Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Rod Serling, best known as the creator & host of "The Twilight Zone," was a paratrooper in the 11th Airborne Division during WWII (Philippines campaign).

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:42:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buddy Ebsen, Sid Caesar, Alan Hale Jr., Caesar Romero, Victor Mature and Jack Dempsey were all Coasties.

No shit.  I knew Jack Dempsey was, but not the rest

Also Beau Bridges (reservist), Lloyd Bridges, Alex Haley, Tab Hunter, Arnold Palmer, and Caesar Romero to name a few... not as many as other services, but not a bad showing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#5]
George Peppard. USMC. Gunnery Sgt, Art'y

Tyrone Power. USMC, WW2. Iwo Jima, Okinawa.

Bob Keeshan. "Cpt. Kangaroo'" USCM, WW2. Saipan, Iwo Jima.

Lee Marvin. USMC, WW2. Sniper, Iwo Jima. Purple Heart.

Morgan Freeman, USAF, late 50's.

Clark Gable. USAAC, Europe, WW2. Flew combat missions for 6 mos.

Malcolm Forbes. US Army. SSG

Alec Guiness. HMRN, WW2. D-Day. Landing Craft Coxwain.

Orville Burrell(rapper "Shaggy"). USMC '88-'91. Art'y Gunner, Gulf War 1

Charelton Heston. USAAC,WW2. B-25 crew. Alaska.

Dave Thomas(CEO "Wendy's")US Army, SSG, Mess Sergeant.

Charles Durning. US Army Ranger, WW2. D-Day. Purple Heart, Silver Star.

Jimmy Stewart. USAAC, WW2. DSM.

Ernest Bourgnine. US Navy, WW2. 1935-45.

Charles Bronson. USAAF, WW2. B-29 tailgunner. Purple Heart.

Rocky Marciano. US Army, WW2. '43-'47. Combat Engineer, Europe.

Henry Hill(mobster, inspiration for the film "Goodfellas"). US Army '60-'63. 82d Abn Div.

George C. Scott. USMC. Arlington Cemetery Honor Guard.

Arthur Ashe. US Army. '66-'68, 2LT. Died of AIDS contracted from blood transfusion.

Eddie Albert. USN, WW2. Tarawa. Bronze Star with V device.

Brian Keith. USMC. WW2. Rabaul.

Bill Cosby. USN ??????, Corpman.

John Russell. USMC. WW2. Battlefield Commission. Guadalcanal.

Robert Ryan. USMC. OSS, WW2.

Johnny Cash. USAF '51-'54. Staff Sgt.

Humpfrey Bogart. US Navy WW1. Unsucessfully tried to reenlist for WW2.

Tony Bennet. US Army WW2, 63 Inf Div.

Montel Williams. USMC '74-'75, USN '76-'88. Annapolis, Cryptology, Submariner.

Audrey Hepburn. WW2, Dutch underground.

James Arness. US Army, WW2. Anzio. Bronze Star, Purple Heart.

Willie Nelson. USAF 1951. Medical discharge.

Julia Child. OSS, WW2. CBI Theater. Supported USN op'ns.

Jesse Ventura. USN '69-'73, USNR '73-'75. UDT(Vietnam), SEAL.

James Maynard Keenan(vocals from the band "TOOL"). US Army '81-'84. Forward Observor.

James "Whitey" Bulger(mobster, inspiration for the film "The Departed"). USAF '48-'52.

Walt Disney. Rejected for military service, 1918. Red Cross ambulance driver, WW1.

Kris Kristofferson. US Army. '61-65. Helicopter Pilot, Ranger qualified.

Del Shannon(singer, hit-single "Runaway") US Army, '54-'58.

R. Lee Emery. USMC, '61-'72. Vietnam.

Mel Brooks. US Army WW2. Combat Engineer, Battle of the Bulge.

Steve McQueen. USMC, '47-'50. Saved 5 lives in tank training accident.

Alan Alda. USAR ?-?. Korean War.

Henry Fonda. US Army WW2. Lt. Pacific theater, Intelligence. Bronze Star.

Chuck Norris(That's right, Chuck Fuckin' Norris!!!). USAF '58-'62. MP

James Doohan(Star Trek's "Scotty") Lt, Canadian Army. Multiple gunshot wounds D-Day.

Rod Steiger. USN, WW2. Torpedoman, Doolittle Raid. Sank Japanese trawler w/machinegun fire.

Elvis Presley-Draftee '58-'60, US Army. Sgt, Tanker. 32d Armored Regiment.

Outside of Pat Tillman (RIP) I don't know of any current "celebrities" that have volunteered to stand on the wall.  Sad times.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Outside of Pat Tillman (RIP) I don't know of any current "celebrities" that have volunteered to stand on the wall.  Sad times.

We had a thread here last week - apparently one of the "Jersey Shore" guys just enlisted, and was in jump school with someone.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a thread here last week - apparently one of the "Jersey Shore" guys just enlisted, and was in jump school with someone.

