Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/8/2011 4:04:15 PM EDT
On the way home from work, I passed a white car being searched by the State Troopers.  (Sorry no pics––-did not have my camera, nor would it have been safe to snap a shot).  The hood was up,  and all four doors and the trunk wide open.  A large bag of stuff was strewn about on the roof, and the rear seat was sitting at the side of the car near the traffic lane.  

This reminded me that a proper vehicle search is essentially legal vandalism.  Upholstery is removed, cracks and crevices are probed, and general mayhem occurs to the contents.  To add insult to injury, there is no obligation on the police to put things back even if there is nothing found.  

It is likely, however, that this particular search was based on probable cause.  In any case, this is often how searches go.

ETA:  Please don't make this a cop bashing thread.  Think about what they need to do to find hidden contraband.  The crook has all kinds of time to hide his/her stuff and knows where it is.  To recover the stuff the crook does not have to do too much.  However, the police have no idea where the stuff is exactly.   In order for them to find it, they have to search everywhere paying particular attention to those places where contraband is often hidden.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#1]
IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
To add insult to injury, there is no obligation on the police to put things back even if there is nothing found.  

I'm going to miss those petrified French fries I've been keeping under my seat for the last 50,000 miles.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You clearly misunderstood.   They were just doing plenty of extra protecting and serving for that citizen in need.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
You refuse because nothing good will come of you giving consent. If they have to ask, it's because they can't without permission.

It's a break even proposition. The best you could hope for is where you are at before giving consent
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On the way home from work, I passed a white car being searched by the State Troopers.  (Sorry no pics––-did not have my camera, nor would it have been safe to snap a shot).  The hood was up,  and all four doors and the trunk wide open.  A large bag of stuff was strewn about on the roof, and the rear seat was sitting at the side of the car near the traffic lane.  

This reminded me that a proper vehicle search is essentially legal vandalism.  Upholstery is removed, cracks and crevices are probed, and general mayhem occurs to the contents.  To add insult to injury, there is no obligation on the police to put things back even if there is nothing found.  

It is likely, however, that this particular search was based on probable cause.  In any case, this is often how searches go.

ETA:  Please don't make this a cop bashing thread.  Think about what they need to do to find hidden contraband.  The crook has all kinds of time to hide his/her stuff and knows where it is.  To recover the stuff the crook does not have to do too much.  However, the police have no idea where the stuff is exactly.   In order for them to find it, they have to search everywhere paying particular attention to those places where contraband is often hidden.

and you said the circumstances of this search were what? oh thats right....
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]

It's a violation of my Constituional rights! I should be able to hide stolen guns, meth and kidnapped children in my vehicle if I want to!  Damned Nazi cops trying to stop me from commiting crimes. What do they think they are...law enforcement?

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Once someone consents to a search, they can not "unconsent".  The search can go on for as long as the LEOs want it to.

You may think that the search will just be of the glove compartment and the trunk, and end up with the search that the drug car got in "The French Connection".  

The bottom line is, if he asks for permission then you have the right to say no.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Once someone consents to a search, they can not "unconsent".  The search can go on for as long as the LEOs want it to.

You may think that the search will just be of the glove compartment and the trunk, and end up with the search that the drug car got in "The French Connection".  

The bottom line is, if he asks for permission then you have the right to say no.

Steve

Actually no, you can withdraw consent at anytime.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's a violation of my Constituional rights! I should be able to hide stolen guns, meth and kidnapped children in my vehicle if I want to!  Damned Nazi cops trying to stop me from commiting crimes. What do they think they are...law enforcement?

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
And beware of the trick questions like "You don't have any drugs in there, so you won't mind if I search your vehicle, right?"

Correct answer: "I do not consent to any searches!"  (loud enough for the dash cam and any witnesses to hear)
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I consented to a search once.. Checked under the seats, glove box and trunk.. No ripping etc.. But I did my one favor by said ok, and I won't consent again.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
NO!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
And beware of the trick questions like "You don't have any drugs in there, so you won't mind if I search your vehicle, right?"

