Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/30/2011 5:24:55 PM EDT
Any body else found the male nurses give MUCH better standard of care than female ?

I have never been cared for in a hospital  ,however ,3 outa of 4 of my kids have been , for life threating situations , 2 burst appendix , 1 hit by a truck.

In EVERY case the male nurse care went way beyond what was provided by the females , none were subastandard , but usually nothing extra.

Enough so that kids (paitents) , Grandparents , and wife and I commented on the difference.

What has been yor experiance ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy who looked after my dad in the ICU was top-notch.  I wrote the hospital director to thank him for all the hard work.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been in nursing forever. I started as a nursing assistant.

I've seen excellent care by both men and women RNs. Bad care by both.

I do suspect that Men>Women by about 55/45.

I could write a book about how nursing has gone down hill but won't take the time now.

When nurses used to come from Diploma programs (basically OJT with classroom on top of a full work week on the wards) the quality of graduate was much higher in the work ethic, do the right thing and take damn good care of people. A true BLUE COLLAR RN.

When it went University we still got good nurses as long as admission standards were high and people were doing it for the right reasons. So I feel I was a good RN but a little less forged in fire as the diploma nurses. But maybe a little smarter than some, less than others.

Nowadays, I see an increasing number of grads who have no interest in patient care. They think because they went to college they don't have to work. That their job is to sit on their ass and chart  or pass meds. They don't get their hands dirty. So their patients look disgusting. And when you are a nurse, if your patient looks bad, you look worse. They can't help it. You can. But many new nurses have no shame and aren't embarrassed when I ask the last time a patient's hair was shampoo'ed or teeth brushed. If the patient can't do it themselves then you must. Some of the new RNs? If they can't do it then it ain't gettin done. I'm a college grad, I don't brush teeth or stand at the bedside feeding someone.

OP, I'm glad you got some good RNs who took care of your kids. There are plenty out there but there is a growing fraction of lowlife scum becoming RNs (and Doctors btw) who have no interest in caring for people.

I'm sick of the following true to life stereotypes:

"I'm a single mom. So I went back to school to be an RN. I'm a new grad but I might have to take off. My boyfriend wants us to have a kid"

YOU FUCKING CUNT. Why don't you go back to what you do best....making babies on your back. You are too stupid and too lazy to be an ICU RN.

"Girl...I gots my RN now I'm gonna see how I can get paid to go back to school and get a HNIC job".

Really? You fucking moron!!! The ink isn't dry on your goddam license (no not your cosmetology license you used to have) and you're looking to do graduate work. You can't even work a thermometer. You eat snickers and chart all day while treating the nursing assistants like slaves.

FUCK YOU.

OK Rant over.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I honestly think men look at nursing in a different way than women. Where I work you can definately tell a difference when there is a strong male nurse presence versus a female presence.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

OK Rant over.

Truth. Sad, but truth it is....I could write a chapter or two in your book for you.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK Rant over.

Truth. Sad, but truth it is....I could write a chapter or two in your book for you.

My grandmother had surgery at UAB in Birmingham. I was so pleased that in her recovery, the RNs were all old.

It was something like 23, 17, and 32 years experience on 1st, 2nd and 3rd shift. They were awesome. I still took off work and stayed with her on 3rd shift and the rest of the family covered the other shifts.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Of course there is always going to be good and bad in every subset of the population, but I can vouch for seeing what EvanWilliams spoke of above.  I am new to nursing but pride myself on being involved in every area of patient care that I can be.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Of course there is always going to be good and bad in every subset of the population, but I can vouch for seeing what EvanWilliams spoke of above.  I am new to nursing but pride myself on being involved in every area of patient care that I can be.

That's all it takes, my friend. If you are the kind of person who likes to do a good job, and cares about people. You will leave the donut eating,

ass sitting RNs in the dust. You will feel abused (because you will be. If you are strong they will give you more work) but you will build skill and strength.

A good young RN is far better than an old bad one. Giving a shit is a huge part of the job.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a male and I'm in school right now so this thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK Rant over.

