Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/13/2011 8:39:18 AM EDT
Interesting read that I think everyone on this site will like.

Who Is Rick Perry?

He is a fifth generation Texan, the son of hardscrabble west Texas tenant farmers. Democrats but conservatives through and through. He grew up in a farm town too small to be on the state map. Life was so hard that he was six years old before his house had indoor plumbing. His mother sewed his clothes, including the underwear he wore to college.

He is an Eagle Scout. After Paint Creek High School, he attended Texas A&M, graduated, and was commissioned into the Air Force where he became a C-130 pilot.

Now 61 years old, he has won nine elections to four different offices in Texas state government. In the first three elections he ran as a Democrat then switched to the Republican Party. He is currently the 47th governor of Texas, a position he has held for 11 years, the longest tenure of any governor in the nation.

He has never lost an election.

Rick Perry was the Lieutenant Governor to whom Governor George Bush handed over the office after winning the 2000 Presidential election. Since then, Perry won gubernatorial elections in 2002, 2004, and 2010, the last time by 55% against a field consisting of a Democrat, a Libertarian, a Green Party, and an Independent.

Since he became its Governor, Texas, a right to work state that taxes neither personal income nor capital gains, has added more jobs than the other 49 states combined. In the last two years, low taxes and little regulation led his state to create 47% of all jobs created in the entire nation. Five of the top ten cities with the highest job growth in the nation are in Texas. People follow jobs, so in the last four years for which data are available, Texas led every state in net interstate migration growth.

Perry signed ground-breaking, loser pays tort reform and medical litigation rules that caused malpractice insurance rates to fall. Some 20,000 doctors have since moved to Texas.

Texas boasts 58 of the Fortune 500 companies, more than any other state. Since May 2011 Texas resumed its pre-recession employment levels. Only two other states and the District of Columbia have done that.

Texas ships 16% of the nation's export value. California trails at 11%. Of the 70 companies that have fled California so far in 2011, 14 relocated in Texas.

In this year's Texas legislative season, Perry got most of what he wanted. With no new taxes, a fiscally lean state budget was passed leaving $6 billion in a rainy day fund even as other states around the country struggled to balance budgets and avoid more deficit borrowing. A voter ID bill passed that was designed to prevent ballot box fraud and illegal voting. A bill passed that makes plaintiffs pay court costs and attorney fees if their suits are deemed frivolous.

Perry scored points even in his legislative failures. He failed to get sanctuary cities banned, Texas towns in which police cannot question detainees about their immigration status. The blame fell on the legislature. Perry also failed to get a so-called anti-groping bill passed that would put Transportation Security Administration agents in prison if they touch the genitals, anus, or breasts of passengers in a pat down. Federal officials threatened to halt all flights out of Texas airports and the bill died in special session. That endeared Texans even more to TSA employees living in Texas.

Perry jogs daily in the morning. He has no bodyguard with him, but his daughter's dog runs by his side and he carries a laser-guided semi-automatic pistol in his belt. Last year while jogging in an undeveloped area, a coyote paralleled his jogging route, eyeing his dog. He drew his pistol and killed the animal with one shot, leaving it where it fell. "He became mulch," Perry said. Animal rights groups protested, but Perry shrugged it off. "Don't come after my dog", he warned them.

Recently, Obama asked Perry to delay the July 7 execution of Humberto Leal in order to comply with the International Court of Justice in The Hague and the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations. Perry refused. Therefore Obama asked the US Supreme Court to delay the execution because it would damage US foreign relations. The Court refused 5-4 and Perry ordered the execution to go forward as scheduled. Over the howls of diplomats, politicians, and the UN, Leal was administered a lethal injection at 6:20 p.m. Before he died, he admitted his guilt and asked for forgiveness.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Rick"the hair Perry" for the win
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#2]

"As Americans, we believe freedom is a gift from God, and government’s prime function is to defend it. We don’t see the role of government as a nanny state, and we recognize there is no government money that wasn’t once earned through the sweat and toil of private citizens." Rick Perry

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If anyone can put another man in the White house it's Texas.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't know, GB was from Texas. I think people may be scared to put another "Texas Boy" into the seat.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
C-130 pilots are assholes   JK

Sounds good, almost too good to be true.

Maybe he'll make it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:03:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Somebody needs to help me understand something.

Whenever Rick Perry fucks up (or doesn't get his way), I'm reminded that a Governor in Texas has his hands tied - he simply doesn't have much authority. When things go well for Rick Perry, I'm told he's a political mastermind.

