Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2011 10:32:23 AM EDT
I've been listening to talk radio lately and I've started wondering why train companies (CSX inparticular) advertise on the radio?

I have never even had the chance to ship anything via rail, is this a common practice?  Does anybody here ship things via rail regularly?

Just seems odd.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#1]
You've never ordered a boxcar of ammo???
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I've asked the same thing about GE advertising locomotives and passenger jet engines on the evening news.  What the fuck are they expecting, old people to turn to their other and say "Ya know Agnes, what we need around here is a gol-dang locomotive!  Get my money clip!"
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've asked the same thing about GE advertising locomotives and passenger jet engines on the evening news.  What the fuck are they expecting, old people to turn to their other and say "Ya know Agnes, what we need around here is a gol-dang locomotive!  Get my money clip!"

exectives and go getters watch the news too ya know...
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy their stock is what they are "advertising"
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]
PR. They want to maintain a good public image of rail freight.

More recently, they're trying to push a "greener" image, rather than letting people assume that trains are huge smoke-rolling, monster polluting, loud obnoxious vehicles. They're not advertising rail freight as much as build a good image of the rail industry.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#6]
There are people who are in positions where they need to decide how and what services to use for shipping goods.

Also, the public image of a company can help shareholders out immensely
Speed
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Move to the DC area. We get radio ads for F-35Bs.

The KC-X tanker thing was fucking unbearable and made me want to see both Boeing and EADS' headquarters catch on fire.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they're expected to be swayed on huge purchases like locomotives based on a 30 second spot situated between Polident and Preparation H?

Edit:  I get the public image thing, it still seems funny to advertise something like that as if it were an F-150.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

And they're expected to be swayed on huge purchases like locomotives based on a 30 second spot situated between Polident and Preparation H?
Edit:  I get the public image thing, it still seems funny to advertise something like that as if it were an F-150.

Ah, see...that's not how marketing works all the time. Repetition builds brand recognition. Brand recognition makes the consumer more prone to choose, or at least consider the product.

Coca Cola doesn't have to paint giant murals with nothing but the logo on it...but they do to keep the repetition and thus the reputation of the brand alive

Seeing a patch for Quaker State Oil on a Nascar drivers jumpsuit doesn't make me want to buy Quaker State Oil, but I may take a second glance at it on the shelf after seeing the logo 10x the day before...

License plate covers from  car dealership, swag pens w/ company logos, etc...all doing the same job.
Speed

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Creating and maintaining a good public image can help companies in a variety of ways beyond direct sales of the product or service.  

Just as a "for instance" - if someone sues a corporation and and tries to prove in court they are mean, evil and intentionally did whatever foul thing they supposedly did, it helps if the general public's overall opinion - and by extension the opinion of potential jurors - of the corporation is is good.  

In the case of the train, maybe they are trying to head off a potential liberal attack on their industry by portraying them selves as green? Maybe they see the government regs the car industry and others are heading toward because of pollution issues and they are trying to get out ahead of it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You've never ordered a boxcar of ammo???

Not that I would announce here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:40:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Move to the DC area. We get radio ads for F-35Bs.

That, I haven't heard.

The KC-X tanker thing was fucking unbearable and made me want to see both Boeing and EADS' headquarters catch on fire.

Got those in San Diego, too.  Buncha whining and bellyaching if you ask me... "It's no fair that the other guy won, call Congress and complain!"  "We won fair and square, call Congress and tell them to buy more stuff from us!"  A pox upon the both of them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#13]
They are just spending some of that tax money they got from the gov't on advertising so you

will feel good about them getting your money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top