Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2011 4:29:11 PM EDT
I have tried this before with no luck but I'm giving it another shot. I have exhausted all of my search fu. I am not sure of this Marines first name, I would think "Bud" was his nickname. I bought this Arisaka Type 99 at an auction in Michigan. Maybe someone that is current Military has acess to archived records or something. I bought this rifle a few years ago and I'm trying to find out who SGT. Bud Davis was so the history of this rifle is not lost forever. If I can find out who he was I may be able to contact his family and find out some of his Military history. This rifles appears untouched since it was taken, the bore is like a mirror, the bolt face looks new, the screws are still staked and the numbers all match. It appears to have a bullet strike on the forearm. I don't think the person that was carrying it had a chance to shoot it much. Thanks

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you Sir.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
That is awesome. Best of luck in your search. Please update this thread if you find him!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Third link on google.com

Might be him, might not be.....

LINK

Davis, Roy M. (Bud)
 US Army Air CorpRoy Davis - USAF W2
                1st Lieutenant
              Pilot - Multi Engine

1943 to 1946 Active duty

US Air Force Reserve
                   1946 to 1953
Pilot
India-China Div. of the Air Transport Command, Burma (flew the Hump), India Theater. Stationed in Upper Assam Valley, then Myitkyina, Burma.

Battles and Campaigns
Central Burma, Northern Burma, China, Air Offensive Japan

ETA: I'm looking and it doesn't say Iwo Jima, but the link in google did.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Third link on google.com

Might be him, might not be.....

LINK

http://www.hartfordmichigan.com/hartfordhistory/military/military%20personnel/ww2/davis_roy_1944_us_airforce_pilot_2nd_lut_edited_sm.jpg

Davis, Roy M. (Bud)
 US Army Air CorpRoy Davis - USAF W2
                1st Lieutenant
              Pilot - Multi Engine

1943 to 1946 Active duty

US Air Force Reserve
                   1946 to 1953
Pilot
India-China Div. of the Air Transport Command, Burma (flew the Hump), India Theater. Stationed in Upper Assam Valley, then Myitkyina, Burma.

Battles and Campaigns
Central Burma, Northern Burma, China, Air Offensive Japan

ETA: I'm looking and it doesn't say Iwo Jima, but the link in google did.

Interestingly, it lists him as a Michigander as well.

However, it says that he was in flight school class 44G, which would have had him in flight training in 1944. That wouldn't seem to jive with him having been an NCO in 1945.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Man that is incredible. Please update the crap out of this thread, sounds like a hell of a story.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The dice may be a clue. 61 ?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]
http://bluejacket.com/usmc/insignia/fm/1bn6mar_insig.jpg

1st Battalion 6th Marines  maybe????
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that I found a relevant obituary.

http://obituaries.onlinesentinel.com/obituaries/mainetoday-morningsentinel/obituary.aspx?n=vernon-elmer-davis-bud&pid=141899733&fhid=6231

Excerpted in part:

Bud served in the Marine Corps during World War II in Gaum, Guadacanal, Okinawa, and China from 1942 to 1946, retiring as a staff sergeant. He was very proud to be a Marine and was a lifetime member of the Sixth Marine Division Association.

Link Posted: 8/11/2011 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

http://bluejacket.com/usmc/insignia/fm/1bn6mar_insig.jpg

1st Battalion 6th Marines maybe????

1/6 wasn't on Iwo they were and are 2nd MARDIV. They were on Saipan/ Tinian ramping up to be the diversion force for Okinawa in that time frame.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#12]
It seems that "Bud" was a pretty comon nickname back then, I wish I had his first name. I've checked out some of the leads you fellas have given me and I haven't hit a bingo yet, but I will keep trying. I think the dice mean lucky seven, and for him to have made it out of there alive means that Lady Luck was definitly with him, I don't know how any of those men made it back. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It seems that "Bud" was a pretty comon nickname back then, I wish I had his first name. I've checked out some of the leads you fellas have given me and I haven't hit a bingo yet, but I will keep trying. I think the dice mean lucky seven, and for him to have made it out of there alive means that Lady Luck was definitly with him, I don't know how any of those men made it back. Thanks again.

Might try also.

Can"t hurt.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I asked my Grandpa last time you posted this.  Forgot to get back to you.  He didn't know him or doesn't remember him.  He did send me this, though.  A list of all the guys in his unit that landed on Iwo with him.  Most didn't make it off.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 2:12:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I asked my Grandpa last time you posted this.  Forgot to get back to you.  He didn't know him or doesn't remember him.  He did send me this, though.  A list of all the guys in his unit that landed on Iwo with him.  Most didn't make it off.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/webphotoalbum/Image2.jpg

Every time I see something like this it almost makes me cry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top