You are hereby Invited!!!!

I'm sure it makes you angry as it does me. But what can you do?

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I am a male and I'm in school right now so this thread is relevant to my interests.

Nursing is a great career. Don't limit yourself though!!!!

Medicine, Dentistry, Vet Med,

PA, Perfusionist, Biotechnology.....all good careers.

Anything I can do to help, let me know.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:38:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
i currently work in a hospital.  i think that there are good and bad nurses, both male and female.  that being said, i think that the male nurses are there to do a job and get it over with.  i have seen the females, have gossip circles and surf the internet shopping for purses or shoes.  don't get me wrong if you are all caught up, your charting is up to the minute, all meds are given, and your patients are clean, there is nothing wrong with goofing off for a few minutes....  as long as you stay on top of your game.   sadly i have seen the goofing off happening when other things should have been done.  

i can list the good vs ok/bad nurses here.  and there are male and female on both sides....  

some of them have been around for years, but have grown complacent and are not proactive.  does that mean they are bad?  no, but it also means that they have room for improvement...  

ymmv.

S
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I have just started my senior year in a 4 year program.  Being 35, and one of 5 males in my class of 80, I see a definite lack of drive in some of the other 'younger' students who have done nothing but go to school.  It really makes me mad when my classmates/soon to be peers expect others to do their work.  There are a few who I would flat out not want as my nurse, they scare me!  

One of my male professors pulled all of the men aside one day when we first were accepted into the program and said to (I paraphrase) us that since we were men, we would be scrutinized more and held to higher standards because we were men.  Don't let him down.  That has been our motto ever since.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Giving a shit is a huge part of the job.

Giving a shit is everything.

The day you stop caring about the people you are supposed to care for, walk away.

I know too many RNs that should have walked years ago. I shows in their work quality and ethic.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nowadays, I see an increasing number of grads who have no interest in patient care.

It seems to me that most of the medical field these days is filled with those types of people - people who really don't care about what they are doing. They're just doing it for the money, or because they thought it would be easy, or ... etc. etc.

After going to almost half-a-dozen GPs over the past 3 years, I've given up on trying to find a decent physician that actually cares about something.

(I used to draw a comparison to House, saying that you either want Dr House - somebody who doesn't care about you, but really does care about solving the medical problem at hand - or Dr Cameron - somebody who actually cares about you. The problem is that you can't find either these days; just a bunch of apathetic doctors that don't even care about figuring out the underlying problem.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Sadly I've had too many experiences with nurses, PAs, and paramedics in recent years.

Maybe because I'm a guy but I've been able to identify with male nurses more.  Nothing like talking football while they do their thing.  

Of course that doesn't mean I can't talk football with the female nurses (and I'm sure there's plenty that know more than me) but they seem somewhat unsympathetic and seem to look at you as a PITA or a wimp for even being there.  Not all and I don't want to paint with a wide brush but this has been my experience.

I had an experience in 2009 where a female doctor, nurse, etc. thought I had an STD and basically treated me like shit becasue they assumed I was screwing around on my wife.  In reality they missed I had a staph infection and an abscess.  Why?  I don't know, maybe they got it in their head I must be a cheating Mfer and they just ignored the other medical realities.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why?  I don't know, maybe they got it in their head I must be a cheating Mfer and they just ignored the other medical realities.  

I've found that to be a problem, too - when doctors or nurses pretty much decide that it is X or isn't Y, and just ignore evidence to the contrary of their presupposed conclusion.

(For me, it was "you can't possibly have that condition, because young males don't get it". You'd think that somebody exhibiting symptoms that indicate a condition that is statistically rare for their demographic would actually increase their interest, not make them dismissive of the patient's complaints and questions.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Male nurses have a stigma assigned to them throughout their carreer that is a bullshit tag.

Male nurses are not gay (for the most part), and those who enter the profession and put that stigma behind them are the most excellent people I have ever dealt with, and actually seek out when medical care is needed.

For some reason, they seem to leave any sort of personal life bullshit drama in the parking lot of their workplace, and focus on going to work and doing the job they are trained for.