How far we have fallen.

I heard Bruce Willis tried after 9-11 but got kicked back for being too old.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Sherman Helmsly aka Mr Jefferson was in the Air Force.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#9]
One thing you need to realize, in WW II we had 12,000,000 men in uniform.  It stands to reason a lot of famous people would be in the military just based on the math.  We haven't had anywhere near that number since then (thankfully I might add).  Plus we were clearly and blatantly attacked at the start of WW II.  Korean and Vietnam were nothing like that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:13:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While just about everybody knows that Jimmy Stewart served with disctinstion in WWII, most don't realize that he enlisted nine months before Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese.

He saw that war was coming and signed up.  On December 7, 1941, he was a private on guard duty at Moffett Field, CA.

Also, having led from the front as a squadron operations officeer and group commander, earning many awards and decorations along the way, when he returned to Hollywood he had a clause added to his studio contract that his war record could not be used to promote his movies.

Did you know he stayed in the AF Reserve, rising to the rank of Brigadier General, and few combat missions in Vietnam in a B-52 as a 1 star?

ETA picture after the mission:

http://www.historynet.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2009/Vietnam/Aug%202009/jimmy-stewart-with-b52-crew.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4093/4883680423_1c30ef3457_z.jpg

I almost stood up and saluted when I saw that picture!  
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While just about everybody knows that Jimmy Stewart served with disctinstion in WWII, most don't realize that he enlisted nine months before Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese.

He saw that war was coming and signed up.  On December 7, 1941, he was a private on guard duty at Moffett Field, CA.

Also, having led from the front as a squadron operations officeer and group commander, earning many awards and decorations along the way, when he returned to Hollywood he had a clause added to his studio contract that his war record could not be used to promote his movies.

Did you know he stayed in the AF Reserve, rising to the rank of Brigadier General, and few combat missions in Vietnam in a B-52 as a 1 star?

http://www.historynet.com/wp-content/uploads/image/2009/Vietnam/Aug%202009/jimmy-stewart-with-b52-crew.jpg

9 ribbons.

I think the only Airmen these days with so few ribbons are still in basic training.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:26:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 ribbons.

I think the only Airmen these days with so few ribbons are still in basic training.

If I am reading it right, two DFCs, ARCOM and Air Medal?
Not a bad haul.  But as a bomber pilot in WWII, probably rated.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 ribbons.

If I am reading it right, two DFCs, ARCOM and Air Medal?
Not a bad haul.  But as a bomber pilot in WWII, probably rated.

I seriously think we need to purge some of the meaningless awards crap from our system.  They were Cold War feel good additions to make peacetime soldiers happy.  At the very least, do what the Navy does and allow wear of only the top so many awards.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Humphrey Bogart when he was a sailor during WWI
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I seriously think we need to purge some of the meaningless awards crap from our system.  They were Cold War feel good additions to make peacetime soldiers happy.  At the very least, do what the Navy does and allow wear of only the top so many awards.

We can, in hot climates in our B's when substituting for our As.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Drew Carey is a former US Marine.

You are never a "former" Marine.

What the hell, we can't call them former Marines any longer?

I was never a Marine, but I have always been told that saying "Former Marine" was proper for a person no longer serving.
It is, now calling someone or yourself an ex- Marine is not appropriate unless dead.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's a mind blower: Hunter S Thompson served in the USAF!
I believe He Manned a typewriter.

Clark Gable was a gunner, not a Pilot.

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]

US combat vet John Kerry in Vietnam

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Rod Serling, best known as the creator & host of "The Twilight Zone," was a paratrooper in the 11th Airborne Division during WWII (Philippines campaign).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8r5KcavfltE/TL_PxFxsNOI/AAAAAAAAVwI/t4w9Kj9ksZo/s1600/tumblr_kykok0d0eV1qa33z3o1_400.jpg

There's an episode about an Infantry unit on Okinawa in which you can really see Sterling's war experience come through. It features a very young Leonard Nimoy.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Ted Williams, in trouble with the draft board, entered the Marine Corps as an aviator, spent 3 years in the Pacific, and then got activated for Korea in 1952...imagine if those 4 years not in the military he would have passed the Babe. Williams had 521 homers, the Babe had 714
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The King...Elvis Presley...could have spent his 2 year draft service stint touring with the USO, but refused saying he wanted to serve his 2 years as a regular soldier donating his pay to charity, buying TV sets for the whole base in Germany and buying extra fatigues for those in his platoon.
He was also a "Tanker"..

http://www.3ad.com/pio/bulletin.bd/gi.blues/scans/elvis.gunner.jpg

Have a pic of him while serving, was stationed at Gibbs Kaserne while in and we [room mate] were going thru the darkroom and all the old negatives that were everywhere. [it looked like no on ever threw any of them away] Lo and behold, here is a negative of Elvis kicked back in a chair wearing fatigues laughing. Friend kept the negative, we ran a few prints [8x10] that came out great and it's still in my army photo stuff to this day.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Rocky Bleier Super Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers, Notre Dame...drafted and volunteered to Vietnam with the 196th Light Inf Bde, wounded in combat receiving the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Willie mays missed 2 full seasons after being drafted for the Korean conflict in 1952...he spent his drated time playing baseball for the Fort Eustis baseball team
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Yogi was a guuner's mate in the Normandy invasion
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:05:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Now that is one I didn't know about, and he's one of my all-time favorite actors. Nice find!

