Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/29/2011 5:44:36 AM EDT
Are the new Sig's not as good quality wise as they were a decade ago? I have a 40/.357 SIG 229 I bought a decade ago that is an amazing gun but other sig-aholics I know say the ones being produced these days are no longer quality. They compare and shoot the old ones side by side with their new buys and are disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a TT 229-9 that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago and its a great gun! I was handling a friends 229 a few months back and it honestly didn't feel as... solid(?) as mine does.

ETA: He said he's had no issue with it though. But we could both tell a difference in the "feel" between the two.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:46:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Are the new Sig's not as good quality wise as they were a decade ago? I have a 40/.357 SIG 229 I bought a decade ago that is an amazing gun but other sig-aholics I know say the ones being produced these days are no longer quality. They compare and shoot the old ones side by side with their new buys and are disappointed.

Buy with confidence, I say.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I hear a lot of talk on this, but I don't see any overwhelming evidence of it. Of course there will be problems here or there, but all manufacturers do.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]
It's Internet bullshit plain and simple.

You want a problem gun, buy  a 1911, and I love 1911s.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#5]
WHAT?  You are playing on line to much.  Get off line and head to the range.  Shot some ammo or even take a class and work that Sig out.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#6]
OP I researched the poop out of this when I was looking at purchasing a 2011 model P220....

All I found was folks SAYING they are bad, but nobody could provide an example. I think it's just the same bullshit folks do over time. Mines older, so its better! Blah!!!

BTW I purchased the 220, and it runs like a top, with and without a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#7]
my 220 and 226 was from the .22 upper special they ran a while back.

Both functioned fine. I bought the Detective or concealed carry short 220 upper slide and it runs fine.

several friends who are full-time firearms instructors stated to me that I run a dangerous game shooting my Sig's being I ran them bone dry. I now put some white lithium on the rails and then some here and there with no issues.

I think they are fine pistols and I am grateful for having one at the price my dealer was presenting them for which was a bargain.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a newer 226 and have had alot of problems with it not locking out after last shot. Tried different mags, factory mags, mecs and others. No improvement. All types of ammo to. I have talked to a couple of others up here who have the same problem with thier newer 226.  I like the gun alot otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:28:11 AM EDT
[#9]
There are a bunch of guns that fit in the "not as made as well as they were in the past" category.

The Sig design is solid but I have seen issues with magazines, crooked sights, and incorrectly assembled guns- including the 556 where a gas system was assembled completely wrong on a new gun.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#10]
took my POS P2209 dark elite with me hunting in the Texas Dust bowl last week. it was on my side the whole time covered in dust and it even flew out the buggy nose diving into the dust. shook the dust off of it and handed it to some new hand gun shooters to try out. it functioned flawlessly just like my other 5 new p220's.

yes it feels different then my German guns but they have houge rubber grips and these have either wood or aluminum grips
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:32:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I used to think the same thing about 1911s until I spent several years shooting them a lot.  The only problem with most guns is the person shooting it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, here is a post I wrote last year about this issue and my experience during a class.  I don't know . . .  I've seen issues first hand.

Old post on sig
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:43:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I have owned one Sig, and I was not impressed.

I had just turned 21, was stationed in Colorado, and wanted one of those new .357 Sigs...BAAaaaddd.

I bought a Sig Pro SP2340 in .357 Sig, and shot a couple of hundred rounds through it.

Before I sold it, I had the plastic finger groove part on the bottom of two magazines fall off.

You could see the "Squiggle" of glue on the inside of the black plastic finger groove piece where it fit to the magazine.

This was in 2000, and I wished I had some sort of photo evidence of it because many people I have told that to have a hard time believing the Sig would do such a thing.

I feel like I am telling a UFO story everytime I mention it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I had just turned 21, was stationed in Colorado, and wanted one of those new .357 Sigs...BAAaaaddd.

I bought a Sig Pro SP2340 in .357 Sig, and shot a couple of hundred rounds through it.

Before I sold it, I had the plastic finger groove part on the bottom of two magazines fall off.

You could see the "Squiggle" of glue on the inside of the black plastic finger groove piece where it fit to the magazine.

This was in 2000, and I wished I had some sort of photo evidence of it because many people I have told that to have a hard time believing the Sig would do such a thing.

Sig Pros are not quite what the classic line of SIGs are...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Taken a class at Sig and loved it. Have a West Germany made 226 and it is accurate as hell. I really wish they originally had the E2 grips, but that is something you can send to Sig and they can do for you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#16]
The adjustable folding stocks on Sig 556 rifles are rancid pieces of shit. Tapco could have done it better.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sig Pros are not quite what the classic line of SIGs are...

