[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

How many more Arleigh Burke are in the pipeline?

Where are the guns?? :/

1x 127mm
1x 20mm Phalanx (Block 1B)
2x 25mm

Assorted .50 cals and M240s.

They might have noticed the Phalanx... if it was installed yet.  

It is installed. Aft. There are reasons for keeping the aft mount and getting rid of the forward mount.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:08:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what exactly can this thing do?  

Kill ships. Kill subs. Kill aircraft. Kill people.

What else do you want from a ship?

I like the new avatar. what's it from?

No clue. Just know it's a Fletcher-class destroyer. Toiyabe made it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb question, because I really don't know...but what is this ship going to be doing?  I see one gun, and I assume it has some missile bays?

I know very little about ships, but the thing looks like it could use another gun, aft. Maybe one of those 57mm guns like on the LCS.

Go choke yourself.

What did I say!!

I assume it is because you mentioned LCS in a Burke destroyer thread.

Ding ding.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
For what it's worth, these harmless looking ships are what Taiwan would give their left nut to have just two of.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this one of the Aegis ships?

Sorry, Naval knowledge is a weak spot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is this one of the Aegis ships?

Sorry, Naval knowledge is a weak spot.

Yes. It has the Aegis Combat System utilizing the Aegis Weapon System, which utilizes the SPY-1D(V) radar.

To answer another question, no this one is not configured for BMD.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#8]
i wonder if those assholes had the foresight to make it BMD ready...
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

This.....holy cow, I thought we were done with the Burke's.

DDG111 should be the last one
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the opposite opinion.

Why bother with deck guns at all? 5" deck gun what is going to get close enough to even use a 5 inch deck gun?

I mean a Phalanx is enough to wipe out anything that gets close enough.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

This.....holy cow, I thought we were done with the Burke's.

DDG111 should be the last one

DDG-112 USS Michael Murphy
DDG-113 USS William S. Sims
DDG-114's and DDG-115's long lead time materials have been ordered.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why bother with deck guns at all? 5" deck gun what is going to get close enough to even use a 5 inch deck gun?

You need the 5-inch gun for the times when you get attacked by the killer tomato.

They can be vicious bastards.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Shooting things on the shore?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:52:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dumb question, because I really don't know...but what is this ship going to be doing?  I see one gun, and I assume it has some missile bays?

See those flat grid-looking things fore and aft flush with the deck?

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know very little about ships, but the thing looks like it could use another gun, aft. Maybe one of those 57mm guns like on the LCS.

You know - despite your LCS faux pas, I sort of agree with you.  I was on a "old" Spruance class for a six-month deployment.  It had a 5-inch gun both fore and aft.

As soon as we got one fixed, the other broke.  Then when that one was fixed, and the other would break again.

But, if this ship were to have an aft mount the ship would have to be larger or sacrifice some missiles...so....that's not going to happen.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know - despite your LCS faux pas, I sort of agree with you.  I was on a "old" Spruance class for a six-month deployment.  It had a 5-inch gun both fore and aft.

As soon as we got one fixed, the other broke.  Then when that one was fixed, and the other would break again.

But, if we have an aft mount the ship would have to be larger or sacrifice some missiles...so....that's not going to happen.

The aft 5-inch gun on the Tico class CG I was on had problems because of salt water intrusion from sitting all the way back on the ass end of the ship so low to the water.  Actually it wasn't the gun itself but the fact that the training ring was never totally waterproof meant that the aft gunhouse room below it always had saltwater problems.

Not much sacrificed with only one gun.  They're mostly used for shore fire support and small craft interdiction anyway.  Still handy to have.  I'll say this though; one time we did some gunnery exercises on a target hulk and both Mk45s blazing away on that thing was a truly awe-inspiring sight
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#17]
top speed? turning radius?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

31 knots. Turning radius depends on speed and rudder angle. Also do you want tactical or final diameter?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A commissioning in Key West a week after DADT is repealed?

Ever see CNN on New Years where Key West lowers a drag queen instead of a ball to count down to midnight.

I was thinking the same thing.  The young sailors are going to have to watch out for their corn hole.  Key West is like homo-city.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#20]
My sister is on that ship.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I love Arleigh-Burkes. Now I have destroyer envy.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, it has "some missile bays".

It's the baddest AAW platform on the planet.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A commissioning in Key West a week after DADT is repealed?

Ever see CNN on New Years where Key West lowers a drag queen instead of a ball to count down to midnight.

I was thinking the same thing.  The young sailors are going to have to watch out for their corn hole.  Key West is like homo-city.

Meh, you can still have a good hetero time in Key West.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go choke yourself.

Saw that coming a mile away...
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

31 knots. Turning radius depends on speed and rudder angle. Also do you want tactical or final diameter?

how many shaft turns is 31 knots?

final diameter is fine.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

final diameter is fine.  