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:27:53 PM EDT
[#27]
146 years...can it be over already? What say we move on?

eta DAMN IT!!!  This isn't the Civil War thread!

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Both of the Everly Brothers (singers) were Marines.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Country sanger Craig Morgan paid his dues and still gives back. We need more like him for sure.

http://www.theboot.com/2011/01/28/craig-morgan-uso-tour/
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:34:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Comic actor Fred Willard was an Army officer in the late 1950s.

He is one of my favorite funny men.

Fred Willard kills me.. he is funny as heck

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

John Holmes -Adult Fim Star

U.S. ARMY SIGNAL CORPS"

PRO PATRIA VIGILANS"  & "Vaginas"

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#32]

John Dillinger
Military service: US Navy (enlisted 1923, deserted)
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#33]

MAKO with Steve McQueen in the movie SAND PEBBLES

MAKO was Drafted into the U.S. Army, he served for two years in Korea

during the Korean War in the 1950's

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#34]

actor James Shigeta, second generation Japanese American born in Hawaii

Shigeta enlisted to serve in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War. He fought in Korea, served for 2 1/2 years, and rose to the rank of Staff Sergeant
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#35]
David Robinson  

MC Hammer was in the Navy
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Gene Autry.  He was pretty big deal before the war started like Jimmy Stewart.

"Autry was a private pilot but only in small
airplanes.  When W.W.II broke out he started taking flight lessons in
larger transport category aircraft at his own expense.  This was done in
order to prepare himself for joining the Army Air Force."

"
When he first approached the Army about joining,
they wanted him to go into the Special Services and spend the war
entertaining the troops.  He wanted to fly and he wanted to fly real
missions, not just publicity flights that made for good press.  He
trained at a number of air bases, but finally was sent to Love Field in
Dallas to attend flight school and became a flight officer in 1944.

He flew in the China-Burma-India Theater and throughout the Pacific
operations.  It is alleged he was the only person in the Army Air Force
allowed to wear cowboy boots while on flying duty.  He continued his
radio show during the war but shortened it to fifteen minutes.  It was
renamed the Sergeant Gene Autry show.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9 ribbons.

In one unit we had an E-4 admin guy (aka Titless WAF in the USAF) who had more ribbons than a Master Sergeant/Vietnam vet in the same outfit.  Apparently it's a matter of getting the paperwork in.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#38]

I cant beleive no one has mention him yet:

Audie Murphy

"Murphy became the most decorated United States soldier of the war during twenty-seven months in action in the European Theatre. He received the Medal of Honor, the U.S. military's highest award for valor, along with 32 additional U.S. and foreign medals and citations, including five from France and one from Belgium."

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I cant beleive no one has mention him yet:  
Audie Murphy

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that everyone knows he served in the military.

Quoted:
R. Lee Emery. USMC, '61-'72. Vietnam.

Really? Wouldn't of guessed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:01:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
[div]I cant beleive no one has mention him yet:  

You seriously didn't know Audie Murphy was in the military?
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Beatrice Arthur
Dan Rather
Pat Robertson

... all were Marines.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If that's true, good for him!
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#43]
I think Roger Staubach serve a hitch in the Navy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[div]I cant beleive no one has mention him yet:  

You seriously didn't know Audie Murphy was in the military?

Wasn't that pretty much his schtick?

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Beatrice Arthur
Dan Rather
Pat Robertson

... all were Marines.

Rather washed out in boot. Never was a Marine.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beatrice Arthur
Dan Rather
Pat Robertson

... all were Marines.

That makes me feel better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Beatrice Arthur
Dan Rather
Pat Robertson

... all were Marines.

That makes me feel better.

Thank God.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Don Adams was a Drill SGT in the USMC.  He "wanted" to be commandant but he missed it by "this much"!  

He served with the Third Marines in Samoa. He was in the USMC from '41-'45.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Don Adams was a Drill SGT in the USMC.  He "wanted" to be commandant but he missed it by "this much"!  

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/30/DonAdams.jpg/220px-DonAdams.jpg

Heard he was wounded on Guadacanal.

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/30/DonAdams.jpg/220px-DonAdams.jpg

Heard he was wounded on Guadacanal.

I read that too but I wasn't sure enough of my source to put it in.....

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top