Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/9/2011 7:33:20 AM EDT
This is a continuation of a previous thread that was deleted (rightly so).

But I think the tactics of releasing yourself from a choke hold might be good information should the need arise.

Please go on, as there was some really good info there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:34:38 AM EDT
[#1]
clear the airway, tuck the chin

step and swim

pull back - hammer fist and shout Marine Corps

Aimless was too quick in the other thread

and a blood choke is going to work better than her forearm across the throat method....
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:35:25 AM EDT
[#2]
shoot the attacker.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:36:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

step and swim

and a blood choke is going to work better than her forearm across the throat method....

Yep.  You can last 2-5 minutes without taking a breath, depending on condition, etc.  Your brain, on the other hand, isn't going to stay conscious for more than 15-20 seconds without any blood flow.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#4]
One time I grabbed a hold of the guy's lower lip and started to pull.  He let go real quick.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:39:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't a "head butt" using the back of your head as hard as you can to the other person's face do a pretty good job? Repeat as much as necessary.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:39:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Monkey Steals a Peach
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

step and swim

She had the carotids, it was just sloppy. A strangle (airway restriction) takes forever and a day.

The exception is a true hadaka jime (there is some disagreement on this term for this technique, so...) This is where the bone of the edge of the wrist is placed directly on the larynx. The hands are clasped palm to palm and leverage is applied with the other forearm against the shoulder of the victim.

This is not technically a choke but a pain compliance and I can assure you that it is extremely painful. I would say more painful than arm or knee bars by a good margin.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Step 1)  Find finger of attacker.
Step 2)  Break finger.
Step 3)  Repeat as necessary.  

Or the alternate:

Step 1)  Find ear of attacker.
Step 2)  Pull down hard.
Step 3)  Repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#9]
In again!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
shoot the attacker.

That's my method too!
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Address the threat first.  Get some space around your throat.  Then start striking to loosen them up and crash out.  Then turn and reduce them to a pile of shit.

Shooting also works.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Eye gouge.  Scoop it out with your thumb.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Wouldn't a "head butt" using the back of your head as hard as you can to the other person's face do a pretty good job? Repeat as much as necessary.

The attacker should have their head tucked behind their forearm that is pushing your head down and forward.

I used to get the question, often, in class: How do you get out of a rear naked choke? Answer: You rarely do. Almost never, against someone who knows what they're doing and is your equal or better. The way to "get out of it" is Don't Get In It.

Pay attention to your neck and limbs. Don't leave them alone and unguarded. This is one reason why grappling is such a chess match.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:44:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Step 1) Find finger of attacker.

Step 2) Break finger.

Step 3) Repeat as necessary.

Or the alternate:

Step 1) Find ear of attacker.

Step 2) Pull down hard.

I'll give you broken fingers in order to put you unconscious and then you're at my whim.

It's all about position.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:45:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You would think, but I figure many times either your head/neck is immobile or the attacker's head is out of position.

Like I said before, my inexperienced ass would be kicking shins and stomping feet while my hands are searching for an eyeball to extract or a pistol to pull. I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to fight through the tunnel, I'd freak completely out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember a thread from a while back about a guy who couldn't carry a gun b/c of the state he lived in.  He did carry a rather large knife.  Some very large drunk guy was trying to kill him in that manner.  He pulled out his knife and cut a huge gash in the attacker's face.  The guy let go immediately.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

step and swim

She had the carotids, it was just sloppy. A strangle (airway restriction) takes forever and a day.

The exception is a true hadaka jime (there is some disagreement on this term for this technique, so...) This is where the bone of the edge of the wrist is placed directly on the larynx. The hands are clasped palm to palm and leverage is applied with the other forearm against the shoulder of the victim.

This is not technically a choke but a pain compliance and I can assure you that it is extremely painful. I would say more painful than arm or knee bars by a good margin.

true, tough to see on the gif....

her arm looked pretty straight but, looking at how quick she went down, you're probably correct.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#18]
If I am getting put into on then I am in deeper shit that I thought.
I am a big dude 6'6" nearing 6'7"  and that means whoever is attempting to choke me out is at Least 6'4" and skilled enough to apply it, and I will have less than 5 seconds to go oh shit.

Post 5 seconds someone is losing a fist full of their balls in my hand, gut, gunt , inner thigh or whatever the fuck I can get a grip on and shit is getting fucking ripped out or off.  Sorry not fighting dirty first since someone's trying to kill and or fuck my shit up it is fo time and I plan on living through it or at least making the bastard who is trying to choke me regret that poor life choice.
Hell if I can get my hand on their face I am going to take an eyeball out, try and rip a lip off or open hand to ear to pop that bitch.