Something like 168 shaft RPM. IIRC.

Again, depends on rudder angle and ordered speed. Do you know the difference between tactical and final diameter?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As a former crew-member of an earlier flight of this class, the DDG-51 has to be called one of the Navy's few success stories in recent years as far as ship design and construction.  Yes, it had growing pains, but the hull has turned out to be much more versatile then was originally conceived.  As far as capability and "give and take" they really are more like CLG then DDG.  If only they could have got the bugs out of the  Mk-71 MCLWG it would have been an almost perfect platform for ASUW.

Sure, you can say that now, but suffice to say the PPG on the VRRP didn't perform up to CGW standards for so long, the LIPR ended up being replaced by a QA after the first three OPPOSUM trials.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#28]
A few tips for LCS guys.  See these things circled in red.

These are called WEAPONS.  WEAPONS are things you put on a ship so that it can shoot at the bad guys.  Some people would even say that the whole purpose of a warship is to have these WEAPONS onboard.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Wikipedia has these things listed as costing 1 billion, are these things really that cheap? It sure is depressing to think about what kind of navy we could build with all the money being thrown around Washington DC at the moment.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wikipedia has these things listed as costing 1 billion, are these things really that cheap? It sure is depressing to think about what kind of navy we could build with all the money being thrown around Washington DC at the moment.

It costs a hell of a lot of money to staff and operate one of these.  proc cost is only a fraction of lifecycle costs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The one I commissioned went for $1, 088,000,000, we displayed the receipt.

They were down to $880,000,000 at one point. Stopping and then restarting production will cause DDG-114 and DDG-115 to be more expensive.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We already have a whole lot of them.

Wikipedia says that a total of 75 are built or planned.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Arleigh Burke's kick ass. Love 'em.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know why the Burke's were listed as having a max speed of 31 knots?

Hint: Little Beavers.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they're Burke's? I assumed it was a tribute to their namesake.

Beyond that I don't know.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they're Burke's?  

Beyond that I don't know.

Arleigh Burke's nickname when he was the commander of Destroyer Squadron 23 (The Little Beavers) was "31-knot Burke".
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut is AAW platform?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go choke yourself.

Bring back the Iowas!!  

To hell with that.  Let's build the Montanas!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut is AAW platform?

Anti-Air Warfare.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

final diameter is fine.  

Again, depends on rudder angle and ordered speed. Do you know the difference between tactical and final diameter?

yes, tactical is the distance from original course measured at 180* . Final is perpendicular to original course measured at 180*-360* and represents the diameter that would be maintained if the speed and rudder were maintained.

Im curious of the skepticism about the speed. correct me if I am wrong but isnt maximum speed for a ship simply a mathematical equation? Unlike aircraft there really isnt anything secret about them. Or am I misinformed?

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Is Korea's Sejong type a worthy outgrowth of this class?  Directed at those who might know.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut is AAW platform?

Anti-Air Warfare. A SAM ship.

Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#44]
So, what's the main differance between a Destroyer and a Cruiser? Aren't they built on the same hull?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Very nice ship, looks like one of the best procurements the NAVY has had in the past few decades.

Love them vertical launch tubes
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!!

God, I'd love to be the captain of that ship.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

Where are the guns?? :/

1x 127mm
1x 20mm Phalanx (Block 1B)
2x 25mm

Assorted .50 cals and M240s.

They might have noticed the Phalanx... if it was installed yet.  

It is installed. Aft. There are reasons for keeping the aft mount and getting rid of the forward mount.

I was unaware that they'd decided to do that.  They had for a time, then the forward mounts started reappearing, did they not?
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:10:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

final diameter is fine.  

yes, tactical is the distance from original course measured at 180* . Final is perpendicular to original course measured at 180*-360* and represents the diameter that would be maintained if the speed and rudder were maintained.

Im curious of the skepticism about the speed. correct me if I am wrong but isnt maximum speed for a ship simply a mathematical equation? Unlike aircraft there really isnt anything secret about them. Or am I misinformed?

Sort of. Length to beam ratio, shaft horsepower and torque are the factors involved. 31 knots is about it thanks to its wide beam

I can't remember the diameters off the top of my head. I remember ~1,000 yards, final being slightly smaller than tactical, but I can't remember the rudder/speed combination. I don't recall if it's 15 at 15, or 30 at 30.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Is Korea's Sejong type a worthy outgrowth of this class?  Directed at those who might know.

Yes. So is the Japanese version.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#50]
That's a nice battleship, but I thought they had more guns... aren't there supposed to be some big guns on the front? No wonder our Navy is fucked, all they put on is that small little POS. Fucking boat thing looks like the LCS with that punny gun on the front, probably do more damage ramming something.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top