Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2011 4:59:54 PM EDT
doing a DIY skylight - any recommendations as to brand or type?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Velux...........and be done with it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Velux...........and be done with it.

Yup.  Their flashings actually work.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Velux is the only way.

And do it right and get the motorized venting ones with the power shade too
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Velux - and get one that:

A. opens
and
B. has a screen
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:13:28 PM EDT
[#5]
OP...I know you are in SC......but ice/water shield it under the flashing.  The way to do it is wrap it up the sides and overlap the corners........hard to explain, I'd have to show you but it would be awefulley costly for me to come down there
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP...I know you are in SC......but ice/water shield it under the flashing.  The way to do it is wrap it up the sides and overlap the corners........hard to explain, I'd have to show you but it would be awefulley costly for me to come down there

I am willing to pay up to a hundred bucks, so as you can see, cost is no object.  Seriously - where do I find  this brand you guys are referring to?  And is there a how to guide or MS paint (haha) for this method you are describing?

and thanks for the responses guys.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am willing to pay up to a hundred bucks, so as you can see, cost is no object.  Seriously - where do I find  this brand you guys are referring to?  And is there a how to guide or MS paint (haha) for this method you are describing?

and thanks for the responses guys.

Home depot actually carries it now......or find someone with a wholesale/dealer account at a roofing/siding distributor in your area.

You will need to get the sklight and the flashing kit is sold seperately
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Velux, the only ones that dont leak.  I have installed a few dozen, best flashing kit.  They are easy for a do it yourself  if you dont have a steep pitch on the roof.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
OK, stopped by home depot today and indeed they have velux.  they have curb mounted and deck mounted - which one is best?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Deck goes flat on the roof curb requires a 2X4 frame to be built on the roof.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Tagged because the wife and I want a skylight or three when we build.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK, stopped by home depot today and indeed they have velux.  they have curb mounted and deck mounted - which one is best?

deck mounted with flashing kit
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with this one when I put mine in about five years ago.  I thought it was made much better than the Velux after examining both of them locally.  It is a curb mount type, glass and low-E rated.  I have never seen a flat mounted venting skylight, but they may make them.

The Velux is curb mount as well according to this page.

I have several of these.  They have really increased light in darker parts of the house and they do not require you to build a light box between your ceiling and roof.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top