All drama aside, I have never known a female nurse who is not beyond disclosing her personal life in some way to a patient, male nurses do not do that with male patients (unless hunting and fishing enter the conversation).

Male nurses are professional and hold themselves to higher standards than their female counterparts.

This is just my humble opinion, afterall I am a car salesman.....LOL
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#20]
One particular male nurse I've worked with certainly did not fit your observation.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Most men define themselves by what they do. So if a man is a nurse, it isn't just a job, it is what he is. That defining characteristic probably motives a lot of male nurses to go above and beyond the call of duty for people since they don't want to tarnish what they are. There are always exceptions though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I could write a book about how nursing has gone down hill but won't take the time now.
When nurses used to come from Diploma programs (basically OJT with classroom on top of a full work week on the wards) the quality of graduate was much higher in the work ethic, do the right thing and take damn good care of people. A true BLUE COLLAR RN.
When it went University we still got good nurses as long as admission standards were high and people were doing it for the right reasons. So I feel I was a good RN but a little less forged in fire as the diploma nurses. But maybe a little smarter than some, less than others.
Nowadays, I see an increasing number of grads who have no interest in patient care. They think because they went to college they don't have to work. That their job is to sit on their ass and chart  or pass meds. They don't get their hands dirty. So their patients look disgusting. And when you are a nurse, if your patient looks bad, you look worse. They can't help it. You can. But many new nurses have no shame and aren't embarrassed when I ask the last time a patient's hair was shampoo'ed or teeth brushed. If the patient can't do it themselves then you must. Some of the new RNs? If they can't do it then it ain't gettin done. I'm a college grad, I don't brush teeth or stand at the bedside feeding someone.

OP, I'm glad you got some good RNs who took care of your kids. There are plenty out there but there is a growing fraction of lowlife scum becoming RNs (and Doctors btw) who have no interest in caring for people.

"I'm a single mom. So I went back to school to be an RN. I'm a new grad but I might have to take off. My boyfriend wants us to have a kid"
YOU FUCKING CUNT. Why don't you go back to what you do best....making babies on your back. You are too stupid and too lazy to be an ICU RN.

"Girl...I gots my RN now I'm gonna see how I can get paid to go back to school and get a HNIC job".
Really? You fucking moron!!! The ink isn't dry on your goddam license (no not your cosmetology license you used to have) and you're looking to do graduate work. You can't even work a thermometer. You eat snickers and chart all day while treating the nursing assistants like slaves.
FUCK YOU.

OK Rant over.

I've been visiting my granddad weekly at the nursing home, and I can say that you speak the truth!

Preach it, brother!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:05:41 PM EDT
[#23]
There are a lot of good female nurses....

Then there are a few female nurses who are more into the job for the drama of the work place and the job than anything else...
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Male nurses have a stigma assigned to them throughout their carreer that is a bullshit tag.....

Last night I had to place a PICC in the ICU. Older (70's) couple in the room. I was getting consent from the Husband and his wife kept badgering him about the dog at home.

"Quiet dear, I'm trying to talk with the Doctor.....". Just then the Hospitalist (MD) came in an introduced herself to the husband and said, "I see you've met our PICC nurse...any other question for him before he gets started?"

The guy was like .  

Quoted:
If a man is a nurse, it isn't just a job, it is what he is.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#25]
As a student nurse and CNA I've observed that the men just do the job, the women like to talk and gossip about random things and will sometimes make patients wait.

If I as a PCA or SN come up to a nurse saying the patient needs something they'll finish their little conversation before doing whats needed.

Patients shouldn't have to wait unnecessarily and should always come first.

