Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2002 10:42:09 AM EDT
I'm going to AU law school in the fall, and was wondering about the general concensus. Who else is a lawyer or in law school? Any advi e would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#1]
First off congrats! Not an easy school to get into. I believe they had 7000 applicants for some 300 slots for the fall semester. A friend graduated from there years ago and she liked it.
You must have nailed the LSATs.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to U of A for law school, which is AU? First year of law school sux, btw
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Enemy of the State....wish you had asked me first!  I don't think AU is that great of a law school at this point and their reputation seems to be dropping.  Heard their bar passage rates for the MD bar were not that terrific.  In the DC area, George Mason is the school to go to.  They are now First Tier, and cost less if you can make VA residency.  Georgetown is still ranked higher, but I would not go there either.  If you were able to go to school out of the DC area, then the usual suspects, Yale, Harvard, Chicago, Northwestern, Michigan, etc. are good choices.

Having said that, make sure you study your ass off.  You are much better off in the top 10 percent of the class (5 percentile is even better).  Best jobs go to the top 10 percent.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:47:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I just finished my first year and let me say one thing. If you think you are totally smart and can kick ass in anything you do, be prepared for a huge let down. Law school is a kick in the nuts and it can reek havoc with your self confidence.

Other than that, get study aids early AND USE THEM!

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:04:36 AM EDT
[#5]
it's been a number of years since i was concerned with law school rankings and the tiers, but a friend of mine was recently accepted by American U Law and she told me that they just cracked the First Tier this year (lowest ranking in First Tier).

can anyone confirm?

anyway, congrats.

your first year ranking will pretty much determine the rest of your career path and the choices that will be available to you.

good luck.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:15:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Scott looks like you are correct:

[urlhttp://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_brief.php[/url]

I still think AU is not that great based on what I know about their faculty, the university, and people who have gone there.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Scott looks like you are correct:

[urlhttp://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/law/brief/lawrank_brief.php[/url]

I still think AU is not that great based on what I know about their faculty, the university, and people who have gone there.

GunLvr
View Quote

i'll hold back on my opinion of AmericanUnivLaw.  don't want to rain on the guy's parade and all.

besides, i'm prolly biased as my siblings attended George Washington Univ Law and Georgetown Univ Law.  

i left Maryland 15 years ago for warmer climes and to pursue higher education (or at least pursue some hot college and law school chix.  heh.).

anyway, _enemy of the state_, you're in a top tier school now.  it's all what you make of it.  

if you don't break the top 10, f*** 'em.  heh.  you can still earn some serious cash and amass some righteous firearms.

my most important advice for law school:

beer is chemical stress relief in a bottle.  use it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top