighten it up.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not looking to join the major leagues, just not get punished to much for a couple hard throws :)
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm no dr but I did play quite a bit of baseball and softball.  I changed my throw years ago due to nagging pain.  I used to twist my hand and forearm when I threw the ball, along with a slight sidearm action.  I changed to a more straight technique similiar to a pitcher's where I bring my hand and forearm back to the side of my head and throw straight ahead.  No more pain.  I always wondered how a pitcher can throw balls to the wall for 6 or 8 innings and not be holding their arm in pain.  Watch a good fundamental pitcher and that may help.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Use your legs.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not looking to join the major leagues, just not get punished to much for a couple hard throws :)

2 finger fastballs and curveballs ruined me.  Now do you throw with 4 fingers?  I've noticed if you correct the axis of your throwing wiith four fingers its a lot less stress on that ligament.   YMMV of course.

Edit. The strap thing I mentioned earlier should do the trick.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Practice, weights, practice, stretching/exercises and more practice.  

I played ball from the time I could walk until I was 19 and I still play slow-pitch every so often.  It's one of those things where you do it everyday for months at a time, your arm gets built up and used to it.....I could throw 100-130 pitches in a game in HS/American Legion and only have a little soreness the next day, due to lactic acid build-up, not actual throwing.

Get some surgical tubing/resistance bands and use them to do stretches/exercises to work the arm/shoulder.  Throw catch at varying distances as often as you can (every day), etc.  Do NOT, and this is non-negotiable, do NOT try to throw hard/long distance on a non-warmed up arm.....fastest way to damage it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 finger fastballs and curveballs ruined me.  Now do you throw with 4 fingers?  I've noticed if you correct the axis of your throwing wiith four fingers its a lot less stress on that ligament.   YMMV of course.

There's some new(er) research out there these last few years that suggest it's not actually throwing curveballs that hurts the arm/elbow but the frequency of them thrown and without proper rest/breaks while young that cause long-term damage on the arm as you get older.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Take up chess.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's some new(er) research out there these last few years that suggest it's not actually throwing curveballs that hurts the arm/elbow but the frequency of them thrown and without proper rest/breaks while young that cause long-term damage on the arm as you get older.

I threw a lot.  Every game. I'm not looking to blame anybody.  Hell, I'm happy. I'd pitch again.

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
A decent warmup beforehand and get into swimming if you have a spot to do it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I threw a lot.  Every game. I'm not looking to blame anybody.  Hell, I'm happy. I'd pitch again.

Oh, no, I wasn't suggesting that.  I was just saying, some of the newer research out these days in sports science/exercise is that these young kids these days aren't getting proper rest/breaks in between pitching.  I think my professor said a few weeks ago that Tommy John surgeries are up like 50-75% compared to 20 years ago because of parents pushing their kids to work harder and do more without allowing rest so it's hurting kids elbows faster/sooner.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Dodge ball?
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dodge ball?

Greatest game ever invented.

Too bad we can't teach/play it in PE anymore.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dodge ball?

I thought so too when I was a 5th grader.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dodge ball?

I thought so too when I was a 5th grader.

Played in a 5v5 tournament last week at the Rec...my team took second because the girl who was reffing sucked fucking dick - otherwise we would have won the entire thing and gotten the grab bag of goodies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top