Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 5:19:02 PM EDT
For all the Xbox 360 owners out there, you know the harddrives are ridiculously expensive and small.

I have a 2 year old xbox 360 with a 60gb harddrive, but with a little DIY and $50 later...

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#1]
info on tutorial?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
info on tutorial?

Harddrive USED(If you have prime)

Tutorial

The harddrive must be a compatible one. I believe all WD Scorpio blue and Black are GTG. I chose the black because they are supposed to be much faster and it was only a few extra bucks. Sine I oad all my games ont eh harddrive I wanted speed.

Once Gears of War 3 installs I will see how quick it loads. The cheapo drive I replaced was a 5400rpm Hitachi
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I spent a Sunday afternoon last winter doing that.

I see they are selling third party hd assemblies for them pretty cheap now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I remember soldering in a X-ecuter Mod chip in the old original X-Box. It was so easy and cost like $30 for everything to do all learned from the internet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there not something on Xbox Live that will kill your Xbox because of the mod?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool.

I have a Gamefly subscription, I should do this and...

Thanks OP.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd love to do this......

.........but both of my boys' xboxes died within a month or so of each other.  Pieces of shit.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:53:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there not something on Xbox Live that will kill your Xbox because of the mod?

Nope.

Plus the new xbox's basically will accept any 2.5" HDD.

They use standard harddrives with Microsoft firmware. The first step is flashing your hard drive to the Microsoft firmware, and there is noway Microsoft can tell the difference. Plus you get banned for modifying the console, not the accessories attatched to it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I did the same thing to my PS3 it was quite rewarding...
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

They use standard harddrives with Microsoft firmware. The first step is flashing your hard drive to the Microsoft firmware, and there is noway Microsoft can tell the difference. Plus you get banned for modifying the console, not the accessories attatched to it.

I've heard of hacks that allow you to copy a game to the hd and not need it in the cd tray to play.  I've heard that xbox live will kill the xbox for that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Excellent.  I have a new project.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

I've heard of hacks that allow you to copy a game to the hd and not need it in the cd tray to play.  I've heard that xbox live will kill the xbox for that.

Yes because that will allow you to rent a game, install it to your xbox and have the full game for $6. Anything that allows you to actually modify games, or access games for free will get you banned in a heartbeat.

The Every single mod to teh original xbox whether soft or hard, allowed you to play copied games which is why they banned all xboxes that were modded.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I remember soldering in a X-ecuter Mod chip in the old original X-Box. It was so easy and cost like $30 for everything to do all learned from the internet.

I did that to mine too,  added a big harddrive and loaded all my games on it,   I'm glad I did it because when the optical drive took a shit ( and they all did eventually ) I could still use the damn thing.  Still have it in fact.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
One thing that this 7200rpm Black harddrive is good for is the game and video library. I used to have to wait for 10-20 seconds for it to load all the games in my game library. With this new hard drive the list loads instantly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

They CAN find out, they usually don't care. I've been running one for... almost a year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top