He constantly gets credit for things that go well, but is absolved of any responsibility when they don't. When he does well, he's praised for his ingenuity. When he does poorly, it's said that a Governor in Texas has his hands tied.

So which is it?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the guy
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#9]
FUCK YES!!!  He already had my vote before he joined the race!  
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Whenever Rick Perry fucks up (or doesn't get his way), I'm reminded that a Governor in Texas has his hands tied - he simply doesn't have much authority. When things go well for Rick Perry, I'm told he's a political mastermind.

He constantly gets credit for things that go well, but is absolved of any responsibility when they don't. When he does well, he's praised for his ingenuity. When he does poorly, it's said that a Governor in Texas has his hands tied.

So which is it?

I've never heard that.

I can tell you this: Living in Texas, I've liked all of the desicions he's made except one. I hate the toll roads he's built.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So which is it?

I've never heard that.

I can tell you this: Living in Texas, I've liked all of the desicions he's made except one, I hate the toll roads he's built.

I'm actually in favor of toll roads, as long as they're privatized. I don't know much about yours.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:11:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So which is it?

It is the third option.

Perry is pretty conservative and can beat Obama. That one.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#13]
That article is like a timeline for his speech rightnow...
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:14:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That article is like a timeline for his speech rightnow...

I was watching CMT, thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Can conservatives survive another RINO Texas governor?  

We'd better be damn sure before we blindly support someone we hardly know.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So which is it?

I've never heard that.

I can tell you this: Living in Texas, I've liked all of the desicions he's made except one, I hate the toll roads he's built.

I'm actually in favor of toll roads, as long as they're privatized. I don't know much about yours.

They are privatized. That's what I don't like about them. They are going to charge us forever, and they are the most expensive toll roads, per mile, in the nation. Some of the roads were built over existing roads that were free, and now we pay. Perry helped to get the roads constructed.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like the guy

Me too!!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

He has never lost an election.

Sounds promising!

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wouldnt call George W Bush a RINO. Did I agree with everything he did? NO, especially TARP. But disagreeing with one or two points doesnt make someone a RINO.

But thats just me.....
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#20]
I read the short article.

A few nice pats on the back.

Same could be done for anyone depending on ones perspective.

Need to see where he stands on ALL the important issues before placing him in the pole position.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

So which is it?

I've never heard that.

They are privatized. That's what I don't like about them. They are going to charge us forever, and they are the most expensive toll roads, per mile, in the nation. Some of the roads were built over existing roads that were free, and now we pay. Perry helped to get the roads constructed.

I hate toll roads too...

The problem... For the economy in Texas to grow... You are going to need roads.

Every other state is either going bankrupt, or sneaking up to the Fed teet for infastrucure money. They arent doing it on their own.

But they need to do it, if they want roads, and they want economic growth.

The toll road idea accomplished roads, accomplished the goal of infastructure to support the economy... And, being privatized, didn't raise taxes...

Is it a good solution? TIme will tell. Was it a *real* solution... Yeah, it was a compromise... Infastructure investment, without taxes paying for it...

He could have raised taxes to pay for it. He could have asked for Federal handouts to pay for the projects... He didn't...But he realized what common sense dictates: Roads build economies.

Yeah, I don't like the iea of toll roads. But in a down economy... How else could he have paid for it?

The truth is, every sector of the economy of Texas has seen growth in a down economy. That is why Perry is going to beat Obama.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#22]
They left out the part about him being Al Gore's campaign manager.

He should challange Obama for the Democrat nomination.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:41:53 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I actually forgive him on that one. Southern Democrats were a whole 'nuther breed, back then - Al Gore included.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#24]
He's shot LaRue guns, and he actually carries. Rick is our man, guys. I'm a Ron-bot through and through, but I know he's unelectable. Hell, I'm even a good-for-nothing Atheist, and I still support this evangelical whackjob (no offense intended )

The point is, is that he's more than conservative enough, and no, he doesn't make my libertarian peepee tingle with his opposition to gay rights and abortion, but  /hankhill/ I'll tell ya what /hankhill/ he's electable dammit.

Sure, he's not the perfect candidate, but shit, he's a million light years better than Obama, he supports states' rights, and he's never pulled the same shit that Obama did, and then criticized it when it went national. *cough* ROMNEYCARE *cough*

He's not some AWB supporting fucknugget, and he'll take a hard stance on foreign policy. I'm not in favor of starting needless wars, but shit guys, even the most RP supportive on here can tell Obama doesn't want to keep us out of foreign wars, he just wants to pussyfoot around and make us as weak as he can. At least Perry will tell the third world assholes to go f themselves.

