Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2011 11:17:06 AM EDT
Right now Sportsmans warehouse is having a sale on their exclusive Tikka T3 lite in stainless fluted. It weighs 5.3 lbs, adjustable trigger, guaranteed moa accuracy, free floated, the works.

Right now I have a Ruger M77 mkii in 300 win mag. I bought it 10 years ago. Its the skeleton or "boat paddle" stock with wood inserts instead of synthetic. Some would say its hideous, but I've always liked it. It shoots good, im not sure exactly how good though. My buddy shot his deer at 530 yards with it last year and made a perfect shot. I've killed deer, bears, elk and other various animals with it. I love how light it is and the fact that it can take a beating like a red headed step child and still shoot decent. I don't like that it is blued as I hunt a lot in some pretty nasty weather. If I sold it, I could probably get a decent price out of it because of the rarity of the model and its in pretty good condition.

My question is, do I sell the old ruger and buy the new Tikka, or just hold off and keep hunting with the ruger for sentimental reasons?

Getting both isn't an option right now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you feel your ruger is deficient?

If you aren't capable of shooting past the Ruger's accuracy level in the field, or to the point of the Tikka's accuracy under those same field conditions, then having a gun that accurate does nothing extra for you.

Remember, you only have to be able to hit a basketball sized area at whatever range you're aiming at. If you like your Ruger, don't dump it unless there is some reason to do so.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a fan of Ruger bolt-actions, and never will be, so, even though I much prefer the old Tikkas over the new ones, I'd trade a ruger for a T3 any day of the week.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep the Ruger, pick up the Tikka anyway; aka “Both!” in true ARFcom fashion.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Keep the Ruger, pick up the Tikka anyway; aka “Both!” in true ARFcom fashion.

this

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:03:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for both.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Tikka T3 is the best current Value in bolt guns on the market

Ruger - well I've not had good luck with them
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
If you like your Ruger keep it.  I don't like Rugers.  Most are way sub paar for accuracy and just are not my type of rifle.  I love my tikka's.  All  of mine are sub moa and are light, well built, well balanced and all have awesome triggers.  It's your choice.  If your ruger does what you need to do keep it.  If you want another caliber get a tikka or two!!  The 300 win mag would have quite a kick in such a light rifle.  If planning a potent cartridge like the 300 win mag in the tikka plan on getting some good after market rings/mounts as the ones that come with the tikka have a reputation for not holding on very good.  Also, It's my belief that the Tikka Bolt is the smoothest in the industry and are the standard by which all others should be judged.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Two different Rugers myself over the years , and I didnt care for the accuracy in either .

They were both Varmints , 22-250 and a 243 , and both  laminate stocks , gray finish SS . . . . . drop dead gorgeous rifles , but neither could print like a 700 or Savage 12 of comparable specs .

I love Ruger pistols , but so far  I have no love for their bolt-guns .  YMMV

I have never owned a Sako or Tikka and intend on remedying that fault some day soon .
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

even though I much prefer the old Tikkas over the new ones, I'd trade a ruger for a T3 any day of the week.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
My first bolt gun was a Ruger M77 MKII in 300WinMag. After a rocky first shoot (Scoped Myself ) I fell in love with it. I have been looking for another for some time. I don't have any experience with Tikka but some folks I know like them a lot.

So I am going to have to go with Ruger but would say get whatever feels good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#11]
w00t, jusrt picked up a 7magVTIKKA

GOBSU1
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

GOBSU1

[Brick Top] In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary .  .  .  come again? [/Brick Top]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I have never heard of a decent Ruger Rifle. Most are minute of barn, only while inside the barn.

So, my vote is anything other than Ruger, except the new Remington Rifles which suck almost equally bad.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I must be the only one on the planet that had Ruger rifles that shot well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]
what caliber is the Tikka you're looking at buying?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have never heard of a decent Ruger Rifle. Most are minute of barn, only while inside the barn.

So, my vote is anything other than Ruger, except the new Remington Rifles which suck almost equally bad.

Wut?

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Define your definition of well, Some think a 10 foot target a 5 feet is good, but most of us don't.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

I am seeing a lot of the Fudds this year have lots of problems with the new Walmart Remington rifles at the range. Saw one get so mad he threw it down the range while trying to zero it for hunting season. The Walmart Remington rifles Quality Control must have fallen off a cliff.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a T3 and love it.  That's what I recommend to all of my friends.  I have shot three different T3's and each one has shot under 1/2".  I shot a .375" group at a 100 yards with one chambered in .270 Win.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#20]
If the Ruger is doing its job, I would keep it and save up for the Tikka later. If I remember correctly, most or all the wood insert Zeytel  stocked Rugers I saw back in the 90's were special run rifles for some hunting store? Sort of like they do now for Lipsey's?.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wut?

I am seeing a lot of the Fudds this year have lots of problems with the new Walmart Remington rifles at the range. Saw one get so mad he threw it down the range while trying to zero it for hunting season. The Walmart Remington rifles Quality Control must have fallen off a cliff.

Whats a wal-mart Remington?  A 710?    Had one in the shop when they first came out..   Bolt was tight and felt like it was finished with a grinder.    Cheesy ass plastic all over.   felt like a 18lb trigger.     horrible gun.  