Yes, but still a Sig product.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:54:47 AM EDT
[#18]
What qualifies as an "old Sig" or a "new Sig"?

A place I used to work (2005-2007) issued me a P229R DAK in .357 Sig, and then decided to change out to P229R DA/SA in 9mm. I never had a single malfunction with either of them and had to qualify quarterly, shooting the DS qualification course from concealment. I also shot regularly to keep my skills up in between qual runs. Around that same time I bought a P229R DA/SA in 9mm of my own, and have never had a malfunction of any kind with it. The apparent build quality is what I would expect from a brand like Sig Sauer, and I am not at all a Sig fan boy.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have a newer 226 and have had alot of problems with it not locking out after last shot. Tried different mags, factory mags, mecs and others. No improvement. All types of ammo to. I have talked to a couple of others up here who have the same problem with thier newer 226.  I like the gun alot otherwise.

Same thing on a 229....turned out to be my right thumb was hitting the release...changed my grip and the problem went away..FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:07:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A place I used to work (2005-2007) issued me a P229R DAK in .357 Sig, and then decided to change out to P229R DA/SA in 9mm. I never had a single malfunction with either of them and had to qualify quarterly, shooting the DS qualification course from concealment. I also shot regularly to keep my skills up in between qual runs. Around that same time I bought a P229R DA/SA in 9mm of my own, and have never had a malfunction of any kind with it. The apparent build quality is what I would expect from a brand like Sig Sauer, and I am not at all a Sig fan boy.

There is supposedly a big difference in overall quality between the New Hampshire and the West German sigs.  I own 2 Sigs right now, a P556 pistols and a West German 226R in .357.  My friend who is a Sig snob will only buy W. German Sigs. He has had a few NH sigs and said they felt like crap.  I like my 226, but not in love with the .357 sig round, i need to find someone willing to trade their .40 or 9mm barrel  for my .357 barrel. My P556 had to back to sig, cause the firing pin would not come out of the bolt.   Ever since it came back it has been fine. I guess this is sort of like how a Japanese car made in Japan is usually better built than the same or similar car built in America. I also guess the same thing could be said for VW group cars. Would you rather have a VW that was built in Germany or in Mexico ? I would go for German built VW's all day long myself.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my 229.  It has been flawless with .357 and .40 but it's an older one.  I bought it new/used from a friend about 7-8 years ago.  He had it for several years and and never even fired it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Tons of sf carry them...just saying
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same thing on a 229....turned out to be my right thumb was hitting the release...changed my grip and the problem went away..FWIW.

I've found that most of the time it's the shooter when it comes to failure to slide lock on a Sig. Had the issue myself. The slide stop/release lever is in a terrible position for someone using a very high grip. The 226-X lever is much better with it's forward cut.

Also, to the poster talking about the E2 grip and sending it to Sig to have it done. You can order the parts yourself and it takes about 3 seconds. Currently have 2- 226s and just changed the trigger to the short, added the E2 grips and the SRT kit, it's fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is supposedly a big difference in overall quality between the New Hampshire and the West German sigs.  I own 2 Sigs right now, a P556 pistols and a West German 226R in .357.  My friend who is a Sig snob will only buy W. German Sigs. He has had a few NH sigs and said they felt like crap.  I like my 226, but not in love with the .357 sig round, i need to find someone willing to trade their .40 or 9mm barrel  for my .357 barrel. My P556 had to back to sig, cause the firing pin would not come out of the bolt.   Ever since it came back it has been fine. I guess this is sort of like how a Japanese car made in Japan is usually better built than the same or similar car built in America. I also guess the same thing could be said for VW group cars. Would you rather have a VW that was built in Germany or in Mexico ? I would go for German built VW's all day long myself.

The frame on mine is marked "frame made in Germany". I suppose that means the slide and barrel are made in New Hampshire?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Haven't sold my .22 Mosquito problem-child yet, but likely will.  My .40 229 stainless Elite is gone, and good riddance. I'll never buy another Sig product unless they turn things right-side up again.  Far too many malfunctions for me.  YM will hopefully V
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have a 220 Carry Elite Stainless that I am having the same issues with.
Tried all kinda of mags and ammo.
Swapped 220 full length uppers onto my lower and it is flawless.
Something with the shorter length upper.
I am left handed so now way can I hit the slide lever.

Out of 10-12 Sig's of all years and models this is the only one I have ever had a single issue with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:17:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had plenty of Sigs. Only one I've ever had a problem with is a new 229 Combat. Sent it back to Sig, repaired and back in my hands in less than two weeks.
Use my Sig 220 TB in IDPA matches as well as my 226E2 with no issues at all.
IF I'm not carrying a 1911, then it's most likely a Sig
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I have 3 sigs.  