He's our guy. He can win on Texas' economy alone. Add in the Conservative support for the social stands he takes, and you have the guy who's gonna stomp the shit out of Obummer come Nov.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know, GB was from Texas. I think people may be scared to put another "Texas Boy" into the seat.

After Obama?!?! GWB represent the good old days.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Reagan used to be a Democrat

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

The Liberal Columnist Molly Ivins gave Perry the nickname of "Governor Fair Hair" but she died of cancer

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

So which is it?

Perry/Bachman 2012!

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I was hoping he wouldn't run and that's only because we'd have to elect someone else as Governor.  He's great for Texas but better for the U.S..  
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I need more info, but he sounds goodbetter then the other options for R, and Obama.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Nobody on the sidelines would be stronger on the 2nd than Rick Perry

name me another candidate that has a gun named after them

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Ron Paul FTW.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Where do you get those "laser guided pistols?"
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Wait a tick.  He's an AGGIE?

Now I have to rethink this.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

http://www.politicususa.com/wp-content/uploads/rick-perry-larue-2-300x225.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii210/LaRueTactical/Govs_Visit/P5159429.jpg
http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/govperry01.jpg  

I'd be careful about getting too enthusiastic about that. There's no telling whether a photo-op day at the range with cool NFA toys and DD's (that mere peons can't own in the USA) is indicative of a man who is truly pro-gun, or just another "guns for me, but not for thee" corporate statist.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:56:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

So which is it?

Perry/Bachman 2012!

Perry is good. She would kill the ticket though.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd be careful about getting too enthusiastic about that. There's no telling whether a photo-op day at the range with cool NFA toys and DD's (that mere peons can't own in the USA) is indicative of a man who is truly pro-gun, or just another "guns for me, but not for thee" corporate statist.

That's from his visit to LaRue Tactical, iirc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Are you fucking kidding?  He would be running against Obama.  

I don't care if it's Ron Paul or Mitt Romney, I am voting against Obama.  Our job is to select someone who can realistically beat him, not cater to our idiosyncratic policy preferences.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#39]
yep he does actually carry, there was a article about him shooting a coyote while jogging a while back with his CCW
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Sorry to bust your bubble, but he's a FLIP FLOPPER:

Rick Perry Was Al Gore’s Texas Campaign Chairman in 1988
http://www.enviroknow.com/2011/06/23/rick-perry-al-gore-1988/

Agriculture Commissioner

In 1990, as a newly minted Republican, he challenged incumbent Democratic Agriculture Commissioner Jim Hightower. Hightower had worked on behalf of Jesse Jackson for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1988, while Perry had supported U.S. Senator Al Gore of Tennessee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Perry
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

...his opposition to gay rights and abortion...

This makes him anti-liberty every bit as much as Obamacare makes Obama anti-liberty.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:02:17 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Sorry to bust your bubble, but he's a FLIP FLOPPER:

Rick Perry Was Al Gore’s Texas Campaign Chairman in 1988

http://www.enviroknow.com/2011/06/23/rick-perry-al-gore-1988/

Agriculture Commissioner

In 1990, as a newly minted Republican, he challenged incumbent Democratic Agriculture Commissioner Jim Hightower. Hightower had worked on behalf of Jesse Jackson for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1988, while Perry had supported U.S. Senator Al Gore of Tennessee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Perry
Ronald Reagan used to be a Democrat.

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Where do you get those "laser guided pistols?"

his daughter's dog runs by his side and he carries a laser-guided semi-automatic pistol in his belt.

I don't know if I'm more impressed by the laser guided pistol, or the fact that the dog carries it in a belt.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:06:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Liberal Columnist Molly Ivins gave Perry the nickname of "Governor Fair Hair" but she died of cancer

Who could possibly give a rats ass about what that piece of shit Molly Ivins thinks, and especially so now that the old cunt is dead?
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I much prefer Ron Paul. Ron Paul is the only candidate who actually supports the 2nd Amendment instead of the status quo. He would actually work to repeal the NFA and GCA. Would Rick Perry?

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:06:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Last weekend, he was praying for rain.  Over the next 6 days:

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:10:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:10:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Last weekend, he was praying for rain.  Over the next 6 days:

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImages/WeeklyPrecipitation/sat.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Link Posted: 8/13/2011 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#50]
LOL, the atheists/anti-Christians are already gearing up their whispering campaign of disparagement against Rick Perry.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top