Sad part is, if you clamped it down on the bench,  it really didn't shoot too bad              

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Right now Sportsmans warehouse is having a sale on their exclusive Tikka T3 lite in stainless fluted. It weighs 5.3 lbs, adjustable trigger, guaranteed moa accuracy, free floated, the works.

Right now I have a Ruger M77 mkii in 300 win mag. I bought it 10 years ago. Its the skeleton or "boat paddle" stock with wood inserts instead of synthetic. Some would say its hideous, but I've always liked it. It shoots good, im not sure exactly how good though. My buddy shot his deer at 530 yards with it last year and made a perfect shot. I've killed deer, bears, elk and other various animals with it. I love how light it is and the fact that it can take a beating like a red headed step child and still shoot decent. I don't like that it is blued as I hunt a lot in some pretty nasty weather. If I sold it, I could probably get a decent price out of it because of the rarity of the model and its in pretty good condition.

My question is, do I sell the old ruger and buy the new Tikka, or just hold off and keep hunting with the ruger for sentimental reasons?

Getting both isn't an option right now.

A few guys have brought those Tikka's to long range tactical rifle matches at my club.  I have not been impressed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

Whats a wal-mart Remington?  A 710?    Had one in the shop when they first came out..   Bolt was tight and felt like it was finished with a grinder.    Cheesy ass plastic all over.   felt like a 18lb trigger.     horrible gun.  

Sad part is, if you clamped it down on the bench,  it really didn't shoot too bad              

I try my best to steer people away from the 710 and 770, but some people I know just don't understand that you get what you pay for
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Define your definition of well, Some think a 10 foot target a 5 feet is good, but most of us don't.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I hunted for 10 years with a MKII in 7mm Mag. It came with the skeletonized stock, I put a Ruger wood stock on it. I sold it in 2007 and bought a Remington Ti in 260. I wish I had the Ruger back, mainly for sentimental reasons but that gun took care of business and it looked sharp, a lot of people wanted it, the deer were glad I sold it. I've never been impressed with Tikkas.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wut?

I try my best to steer people away from the 710 and 770, but some people I know just don't understand that you get what you pay for
Don't blame you,  as far as I know that was the only one that weren't through the shop..    It sat for around a year, It ended up getting sold as a used gun because of our own morbid curiosity about how it would shoot.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:21:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a Tikka T3 in 308, and it will shoot around 1" groups of a bench with $15 a box Federals. I ain't complaining. I've also seen a guy shooting one of the Rugers, which I can't think of the name, and shooting around 1/2" with handloads.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

Can't speak to the 770 but I've only heard that the 710s shot very well.

I've also heard they broke easy and weren't durable at all, not to mention weren't great to shoot. Sticky bolts abound and shifting points of impact.

All secondhand knowledge, but for some people a gun like that, that they'll zero and shoot a few times a year, is more than sufficient.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Nope, I got a matching pair of M77 MK1s in .270 and 30-06 that I love, and have killed many a deer with
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GOBSU1

[Brick Top] In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary .  .  .  come again? [/Brick Top]

ok....and I suppose this time with less alcohol? sorry bout that, neighbors were helping me console the loss of free tickets to the BSU / wolfpack revenge game by loading me up with chillibombs.....  I had a business comp me tickets, but I didn't get the voicemail until after the game started

yesterday I got one of the tikkas OP is referring to just for something new/different/lightweight (in 7mm) for elk camp.
Ruger has the Mauser type action, a classic. but just doesn't tickle my fancy
almost got the Winchester all weather, but the stock has a cheek peice that I can't use (lefty),
came real close to getting a browning x bolt stainless stalker, but it felt too gussied up, bulkier & heavier than the tikka

originally didn't like the tikka, but looking at it from a "this is a tool" perspective it fit the bill for what I was looking for
freaky light & much sleeker compared to the LTR I carried last.  and now it's really starting to grow on me

Fluted barrel is gorgeous, action is slick, short bolt-lift like the browning, awesome trigger

magazine fed was originally a negative, but now that I've played with it I see that it is actually going to be just fine. You can top load singles through the ejection port on an empty mag if you have too, and having a spare mag sure is handy for a fast, fumble free reload.
the trigger guard is plastic- another negative err I mean: The trigger guard is glass-fiber reinforced copolymer polypropylene,  a positive!

going to put a MRT on it as soon as I get the mounts

http://i54.tinypic.com/2j63cqt.jpg

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Tikka T3 in .30-06 and it's one hell of a gun.  If you go out there at 100 yards with handloads, punch a round through the target and then each of the next rounds seems like you're off paper.   You're not.  You're putting them all through the same hole.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:51:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
However, I looked at the Tikka lightweight rifle at Cabela's on Friday and its rails don't look a heck of a lot deeper.  The removable box magazine eats up a lot of real estate.  I would still bet that way if I was choosing between the two.

The beauty and strength of the Tikka receiver is the solid topstrap.

The Ruger receiver top is cut away like most bolt actions.

The Tikka receiver is solid across the top.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#34]
My son's 77 in 30-06 stainless with the laminate stock was 1.25 out of the box with a 1-4 scope.
Accurate enough.

More accurate than I am, at least.  My 13 year old son shot it better than I did.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Here is my Ruger 77 made in 1979  I just put the Weaver grand Slam on it and went to sight it in at a 100 yrds using Federal 180 grn 308 S.P
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top