Thats my only real complaint.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Male RN of 3 years, from a diploma school.  I will say that I've noticed that diploma school nurses are more apt to hit the ground running, because they've done more of the actual work and less reading about what doing work is like.  That said I know some BSNs that kick ass.  I think male nurses are generally more focused on the job aspect of nursing.  
Guys seem to be more along the lines of "Hi I'm Wasz your nurse tonight", assess pt, medicate as needed, perform tasks pt needs" After that then if there's time  then discussion commences.
Females tend to to lean more towards "Hi I'm Sue I'll be your nurse tonight", assess, ask why they had surgery/how they got sick, talk about that and other things, medicate, etc...
So if you're the kind of person who notices, the nurse came in, was polite, took care of my needs, made sure I was safe and left, you probably prefer male nurses.  

My other thought on the subject, men still stick out a little in people's minds.  Like a woman shooter, there's less of them and you don't expect to see them as much so they stand out a little for that reason alone.

Pts do comment fairly regularly that they prefer male nurses though.  They may just be buttering me up trying to get more dilaudid though...

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any body else found the male nurses give MUCH better standard of care than female ? Considering the ratio of female to male nurses... No.

snip

What has been yor experiance ? There are a few superb nurses. Some of the are female, one or two of them are male. Taking into account the female:male ratio, I'd guess the wheat:chaff ratio is roughly the same. ER nurses, in my limited experience, are the exception. Male ER nurses that I've known have almost always been cream of the crop, whereas the female ER nurses are normally distributed. YMMV.

ETA: Now that I think about it, most of the male ER "nurses" I know are probably paramedics.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#28]
One of the reasons I am getting in to nursing is for SHTF prep...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:51:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
One of the reasons I am getting in to nursing is for SHTF prep...

Keep in mind that you'll need tools to apply your skills if SHTF. Start collecting now.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:52:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Edit: NFA phone and secret posting during staff meeting don't work so well.....
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Doh...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:55:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Male nurse here but many patients (and some female nurses) say that male nurses seem to know more.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Any body else found the male nurses give MUCH better standard of care than female ?

I've had a bunch of great experiences with women, and some straight up nasty bitches.

Men don't seem to have the bitchy attitude problems.

But like I say, it really seems to depend on the woman.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Male nurse here but many patients (and some female nurses) say that male nurses seem to know more.

Men in that profession seem to want to be there.

Women, well that seems to vary greatly.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

FUCK YOU.

OK Rant over.

LOL, I can heartily verify what this man sayeth!

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:15:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't know about that..... I really didn't care for it when the flaming gay guy shaved my chest hair.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#37]
I work with nurses. IMO the male nurses are less likely to have shitty attitudes, are more likely to do the work instead of cut corners, and are easier to work with in general. All that is moot though because they don't have tits (moobs do not count unless we're in prison). I choose female nurses.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:42:25 AM EDT
[#38]
We have three male nurses (including myself) on the unit I work on. The atmosphere on the unit is totally different when one or more of us is on. The female nurses all agree that a man seems to calm the work environment. Women are catty bitches, us guys don't give a shit about the workplace drama. We care about our jobs, and when there is downtime, we care about fart jokes. I treat my patients as people and with the respect they deserve. Most of the female nurses do the same, and some are real bitches to the patient. I am appalled at times to the things I hear some nurses say to the patient. It is even worse when I establish a good relationship with a patient, go home, and come back the next night to find out the day nurse has destroyed all trust that was established.

All that said, I just accepted a job that will take me away from the bedside and patient care.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

We have three male nurses (including myself) on the unit I work on. The atmosphere on the unit is totally different when one or more of us is on. The female nurses all agree that a man seems to calm the work environment. Women are catty bitches, us guys don't give a shit about the workplace drama. We care about our jobs, and when there is downtime, we care about fart jokes. I treat my patients as people and with the respect they deserve. Most of the female nurses do the same, and some are real bitches to the patient. I am appalled at times to the things I hear some nurses say to the patient. It is even worse when I establish a good relationship with a patient, go home, and come back the next night to find out the day nurse has destroyed all trust that was established.

All that said, I just accepted a job that will take me away from the bedside and patient care.
Nothing wrong with that if it is a good progression for your career. The problem comes from those who despise patients and families and who can't get away fast enough.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Last time I was in the ER my RN was a male, retired HMC. He was giving the ER Dr advice about stitching me up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Last time I was in the ER my RN was a male, retired HMC. He was giving the ER Dr advice about stitching me up.

