Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I stopped going up to high places.  Works like a charm!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I get acclimated to specific heights, but not heights in general.

I also do thing to scare the shit out of myself, like going parasailing.

I have thought about hypnotherapy, which really helped me with some stress-related problems.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to be really acrophobic, so I bought a para sail  when my brother had a boat. Scared me every time I went up in it, but did it often for a couple summers at a nearby lake until he sold the boat, etc.Later on  I met my wife on a date to the grand Canyon, (long story) and we stood on the edge. RFS
Then  in Galveston she wanted to bungie jump from a crane on the beach.  Of course after 3 jumps she wanted me to do it.  uhh, well. OK. We did a tandem dive.  Scared me shitless. She said i screamed like a girl.
Then we got into crewing for a friend with a hot air balloon. My first time in that fucker left grip marks in the rail that are still there today!
Now  when I have to get on the roof or ladders or in trees it still makes me think, but  I get on with it and get over it. Exposure to the things that make me uncomfortable is the way I dealt with it.  But that pic of the guy on the bridge cable.  NFW!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm fine as long as I'm tied off. Get a little nervous if I'm not.
He's a pic of me working at about 10 stories up. I've worked as high as 28 stories.

I have friends that walk steel. I have but not any more. I see them do some crazy shit. (At least it is to me.)

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
You bite your tongue and go to the height you have to go, do what you have to do, then come down.
Just do the coming down part slowly and you should be OK.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I think you just have to mentally let go, so that the anxiety doesn't become paralyzing. I have it, but I can temporarily overcome it by "just doing". Go skydiving. I've never done it, but I'm pretty sure I could just accept death and jump, then be tickled pink when I got to the ground and was still alive.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I did.  Not sure how.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, I suggest a zip line tour.  Climb up a 20 foot tower, attach harness to the line and step off the edge.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I hate being up high if there is no structure around me.  Usually I find myself concentrating really hard to not look down or out far, and lots of cussing and singing to myself.

I'll be dangling from the New River Gorge bridge on an 11mm rope this year on Bridge Day. Heights don't bother me, but that's gonna pucker my butt...

Woohoo!  I went three years ago.  Are you zipping or rapping off the bridge?
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I've gotten better with it but I wouldn't say that I've beaten it...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:45:54 PM EDT
[#11]
The only problem I have with heights is on ladders.  Only a few steps up and the vertigo starts to kick in.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:48:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it a Fear of Heights or a Fear of Falling

Yes there is a differance

It's a fear the edge will collapse, the roller coaster will go off the tracks, the ladder will break, the plane will crash, etc.

I don't have a problem with the heights as long as I can Tie Off
It is when I have nothing to hang onto that gets me.

For me it is a mater of facing your fear and just doing it

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife likes all roller coasters. At the CN tower in Toronto they have a glass floor in one part of the observation deck.
Glass must be 1 foot + thick. She would not step on it. Just freaked her out. Didn't bother me but I cannot stand roller coasters.
Why pay to get terrified I figure?
   I don't have a problem with flying. I remember one time being across the harbor from Logan Airport in Boston. Planes take off every minute or so.
Maybe one incident every decade? Figure the odds are pretty good that I wont have a problem flying.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Tried and failed numerous times.  It's like gravity intesifies as I get higher, making me feel the height more and more as I go up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I am more afraid of girth!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:20:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes. I jumped out of a perfectly serviceable airplane. I liked it so much I did it over and over again.

I still get weak kneed at any height over about 4 stories but it is more excitement than fear.

The thing is that a fear of heights is an important survival trait. It's not a bad thing.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I am more afraid of girth!

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I got a job hangin iron in construction. Problem solved.

Walking across an I-beam way up in the sky has always been something I wonder if I could do.

Like these guys? The guy on the right with the burbon bottle is the only way you'd get me up there!  

I notice when I stay in a high rise hotel, I'll sometimes get the butterflies when going up close to the window or getting out on the deck and looking down.  But get a few drinks into me and I'm hanging off the thing.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#20]
you should check out the free climbing towers on youtube.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:43:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Nope. I cant look off the side of a tall building, but I fly helicopters almost every day. Go figure

I thought that helicopters would be scary, but they aren't. Weird.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#22]
I was terrified as a kid of heights. Roller coasters would make me cry

I got drunk at Busch Gardens and rode all of the rides. Fear was gone. I rode the sling shot ride thing and the rickety roller coaster at the Strasospher in Vegas, I think they are gone now, also. No hands mom!
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I am not afraid of heights, I'm afraid of falling.  
Still, I have managed to get through jump school in the Army and hike some pretty narrow, steep trails as well as riding many, many roller coasters, etc...
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes, I did.  I had a fear of heights so bad I had trouble going past the third step on a ladder.  When I was about 25 I got offered a job with a construction company that I really wanted even though I knew it would mean ladders and being up at heights that scared me shitless.  That or humiliation if I took it and failed.  I got pissed, because sometimes you have to get mad to keep going, and I took the job.

I just forced myself to keep moving, going up the ladder, crawling on beams and even walking on them, despite my fear.  I used anger to fuel my movement.

In one week the fear started fading, and in a month it was almost gone completely.  In 6 months I was made a jobsite foreman. I told the foreman who trained me about my fear and he said "I didn't know it, you seemed fine".  I could have kissed the ugly fucker.

After that I'd see guys freeze halfway up a ladder, or on a beam.  Freeze and not be able to move at all.  I'd tell them "Get mad, get angry and keep going".  Some could do it, a few we had to use a bucket truck to get them down.  Most those left with their tails between their legs and never came back.

Synopsis for the TLDR people.  You're a man goddamit, don't get scared, get angry and use that to beat it!

