Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2002 3:54:09 PM EDT
Last Oct. I was hit pretty good by a 19 y.o. kid with no license.
Quick Description:
I was heading down a two lane road, came up on my turn, slowed down with left turn signal on in plenty of time-he was two cars behind me apparently doing around 65mph (45 speed zone)according to the officer,went into the oncoming traffic lane to avoid rear ending the car behind me, realizes I'm turning left, slams brakes about twenty before me, T-bones me in the rear quarter, sends me about 60 feet at a 45 degree angle over a drainage ditch, he skids about another 60+ feet himself.  

He was charged with driving without a license and wreckless driving.  My medical bills (currently paid by my insurance(state farm) -being disputed with his (geico)) are at around 3300 dollars.  

I'm looking at settling with geico here this week, so my question is:  What else should I look for or ask before puttin my John Doe anywhere?  My understanding is I initially ask for a settlement amount.  I don't want to get screwed, but I also don't want to appear like the lady who got a million bucks for spilling coffee on my self and ask for too much, which I hear can hurt my case also.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Hopefully you suffered no long term or permanent injuries. There is nothing wrong with consulting an lawyer, once you sign that check, or agreement, thats it. I'm sure there would be many personal injury lawyers that would talk with you at no charge.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not be in a hurry to settle - you don't know if any complications will arise.  I would look to get "full fault" on the damn fool who hit you (I'm surprised they will cover him with no license.  Suspended, revoked, or never had?)  Once you get the fault assigned properly, you will remain covered.

You may need up to a year to make sure there are no medical complications as a result of the accident.  If you settle on the money now, you will be cut off.  If you settle fault and have that FIRMLY established, you will still be covered for future resulatant medical expenses.

FFZ
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Read the fine print carefully.  Don't sign a damn thing that says you give up anything at all.  If as indicated, you are the injured party, you want to maintain your rights to have the party at fault pay for your medical bills.
Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top