Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2011 7:51:10 PM EDT
SIDS

friend woke up, to feed his daughter every night letting his wife get to sleep,only to find her blue and non responsive,blue but still warm. Did CPR until the paramedics got there. They worked on her for another 30 minutes.

Brings back painful memories of when my wife and I had to bury our still born daughter.

My heart aches for my friend and my wife and kids got extra hugs today.

Go hug yours right now, even if they are asleep. They could be gone by tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
That is hard My heart goes out to the family.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
ugh...

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#4]
That's rough. I can't imagine.

I wonder if it's something every parent thinks about, early on? I have two kids, and I wondered sometimes. I found myself hyper protective/worried early on, with both of them.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:55:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn...

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wonder if it's something every parent thinks about, early on? I have two kids, and I wondered sometimes. I found myself hyper protective/worried early on, with both of them.

I had to check the baby monitor after reading the OP.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Every parents' nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Prayers for the family
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
That's horrible.  I couldn't imagine having to go through such a thing.  Thinking and praying for your friends in their time of need.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:07:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I feel so bad for them...     I can't imagine anything worse.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#13]
God, just reading that makes me panicky.  Our little guy is just 6 months old...
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Prayers sent.

We have an almost 3 week old baby and I couldn't even fathom the thought.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I couldn't imagine.

We bought an angelcare monitor and I'm thinking about getting another for the bassinet. They are expensive but its the best money I've spent.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#16]
My first wife and I lost a daughter to SIDS at ten weeks of age. Kayla would have been 20 years old this year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I just can't imagine it.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]
My daughter is a month old Saturday, I get up probably 5 times a night to check on her.

Can't wait till she's old enough that I can quit worrying about it
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Prayers for the family

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, OP, just . . . I can't imagine.

Quoted:
My daughter is a month old Saturday, I get up probably 5 times a night to check on her.

I don't have children, but I know enough to know that'll never happen.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:27:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I could only imagine the pain those parents are going through. We lost our two year old grand daughter a year and a half ago. I wish I could say the pain goes away but it hasn't yet. I still have four other grand children and worry about them every single day.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:33:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Over 25 years in Law Enforcement, and the only time I remember crying at work.

Dec.19 1994......sids death. I found a dark spot and balled my eyes out.

My daughter was born 2 days later.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
My older brother would've been 41 right now; he never made it past two weeks; SIDS as well. My father suffered the most, And that;s why I have the "II" right afte rmy name.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I couldn't imagine.

We bought an angelcare monitor and I'm thinking about getting another for the bassinet. They are expensive but its the best money I've spent.

My wife and I have one of these.  Worth every penny but scares the crap out of you every once in a while.  

Thoughts go out to your friend and his wife OP.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I have been to one of those funerals.. it was in the family. those are the worse funerals (excluding extreme circumstances)

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Damn, OP, just . . . I can't imagine.

Quoted:

I don't have children, but I know enough to know that'll never happen.
I meant about SIDS, not worrying altogether.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#27]
It was very hard. Their MC and my MC have always had a great relationship. Some of the toughest men you can meet were broke down in sobbing tears.

I would lose it and end up in a very dark, violent place if I woke up and my children were no longer with me.

If you have kids, show them exactly what they mean to you. Never take for granted that they'll always be there,because sometimes they wont be.

Parents aren't supposed to bury their children, that's not the way this is supposed to work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I said that once at work and got laughed at.  So far, they are right... You never stop worrying.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#30]
My MIL lost a child to SIDS and now sits on a board of a support and research group IIRC. It helps her by helping others.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:57:00 AM EDT
[#31]
My stepdaughter was very sick when she was born. Got down under 3 pounds and wasn't expected to live more than a couple of months. She's now 18, graduated top of her class from high school, and is in college to be an RN. My youngest turned 5 this month and she is my life.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I did it with my daughter.  I have a three week old son right now and I'm not nearly as "intense".

You realize some things are out of your hands.

So incredibly sorry for your friend's loss.  Devastating.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Prayers sent to the family
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Terrible.  This was a huge fear for me as a parent.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That ain't going to happen.

We are not supposed to bury our children. It is supposed to be the other way around.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#37]
That's horrible anything in the crib that might have caused it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#38]

My wife and I had a stillborn last year so my heart goes out to you and your friend.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Worst fucking  nightmare.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I can't imagine a worse horror.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Both of my daughters are 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 you will never stop worrying.

To the OP I am sorry to hear this. No parent should ever have to bury their child. My family's prayers are with your family and the other family.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Having a newborn, the latest I read was they suspect there is a a function in developing brains that can go bad and cause the brain to shut down breathing.  This is for typical SIDs related stuff, it obviously doesn't cover the baby smothering on a blanket.

An incredibly sad event all around.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I can't image how hard that is.
I've got an 18mo. SIDS scares the hell out of me. When we hit the 1yr mark it was such a relief since something like 99% of SIDS cases are under 1yr. I still usually wake up at least once  night to check on her if she hasn't already woken us up.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#44]
That was my nightmare when my girls were younger.  I checked them constantly
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I can't image how hard that is.
I've got an 18mo. SIDS scares the hell out of me. When we hit the 1yr mark it was such a relief since something like 99% of SIDS cases are under 1yr. I still usually wake up at least once  night to check on her if she hasn't already woken us up.

I have a 2 mos old so like you SIDS scares me and my wife as well. I can't strongly recommend the Sleepslacks from Halo, the sacks are designed to replace blankets that could cause SIDS. Also, the wrap-a-round sacks prevents babies rolling on their stomachs preventing smothering.

HALO

Also, I discovered the Angelcare monitor that monitors breathing of your baby while he/she sleeps. At first I was skeptical that a baby monitor could monitor breathing but it DOES work and should be the only monitor one buys.....

AngelCare
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Ugh, I think that is every new parents worst fear. My daughter is 7 months old and I still cant help but watch her chest when shes sleeping.
I wouldnt wish that on anyone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:31:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Having a newborn, the latest I read was they suspect there is a a function in developing brains that can go bad and cause the brain to shut down breathing.  This is for typical SIDs related stuff, it obviously doesn't cover the baby smothering on a blanket.    

An incredibly sad event all around.

From what I understand, SIDS is not so much a "disease" or a "condition" as it is just a catch all for the unexplained death of an infant when nothing else pans out. You cant test for it, you cant prevent it, as its not well understood.

Its well established that children can suffocate from their vomit or from having their airways blocked by toys, blankets, pillows, etc and would be ruled as such, not as SIDS- from what I understand.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:43:10 AM EDT
[#48]
My first daughter passed away from SIDS, she was 2 and a half months old. You never get over it, you never find peace with it, birthdays are hell, you go through day to day life with a huge hole in your heart from where she used to live. There is no understanding, there is no coming to terms with it, there is no acceptance, there are no words that can be said. A little over a year later, my then wife and I went our separate ways, she found drugs and alcohol, I found solitude, we don't speak about it during the very rare events where we actually talk. That was 22 years ago...

I still look for her, her black hair and her blue eyes...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#49]
That is horrible.

For all you parents of newborns out there, I would HIGHLY recommend this item...

BabySense V

$125.00 dollars worth of peace of mind.

We had one from day one in our sons crib.  It only went off once but it was because he had curled up at the very edge of the crib when he was older. You won't believe how fast you will shoot out of bed when that thing goes off.

Now that he is 3, we still use it to let us know when he sneaks out of bed.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

My wife's family had one go with SIDS, one of her older sisters.

It weighed heavily on me and I had to stop in on all the kids every night before bed and every morning before work just to check that they were breathing.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top