Oh ya once that arm is loosing up I plan of biting a fucking huge chunk out of it, eye gouging what ever, play stupid games win fantastic hospital bills.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

yes, that's why if you're doing a choke you turn your head and tuck it down - keep them from being able to do that too well

also, as soon as you try to head but - you lift your chin and the guy choking gets a better grip on your neck

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Step 1) Find finger of attacker.
Step 2) Break finger.

Or the alternate:

Step 1) Find ear of attacker.
Step 2) Pull down hard.

I'll give you broken fingers in order to put you unconscious and then you're at my whim.

It's all about position.

How 'bout an ear?  Unless we're friends and goofing around, putting me in a choke-hold means I will be tearing things off your body ricky-tick.  As for gutting out a broken finger... I don't believe for an instant that you will maintain the same level of hold on me as I am breaking your finger.  You may not release entirely, but it'll be enough for me to get air and blood to my body and likely out of the hold before you can re-apply the pressure.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#21]
If from behind, drop your hips and begin elbowing. Hitting the head is preferable. If you're putting your body behind the elbows their hold will quickly loosen enough that you can turn around and face them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not if he tucks in.  Pull down on the elbow  and try to tuck in there then constant elbow strikes to the ribs and twist like a motherfucker.  Also bend forward, don't bend backwards or you're off balance then dead.  I missed the other thread so I might be rehashing standard techniques.

ETA:  Or posts above...

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The attacker should have their head tucked behind their forearm that is pushing your head down and forward.

I used to get the question, often, in class: How do you get out of a rear naked choke? Answer: You rarely do. Almost never, against someone who knows what they're doing and is your equal or better. The way to "get out of it" is Don't Get In It.

Pay attention to your neck and limbs. Don't leave them alone and unguarded. This is one reason why grappling is such a chess match.

Pretty much.

Degloving the arm is probably a better option than drawing a gun.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if he tucks in.  Pull down on the elbow  and try to tuck in there then constant elbow strikes to the ribs and twist like a motherfucker.  Also bend forward, don't bend backwards or you're off balance then dead.  I missed the other thread so I might be rehashing standard techniques.

True and most choking people out forget the person who is being choked hands.  Grab twist yank! The inner thigh is nice and tender and will shock ya how fast that will take the fight out of someone.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:55:39 AM EDT
[#25]
In the .gif, the girl that did the choking was taller by a good margin, and had the other girl leaned back and on her toes. I'm 6 feet tall, so not huge, but tall enough to make that difficult to accomplish on me, unless they took me by complete surprise and put their body weight on me. Then I'm on the ground. I suppose this is also a good time to cover situational awareness, then?
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:56:47 AM EDT
[#26]
break the wrist, walk away.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:57:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Are you talking about a guillotine, a RNC, etc.... too many variations on a theme here for specifics.  Blood choke will make you go to sleepytime pretty quick once sunk in.  Air chokes are more dangerous because they can damage your trachea (mine has been "dented" a few times in practice and makes talking, and swallowing feel funny for a while).  My favorites to do are howdy's, Brabos, anacondas and cross collars.  With my legs, teepees....definately.    Sometimes, you just need to choke somebody....

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#28]
The company I work for, sent all of its employees to "defense" training.  They wanted us to tuck our chin and drop through it.  
They didnt like my idea of grabbing testicles or other sensitive bits and trying to remove them from the attacker.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

This is a continuation of a previous thread that was deleted (rightly so).

But I think the tactics of releasing yourself from a choke hold might be good information should the need arise.

Please go on, as there was some really good info there.

Grab arm w/ one hand to keep it as loose as possible.  Get knife w/ other hand.  Stab them in the groin.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Can I get a link to said thread??
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:59:16 AM EDT
[#31]
well what type of choke?

A sunk in RNC is going to be pretty tough to counter unless you have trained to tuck your chin and protect ur neck, cause your going to be unconscious in seconds.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:00:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Twist your head so your chin and throat is resting in the crook of the elbow. Square your stance, step back hard, use both hands to grab their head, lunge forward and pull, hard.  You can grab the shirt, but in my sparring matches years and years ago it just took their shirt off. Now you have an angry, half-naked guy holding on to you.

This is one of the few maneuvers I have both learned and practiced extensively. Most others I just learned.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The company I work for, sent all of its employees to "defense" training.  They wanted us to tuck our chin and drop through it.  
They didnt like my idea of grabbing testicles or other sensitive bits and trying to remove them from the attacker.

Right on.  No boxing or MMA rules in a street fight for your life.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
well what type of choke?