A West German 228 that has been flawless.

A first year 229 in .40 that has been flawless.

A P220R that is about 5 years old that was a jam-o-matic right out of the box.  I sent it back to Sig and they worked on it changing the extractor and polishing the chamber and feed ramp.  It "feels" just as good as my old Sigs and seems to be reliable now.  But I have not put a ton of rounds through it yet.

So one of my three was unreliable out of the box but it has no apparent lack of quality feel to me.  And since it has the short reset trigger and the action enhancement package on it the trigger is MUCH NICER than my old sigs even though they have a lot more rounds through them.

One of my 3 220 mags is slightly out of spec.  It seems a bit too short front to back so will have trouble holding 230gr fmj rounds that are loaded a bit long.

My 228 and 229 mags are all factory zipper mags and have been flawless from day one.

A buddy of mine had a 226 Equinox in .40 that was purchased just a few years ago and it was flawless too.  He only sold it cause he wanted to go the 1911 route.  

I still consider Sigs top quality and have no qualms buying another one.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The frame on mine is marked "frame made in Germany". I suppose that means the slide and barrel are made in New Hampshire?

I believe so, my 226 is marked in the same way. I have never heard of or saw a slide and barrel marked as being made in West Germany ( doesn't mean they don't exist, older Sigs may be manufactured  completely in Germany, but i'm not 100%)
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/tailsfanatic/My%20Little%20Pony/reaction/TECGO.gif

I went through 70 sig P229 DAK pistols that had zero rounds down the bbl.  Over half of them needed new recoil springs because they were all out of spec already. Brand new, from the factory sigs that had to have the recoil springs replaces after not one single firing.  Lets not for get that the grip screws fall out constantly no matter how much loctite you put on them.  Gun oil eats away at the blue loctite. Then people try tighten the screws all the time and then you've got stripped screws.  Also, all the small parts rust to heck not matter what you do. The only thing I havn't seen rust on the newer Sigs is the slide and frame.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd18/tailsfanatic/My%20Little%20Pony/reaction/TECGO.gif

I went through 70 sig P229 DAK pistols that had zero rounds down the bbl.  Over half of them needed new recoil springs because they were all out of spec already. Brand new, from the factory sigs that had to have the recoil springs replaces after not one single firing.  Lets not for get that the grip screws fall out constantly no matter how much loctite you put on them.  Gun oil eats away at the blue loctite. Then people try tighten the screws all the time and then you've got stripped screws.  Also, all the small parts rust to heck not matter what you do. The only thing I havn't seen rust on the newer Sigs is the slide and frame.

The newer slides are stainless( as of i think 94 and later) and the frames are an aluminum, alloy in the later guns, so those parts should never rust or acquire any corrosion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I went through 70 sig P229 DAK pistols that had zero rounds down the bbl. Over half of them needed new recoil springs because they were all out of spec already. Brand new, from the factory sigs that had to have the recoil springs replaces after not one single firing. Lets not for get that the grip screws fall out constantly no matter how much loctite you put on them. Gun oil eats away at the blue loctite. Then people try tighten the screws all the time and then you've got stripped screws. Also, all the small parts rust to heck not matter what you do. The only thing I havn't seen rust on the newer Sigs is the slide and frame.

The newer slides are stainless( as of i think 94 and later) and the frames are an aluminum, alloy in the later guns, so those parts should never rust or acquire any corrosion.

Oh but they do. Slide stop, take down lever, Front and rear sight, trigger, bbl inside and out, hammer. Of course, I work in a salt water environment as well at it being extremely humid down here. I've put away lightly oiled guns and pull them out a month or two later and they're rusted.  

All of my weapons get fresh water wash down to get  the dang salt off of them. The M9 held up much better than this thing ever has in my experience.  

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I would never judge a gun as being better or worse than an older model until properly broken in.  Some people don't even come close to breaking them in before they are whining about them.  I over heard a guy in a gun store awhile back complain his recent purchase was a piece of crap.  The store manager asked him how many rounds were fired in it and he replied he hadn't even fired a box thru it yet.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:45:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I have a two year old SIG P-229 Elite Stainless that is superb quality.  No difference in quality from any SIG I bought ten or 15 years ago.  If anything, it is better.

I have no complaints with my GSR either.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I went through 70 sig P229 DAK pistols that had zero rounds down the bbl. Over half of them needed new recoil springs because they were all out of spec already. Brand new, from the factory sigs that had to have the recoil springs replaces after not one single firing. Lets not for get that the grip screws fall out constantly no matter how much loctite you put on them. Gun oil eats away at the blue loctite. Then people try tighten the screws all the time and then you've got stripped screws. Also, all the small parts rust to heck not matter what you do. The only thing I havn't seen rust on the newer Sigs is the slide and frame.