He may have put in more stitches than the doc. Smart docs, RNs, ANYONE  take good advice, ignore the bad and grow professionally using the experience of others.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:40:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He may have put in more stitches than the doc. Smart docs, RNs, ANYONE  take good advice, ignore the bad and grow professionally using the experience of others.

I had a pretty jagged cut/penetrating wound to the face along with a broken nose. The Dr was pretty young and RN was just advising how to stitch me up for minimal scarring apparently.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#43]
female but god bless both.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Some of the best nurses I found were in the NICU's or PICU's (God knows I spent enough time there..). I'm sure it has alot to do with who their patients are, but I was amazed these people didn't run themselves into the ground. I didn't notice any gender excelling over the other.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Some of the best nurses I found were in the NICU's...

I married one. I have know idea how she does that every day.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Male nurses have a stigma assigned to them throughout their carreer that is a bullshit tag.

Male nurses are not gay (for the most part), and those who enter the profession and put that stigma behind them are the most excellent people I have ever dealt with, and actually seek out when medical care is needed.

For some reason, they seem to leave any sort of personal life bullshit drama in the parking lot of their workplace, and focus on going to work and doing the job they are trained for.

All drama aside, I have never known a female nurse who is not beyond disclosing her personal life in some way to a patient, male nurses do not do that with male patients (unless hunting and fishing enter the conversation).

Male nurses are professional and hold themselves to higher standards than their female counterparts.

This is just my humble opinion, afterall I am a car salesman.....LOL

Captive audience my friend.  Maybe the only time they get to talk to a man that can't get out of the room
Seriously though, the amount of personal info. some of the female RNs tell their patients is unbelievable.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a fairly recent BSN graduate. In my neck of the woods, males run a bit less than 1% of the overall nursing population. All of the male nurses I've met so far are nurses because they really wanted to be a nurse.  I can't say that about all the females. A fair number of us are older (30's-40's when we went to school) and most of us in that age range actually took pay cuts to become nurses. I think that strong desire to be what we are makes a big difference. There are a lot of really great female nurses out there, but there are enough of them that saw nursing as simply a degree/diploma that gave a pretty good chance of a decent paying job right out of school to "bring down their average", because that minority seem to  treat the job like it is just a higher-paying version of flipping burgers.

I also hear lots less complaints from techs (CNAs) about male nurses. The nearly universal comment we males get from the anonymous peer reviews from our techs is that we don't mind helping them out and we are more likely to do many things ourselves instead of ordering them to do it for us, especially if it is distasteful.

Interestingly with the males, there seems to be a very disproportionate number of us that are former combat arms troops. Maybe we just don't mind getting dirty and nasty? I don't know. I do know a few males that are dicks, but they are dicks that are very very good at what they do, and good to the patients. So far, I have only met one male nurse that really wasn't providing really good patient care, and he just seemed like the kind of person that was lazy in everything about his life (he was also 22 years old).
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:11:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Male Rn for 16 years.

Was first staff member of a local hospital to be voted employee of the month by patients instead of staff.  (little boxes throughout the hospital)

Generally care is not gender specific.

Having said that ...

1)  Women are much harder on one another then they are on men.  I don't have to worry about the catty bullshit and can focus on pts better.

2)  After 10 years in the OR and PACU when i got frustrated with pt care i gave my months notice and became a QA nurse, a move most of the women i worked with could not understand and would not have contemplated, they are still there and miserable with their jobs.

3)  We had a surgeon who was a grade a douche ... he would cuss and insult everyone ... except me (6'2" 280ish) ... one of the female nurses got frustrated with this one day and yelled "Why can't you just do what you're told!"

To which i replied "that's the difference between nurses like you and nurses like me ...you will always do what you're told and i will always do what i think is right"

and i think that is the primary difference ...
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think that strong desire to be what we are makes a big difference.

Quoted:
If a man is a nurse, it isn't just a job, it is what he is.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top