A sunk in RNC is going to be pretty tough to counter unless you have trained to tuck your chin and protect ur neck, cause your going to be unconscious in seconds.

If it's in deep you're not getting out of it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Shin rake.

They're right there, behind you.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:03:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Break down.

Swim.

Finger Fuck the skull. (eye gouge)

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Goes along of defense as fighting fair.  Most of those instructors have not been in a real world application of that defense or got lucky as hell.

If you are being assaulted it is life and death period, you have a few choices....
Choice #1 be a victim and get really hurt, dead or raped.
Choice #2 fight back with anything and everything making that shit stop and I mean RFN!
You are going to get hurt in some fashion the choice is up to you how badly.  Tender bits are forgotten about and that is why they are so good, I am not going to be defending  myself to win I going to fucking survive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Just pick him up and throw him down
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:06:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
well what type of choke?

I have no idea. To me, a choke is a choke. All I know is I can't breathe, I'm getting lighteaded FAST, and my vision is going. In the midst of all this, I'm still trying to contemplate WTF just happened to me, and my brain isn't up to speed on the situation. It's a scary fucking thing when you think about it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:09:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Goes along of defense as fighting fair.  Most of those instructors have not been in a real world application of that defense or got lucky as hell.

If you are being assaulted it is life and death period, you have a few choices....
Choice #1 be a victim and get really hurt, dead or raped.
Choice #2 fight back with anything and everything making that shit stop and I mean RFN!
You are going to get hurt in some fashion the choice is up to you how badly.  Tender bits are forgotten about and that is why they are so good, I am not going to be defending  myself to win I going to fucking survive.

I don't think there is one single move in MMA that involves using teeth either.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:09:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yep.  You can last 2-5 minutes without taking a breath, depending on condition, etc.  Your brain, on the other hand, isn't going to stay conscious for more than 15-20 seconds without any blood flow.

Actually, in a properly applied LVNR (Lateral Vascular Neck Restraint), a subject can be rendered unconscious in 4 to 7 seconds.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If I have someones back, I can generally react quick enough to avid taking damage to the weak areas. The only time that I'm not that mobile is when I have the choke locked in, and in that case, grab my balls as much as you want becasue in 5-10 seconds you're mine.

When defending its all about arm control, keeping the chin tucked and protecting the knowlege knot. Unless you're really good, it takes two arms to choke someone, and my two arms are generally stronger than one of yours.

If they dont have the choke then my fight is preventing the choke. If they have the choke, its pretty much game over. Then its time for the crazy shit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:12:22 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
well what type of choke?

Fo'shizzle.

Fortunately, most people are just assholes, and not trained to choke (or even fight properly and efficiently).

Tucking your chin down into your shoulder is the first thing that should always happen.  That will at least buy you a couple of seconds.  if it is a guillotine (from the front), dig your chin into thier side hard, throw your opposite arm over the other side shoulder, move your body to the opposite side of the choke, pin that leg and drive back going to the ground––-this should but you roughly perpendicular to thier body––-pretty much nullifying the choke.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I have someones back, I can generally react quick enough to avid taking damage to the weak areas. The only time that I'm not that mobile is when I have the choke locked in, and in that case, grab my balls as much as you want becasue in 5-10 seconds you're mine.When defending its all about arm control, keeping the chin tucked and protecting the knowlege knot. Unless you're really good, it takes two arms to choke someone, and my two arms are generally stronger than one of yours.

If they dont have the choke then my fight is preventing the choke. If they have the choke, its pretty much game over. Then its time for the crazy shit.

More than enough time to rip a pair of balls right off the body.  You'll have to decide if continuing the choke hold is worth it as soon as you feel your scrotum begin to rip.

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:14:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Shoot them.

Failing that, I've always got my CRKT M16 to stab the shit out of them with.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Stab the mother fucker

Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I have someones back, I can generally react quick enough to avid taking damage to the weak areas. The only time that I'm not that mobile is when I have the choke locked in, and in that case, grab my balls as much as you want becasue in 5-10 seconds you're mine.When defending its all about arm control, keeping the chin tucked and protecting the knowlege knot. Unless you're really good, it takes two arms to choke someone, and my two arms are generally stronger than one of yours.

More than enough time to rip a pair of balls right off the body.  You'll have to decide if continuing the choke hold is worth it as soon as you feel your scrotum begin to rip.

I sometimes roll with a training knife.  I can assure you that a well-trainined grappler with a knife will ruin an average person in very short order.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:17:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Take EDC knife out of pocket, deploy, stick it in their arm until you feel bone.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

step and swim

Then 'just walk away'?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top