Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2011 4:37:20 PM EDT
I have noticed a trend when driving my 64 mustang. When people see/hear the car behind them they immediately start driving more slowly, and, more often then not, below the speed limit. (10 over the limit is average on surface streets around here). It gets irritating very quickly. Does anyone else have this issue when driving muscle cars or other fast cars?

ETA: -negative on the tailgating, its a no no with drum brakes.
       - on roads where you cant pass, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue.

I don't want to hear it about the paint. I got it on the cheap a couple months back and have been sorting out mechanical issues.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
PIT them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It's so you'll pass them.

I like to hear the old cars go by and admire.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
all the time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I slow down for tailgaters.  I do not adjust my driving based upon the type of car behind me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I slow down for tailgaters.  I do not adjust my driving based upon the type of car behind me unless it's a cop.

FIFY

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Nope.  Everyone around here knows what the lights on the front of a 90's F150 look like and don't give me a second thought.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nothing else in the world sounds like a 4barrel carb open up.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread is retarded.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This thread is retarded.

Don't you mean "dildos"?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't think they started makin a stange till the first quarter of 65.

So they called it a 64 1/2 since the 65 model hadn't beed released yet.

I hear the 64 1/2 is one of the more collectable models.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]
i didnt know they made a 64,
i thought the first year was 64 and a half
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have noticed a trend when driving my 64 mustang. When people see/hear the car behind them they immediately start driving more slowly, and, more often then not, below the speed limit. (10 over the limit is average on surface streets around here). It gets irritating very quickly. Does anyone else have this issue when driving muscle cars or other fast cars?

Happens to me all the time. However, my car has a whole bunch of red and blue lights
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to do this, cut the blinker on drop a gear and floor it; but feeding a big cube small block takes alot of gas!

Problem with forcing these older cars to pass you is that alot of them run very well at cruising speed, once they slow down a bit or get into traffic the temp starts to go up. My car has a 4 core aluminum rad with a clutch fan and the engine would get a bit warm if enough air wasn't streaming in. I added an electric pusher to the front and it was still iffy in traffic. Now I am in NC, and it gets hot during the summer. This coupled with a very stout motor provides me with constant cooling issues, the last thing I want to deal with is people slowing down on purpose.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Happens to me all the time. However, my car has a whole bunch of red and blue lights

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

No pictures of the car yet?

This thread sucks

Its a Mustang thread, post yours.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread is retarded.

Don't you mean "dildos"?

If only some one started a poop thread and everyone replied dildos.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:39:56 PM EDT
[#20]
How much you want out of it?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Shit.

Same color Mustang. Same year. Mom n Dad's Hertz rental was that.

Hate seeing the pics.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:44:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to do this, cut the blinker on drop a gear and floor it; but feeding a big cube small block takes alot of gas!

Problem with forcing these older cars to pass you is that alot of them run very well at cruising speed, once they slow down a bit or get into traffic the temp starts to go up. My car has a 4 core aluminum rad with a clutch fan and the engine would get a bit warm if enough air wasn't streaming in. I added an electric pusher to the front and it was still iffy in traffic. Now I am in NC, and it gets hot during the summer. This coupled with a very stout motor provides me with constant cooling issues, the last thing I want to deal with is people slowing down on purpose.

Is that a symptom of the motor size or being an old car?  
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#23]
My little 75 BMW blends right in till I hit the go pedal and then people go what the fuck was that that went buy me at warp 9.

On a related note,  I had a guy in an Anglia follow me the other day,  we exchanged waves at the next light.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

what exactly are you referring to...
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Nope, not around here.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sale sign in window.

What's it got under the hood & how much are you asking.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Is that a symptom of the motor size or being an old car?  
[/quote]

Its a symptom of both. The older cars werent designed aerodynamicaly to cool/force air over the radiator and engine compartment the same way modern cars do. Older cars need more airflow to cool as they tend to run a bit less efficiantly than modern fuel injected cars. They just weren't made to sit in traffic.

I upgraded the cooling system and utilized a larger/more efficient radiator to offset the engine. It's a big cube (408 ci) stroked small block with aluminum heads and a 950 double pump holley set up to run on race gas.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Every time I drive my Trans Am I get every jackass in a fucking rice box or rusted out piece of shit pickup trying to race me. I never even drive the damn thing anymore because I don't want to deal with all the fucktards on the road.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sale sign in window.

oh, thats a picture from when i bought it, its not for sale unless someone is willing to pay something outrageous for it.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I must apologize to the woman I did this too on Saturday, but it wasn't my fault she was driving a newly purchased Mercedes convertible with the top down.

My girls in the back seat asked, "Daddy, is that Barbie?"

It may have been.  

All three of us complimented her on her ride.

Nice Mustang, BTW.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No pictures of the car yet?

This thread sucks

Post a pic of your Stang DK
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Every time I drive my Trans Am I get every jackass in a fucking rice box or rusted out piece of shit pickup trying to race me. I never even drive the damn thing anymore because I don't want to deal with all the fucktards on the road.
QFT  I have a 67 coupe and I cant tell you how many teen or 20 something douches will try

to get me to race them. If they get their Civic totalled, they can find another the same day.

My car, not so much.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For sale sign in window.

I know where you can find a clean '66 convertible 289 resto for 17K if you're looking
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top