Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/25/2011 2:13:49 PM EDT

In this photo provided by the Florida Keys News Bureau, the U.S. Navy's newest destroyer, the USS Spruance docks, Friday, Sept. 23, 2011, in Key West, Fla. The 509.5-foot-long Arleigh Burke-destroyer class ship is to be commissioned in Key West Saturday, Oct. 1. Although Key West is steeped in Navy traditions, with operations beginning as far back as 1822, it is the first time a Naval vessel commissioning has been planned for the island city.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful ship.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember the last time the Navy's newest destroyer was called Spruance.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Beautiful ship.

This.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice!

How many more Arleigh Burke are in the pipeline?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Bad assery.

& in before someone calls for a new battleship.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Nice!

This.....holy cow, I thought we were done with the Burke's.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
A commissioning in Key West a week after DADT is repealed?

Ever see CNN on New Years where Key West lowers a drag queen instead of a ball to count down to midnight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#8]
As a former crew-member of an earlier flight of this class, the DDG-51 has to be called one of the Navy's few success stories in recent years as far as ship design and construction.  Yes, it had growing pains, but the hull has turned out to be much more versatile then was originally conceived.  As far as capability and "give and take" they really are more like CLG then DDG.  If only they could have got the bugs out of the  Mk-71 MCLWG it would have been an almost perfect platform for ASUW.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

This.....holy cow, I thought we were done with the Burke's.

nope, BIW is still turning em out
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Dumb question, because I really don't know...but what is this ship going to be doing?  I see one gun, and I assume it has some missile bays?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember the last time the Navy's newest destroyer was called Spruance.

I went onboard the original one when she was in the yards. Can't remember if it was in Pascagoula or San Diego. The original Spru cans were ass kickers in their day.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#12]
How long does it take to build a ship like this?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Sure looks different than my dad's destroyer from '61, the USS Hollister  DD788
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dumb question, because I really don't know...but what is this ship going to be doing?  I see one gun, and I assume it has some missile bays?

Don't let the looks fool you, it's what is under the skin that counts.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

you see that flat rectangular object behind the gun? There's also one towards the stern.

Vertical Launch system that carries a mix of 96 missiles: Standard, Tomahawk, ESSM, ASROC.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I saw one of those doing exercises off the Virginia Capes (off of Dam Neck).  That was a very cool sight to see.  They have a dangerous look to them; I wouldn't want to be a target.

Not sure what it was doing, though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#17]
For those of you in the know, what's this thing?  I'm curious because I assembled a model of a Burke and couldn't find any information on this.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:45:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
For those of you in the know, what's this thing?  I'm curious because I assembled a model of a Burke and couldn't find any information on this.

http://www.jcrichman.com/gallery/whats_this.jpg

Gaydar station, next to the radar.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

think it's the an/slq-32
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Very cool to see these coming in to service.  God bless this new ship.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Beautiful ship.

I love Arleigh Burkes.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Is the "Fleet Landing" bar still right next to the Navy base??

Had some good times in Key West in 1980!!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

They're going to fucking shit up with their radar.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Awesome! Glad O didnt scrap this project too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I know very little about ships, but the thing looks like it could use another gun, aft. Maybe one of those 57mm guns like on the LCS.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I saw one of those doing exercises off the Virginia Capes (off of Dam Neck).  That was a very cool sight to see.  They have a dangerous look to them; I wouldn't want to be a target.

Not sure what it was doing, though.

Training.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

SLQ-32
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Beautiful ship!

The perfect thing to capture somali pirates, unharmed, and send them for a proper trial!

(sorry I got to thinking of how disappointed I was was with the weak-ass "pirate hunters" and couldnt help it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know very little about ships, but the thing looks like it could use another gun, aft. Maybe one of those 57mm guns like on the LCS.

Go choke yourself.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know very little about

Fixed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Nice!

Where are the guns?? :/
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go choke yourself.

Bring back the Iowas!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Awesome! Glad O didnt scrap this project too.

No need to scrap it. He will just reassign it's mission to making muslims feel good about themselves. Kind of like NASA, but with guns.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The more recent ones have:

96 cell vertical launch missile system, Tomahawk cruise missiles, Standard SAM's/anti-surface missiles, ABM missiles, Enhanced Sea Sparrow SAM's, ASROC anti-submarine missiles, two triple torpedo tubes on deck, a 5-inch gun, two phalanx guns, two 25-mm bushmaster guns, and two sub-hunting MH-60R helicopters.

That gives each Burke the ability to defeat nearly all local air threats, nearly all nearby surface warfare threats, nearly all nearby or distant submarine threats, and to launch cruise missile strikes against distant ground targets.  ETA: Some of them can also bring down ballistic missiles. They are extremely powerful vessels.

My understanding is that the average Burke IIA is powerful enough to defeat any but the top 15 or so entire navies on Earth without any external assistance.  And it can get in some extremely powerful blows against the rest.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

1x 127mm
1x 20mm Phalanx (Block 1B)
2x 25mm

Assorted .50 cals and M240s.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#38]
So what exactly can this thing do?  

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fuck shit up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Kill ships. Kill subs. Kill aircraft. Kill people.

What else do you want from a ship?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep I'd rather have the missile assortment than guns.  Beautiful ship.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

think it's the an/slq-32
This.  It is the ship's electronic warfare system.  It detects hostile radars and provides the crew with information that they can use to employ defensive measures such as chaff.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you see that flat rectangular object behind the gun? There's also one towards the stern.

Vertical Launch system that carries a mix of 96 missiles: Standard, Tomahawk, ESSM, ASROC.

It should be noted that the ESSM's can be 'quad packed', so they get 4 of those in one missile cell.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kill ships. Kill subs. Kill aircraft. Kill people.

What else do you want from a ship?

I like the new avatar. what's it from?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Shoot down ballistic missles?
Sink subs and other ships?
Defend Carriers?
Shoot down fighter aircraft?
Make one ping only?
Make Chicken Cavetelli with Vegtable meat sauce and Wheat snack bread?
Drop mines?
Attack land based targets?

I heard these things are the most badassed naval ship, but have no idea exactly, what they do.   Other than alphabet soup.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:02:48 PM EDT
[#46]
America... Fuck yeah!
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:02:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

1x 127mm
1x 20mm Phalanx (Block 1B)
2x 25mm

Assorted .50 cals and M240s.

They might have noticed the Phalanx... if it was installed yet.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nice!

Last I heard, their were 15 planned along with updates and life extensions on the existing ships.  Mostly because the new Zumwalt destroyers cost way too much and will be lucky to have 3 built.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go choke yourself.

What did I say!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:06:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go choke yourself.

What did I say!!

I assume it is because you mentioned LCS in a Burke destroyer thread.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top