I was a Pipefitter. getting up high in the JLG would make me so scared I'd feel weak all over, but I didn't want to look like a pussy, and cause someone else to have to do my job, so up I'd go. The worst moment was when i had to climb 40' up a vertical steel rung ladder, while a burst 4" sprinkler line was pouring down in my face. The guy I was working with went right up that ladder, so I followed without any time to think about it. I guess the fear of humiliation is worse than the fear of heights for me. Oddly enough, when I was up high with lots of pipes or structural steel close by,it didn't bother me at all.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#25]
When I was a very small kid (~3 1/2), I stepped onto the top tread of a two-story escalator in a huge downtown Cleveland department store, tripped, and fell.

Since I was just a toddler, and dressed in a snowsuit (we'd gone to Sterling-Lindner's to see Santa Claus), I didn't get hurt. But I was frightened and crying, and never liked
heights after that. Like many people, it wasn't the elevation that scared me, it was being close to the edge with nothing to grab if I started to go over. I gradually got over most
of my fear, but it took a lot of clenched teeth and mentally kicking myself in the ass to climb a ladder or stand on a balcony.

Then, when I was seventeen, I was painting dormers on a 3-story house, lost my footing, and slid on the slate roof almost to the edge. Had to start all over with getting over the
fear of falling. Glass elevators gave me the creeps, and 12-story atriums in high-rise hotels had me hugging the walls on the way to my room. Again, it wasn't the height per se, it
was the fearing of having nothing to grab with my hands if I lost my balance.

Flying has never bothered me, and one of my greatest pleasures has always been flying in open-cockpit planes. But a visit to the Grand Canyon actually had me crawling on all fours to
look over the edge, with my hands trying to clench finger-holds into the ground I was on.

I finally realized that most of my anxiety had to do with not trusting my balance and reflexes. When I worked at Wright-Patt, there was a parcourse right behind my office, which had some of those
2" wide balance beams about six inches off the ground. I started walking those every day, slowly at first, then faster, and in high winds, and even backwards. The more I practiced, the more
relaxed and confident I became. I realized that no matter if it was six inches off the ground, or six feet, or sixty feet, the process was exactly the same. This helped a LOT, as well as forcing myself to
go out onto high balconies or precipices, relax, and simply stand there without moving for 10 or 15 minutes.

I'm fine now with ladders and scaffolds, and with high overlooks –– as long as there's no smartass who thinks it's funny to shove you or pull you off balance. (Almost got into a serious punch-up over that
several years ago.) I think identifying the exact cause(s) of your fear is important, and work through it incrementally. Build trust in yourself. I've heard that hypnosis can help, but never tried it.

The only thing that still gets my heart rate up momentarily now, is getting onto the first step of a 'down' escalator. I still hesitate for a split second, grab the handrail firmly, and THEN step on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Go to Hoover dam and look over the edge.  I thought it would be a gradual slope to the bottom, it's a C shaped face and you'd drop about 50 feet before you hit concrete and skid down the rest of the way.  I think my nuts actually ended up in my stomach in about 0.03 seconds.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm fine as long as I'm tied off. Get a little nervous if I'm not.

He's a pic of me working at about 10 stories up. I've worked as high as 28 stories.

I have friends that walk steel. I have but not any more. I see them do some crazy shit. (At least it is to me.)

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=31702

Marriott Waterside behind you. Nice.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I took up rock climbing.  Seriously; it worked pretty well.

I still have a healthy respect for heights.

This.  When I was little, I used to not be able to walk next to the glass fence on the mall's second story.  I got a little better as I got older, but it was still a little out of control.  I started climbing and now my "fear" is simply a healthy sense of self-preservation.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#29]
We needed our roof redone last year, the quotes we got seemed outrageous so I decided to do it myself in spite of my fear of heights.
The first time up the ladder to inspect the roof, it took me about 2 hours to screw up my courage to come back down. As I was finishing the roof it suddenly struck me. I was sitting on the edge at the peak with a leg dangling over the side and I wasn't bothered at all.

BTW, the quotes now seem cheap. I should have paid.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I never got over it
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:24:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Whats the magic number the military uses to weed out the airborne candidates? IIRC on a show they said that a certain height will bring out the fear in some that didn't know they had it.

It's 34 feet. That is the height of the trainer in jump school.

BTW becoming a paratrooper cured me of my paralyzing fear of heights.  It really works.

Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I went to the grand canyon and when I got to the edge I felt like falling over into it. My leg was shaking uncontrollably. Tall bridges are a no go for me. I have forced myself up ladders and on top of roofs but anything over 2 stories are a no go and even looking at anything above 3 or 4 stories will set me off in a panic. I've thought about going to the doc and getting a bottle of tranquilizers and going anywhere there is heights involved. Don't even talk to me about flying, right now it's a no way no how, which sucks because the wife wants to go to Hawaii. I told her not unless we swim.

There is a big difference between getting in an airplane and flying, and climbing on a high ladder or looking over the side of a tall bridge or building.

30' high bugs me, airplanes don't.

I'm with you.  I'll fly in anything with wings ... fixed or rotary ... and I'll ride any roller coaster anywhere, but put me on a 10-ft step ladder installing a ceiling fan and I can't handle it.  I've been in the Vehicle Assembly Building at Kennedy Space Center - looking down on the Space Shuttle external tank and boosters, and it creeped me the heck out.  I nearly pulled handrails off the launch tower!  
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just grit your teeth and do it anyway.  Mastery of fear is more important than being too stupid to be scared of something dangerous.

This
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I was always afraid of heights until the Army had me repel from a 50' tower. Now I'm fine with heights.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top