Oh but they do. Slide stop, take down lever, Front and rear sight, trigger, bbl inside and out, hammer. Of course, I work in a salt water environment as well at it being extremely humid down here. I've put away lightly oiled guns and pull them out a month or two later and they're rusted.  

All of my weapons get fresh water wash down to get  the dang salt off of them. The M9 held up much better than this thing ever has in my experience.  

Well yeah, working and carrying a gun in that environment will add a bit of corrosion.  I'm in South Florida near the coast, so i have always kept my firearms with a light coat of oil, and some of them have sat in the safe for a few years and i had no corrosion, but again i never exposed them to salt water. You might want to try one of those newer corrosion resistant coatings, on one of your newer guns and see how it holds up.  Or try a completely stainless steel pistol with one of those coatings. Not saying i'm an expert on anything, but just an idea.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would never judge a gun as being better or worse than an older model until properly broken in.  Some people don't even come close to breaking them in before they are whining about them.  I over heard a guy in a gun store awhile back complain his recent purchase was a piece of crap.  The store manager asked him how many rounds were fired in it and he replied he hadn't even fired a box thru it yet.  

Good point. Some guns even include instructions on how to break them in.

Looks like from the above comments, you can still find good, new Sig's, but it might be best to really examine them well before buying and if possible, look for used German guns and police trade-ins.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#38]
sig is on my good side.  right now anyway. i did own a kimber 1911, for ccw. which only took 500 rounds to get it to work mostly right. however when the wife, and her friend shot it, they managed to get it to jam every mag.

since this was usually the only unlocked gun in the house, it had to go. i bought a sig p220. it has been 100%, no matter who is firing it, even my 14 year old daughter. i bought a sig 226 in germany back in 1989/1990, it was great, went thru almost 2000 rounds with no malfunctions, before i traded it off like a dumbass.

i recently  bought two more sig 226's. ( i have not had time to wring them out yet),

im also planning on buying 2 more 226's, and 2 more 220's. i want at least one of the 220's, and one of the 226's,  with the threaded barrel . i love sigs. now the mecgar mags, im not so sure about. id rather have the germany zipper mags, but people seem to love the mecgar mags. i bought a 20 round mecgar mag, and it seems well made, i cant wait to try it out. id really love to have flush fitting 20 round mags.

also was mentioned the new sigs have a smaller grip.  i discovered this after buying two new 226's in a week, i was pissed, id rather have the smaller grip...i like the grip better. i saw the kit to change out the grip, and a few other parts needed, it was around $50.00 bucks. ill probably eventually buy them,( much cheaper than trading for another gun),  as well as night sights.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Sig 229 Elite

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#40]
The classic Sig pistols are still GTG. The *new* models introduced over the last 5 yrs have had some growing pains, that said they've 'cheapened' the platforms a bit I have three Sig pistols, two from N.H and one from Germany and the quality is the same. Now' my two N.H guns are 7+ yrs old so take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#41]
My only two big complaints with my SIG was the reset and its propensity to rust overnight.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#42]

And what exactly does that prove?  There's been similar photos of every single gun made.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#43]
The brought over Kimber's former QC poobah or something like that, which should tell you something.

Back when they focused on the core P-series, they were probably the finest mass-produced firearms in the world. Now, with model of the months and whatnot, they are pre-M&P S&W. Its like someone there thinks having a lot of models makes up for QC issues....
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#44]
this thread is missing pics.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:32:27 AM EDT
[#45]
What gun was it that sig lost the gov contract on (ATF IIRC) ?  P250?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:35:10 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

No, that's internet bullshit, pure and simple.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#48]
I got my first Sig over 20 years ago.
I have 5 now, and have had as many as 9 at one time.
The newer ones are not the quality of the older ones and that is a fact.
You use to never worry about getting a bad one 10 years or more ago.
Now it's a crap shoot as to whether you'll get a good gun with no bugs.
I don't buy new guns to work bugs out of or send back to the factory several times.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Haven't sold my .22 Mosquito problem-child yet, but likely will.  My .40 229 stainless Elite is gone, and good riddance. I'll never buy another Sig product unless they turn things right-side up again.  Far too many malfunctions for me.  YM will hopefully V

The Mosquitos are pure crap, no one that has one I know is trouble-free unless you shoot the expensive CCI rounds. Any of the classic models are GTG from my experience no matter where it's made.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top