Correct answer: "I do not consent to any searches!"  (loud enough for the dash cam and any witnesses to hear)

Unless you yelling turns into being suspicious and aggressive and then you're in for a real treat.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Steve

They can say stop at any time. If they think you are hiding something, they will get a search warrant on their PC, tow the vehicle, and tear it up worse than you could possibly imagine. Gas tank dropped, seats out, floor cut out, etc.

Depending upon agencies policy, if they tow it for some other infraction (you can go to jail for speeding, stop signs etc, in MO anyways) they can tow it, and inventory your contents before the tow, thus giving them "permission" anyways to search your vehicle.

Again this varies from agency, to agency.

Edit

I'm not saying this is right, but there are other ways around your consent.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Please don't make this a cop bashing thread.  

Why? With the way so many police treat citizens these days and all the crap they get away with that most people would get locked away a long time for, I think they pretty much deserve every piece of bashing they get. The too few good cops deserve to suffer through it for the too little they do to police their own and stop it.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:36:50 PM EDT
[#16]
"I'm sorry sir. I do not consent to searches. An unwarranted search would be a violation of my right to be secure in my person and property as protected by the 4th amendment, thank you"
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Please don't make this a cop bashing thread.  

Why? With the way so many police treat citizens these days and all the crap they get away with that most people would get locked away a long time for, I think they pretty much deserve every piece of bashing they get. The too few good cops deserve to suffer through it for the too little they do to police their own and stop it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You refuse because nothing good will come of you giving consent. If they have to ask, it's because they can't without permission.

It's a break even proposition. The best you could hope for is where you are at before giving consent

My understanding is that they may ask even if they think they can, because consent removes any doubt as to PC or RS.

Never consent to a search.  You have nothing to gain by allowing the police to search your person, vehicle or home.  Say firmly but politely, "I do not consent to a search."
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You are so full of shit that I'll bet your eyes are brown.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#20]
A friend of mine let a couple troopers search his car when we were teenagers.

They tore it all apart.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

They can say stop at any time. If they think you are hiding something, they will get a search warrant on their PC, tow the vehicle, and tear it up worse than you could possibly imagine. Gas tank dropped, seats out, floor cut out, etc.

Depending upon agencies policy, if they tow it for some other infraction (you can go to jail for speeding, stop signs etc, in MO anyways) they can tow it, and inventory your contents before the tow, thus giving them "permission" anyways to search your vehicle.

Edit

Wow - that's awesome.  Another way to undermine the USCON

I just laugh and tell them I do not consent to a search of my person or my property.

Get a fucking warrant - and hurry too - you don't have unlimited time buddy boy.

My vehicle has never been searched and I plan on keeping it that way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:45:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Steve

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

They tore it all apart.

Now seriously - what the fuck did they do that for

I'm sure they really bonded with normal, ordinary citizens acting like that - fucking assholes.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Steve

Where'd you go to law school?

Everyone should disregard the above
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

Edit

I just laugh and tell them I do not consent to a search of my person or my property.

Get a fucking warrant - and hurry too - you don't have unlimited time buddy boy.

If they tow the vehicle, they have plenty of time. If they suspect it to be containing something illegal, it will be entered into evidence until the lab can go thoroughly through it.

Again, I am not saying this is right, but it's the truth.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

Edit

Depending on the state... some have telephonic warrants.  Makes searching that much quicker.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thunderous FAIL.

ETA -

Have fun with that. Should be exciting if someone that owned the car before you did, dropped a reefer in a crack in the back seat.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#28]
YOU WILL NOT SEARCH MY VEHICLE !!!

Blade at a 45!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:48:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

Edit

Depending on the state... some have telephonic warrants.  Makes searching that much quicker.

Very true. When I talk LEO crap, I talk MO laws. I'm not too familiar with other states, besides the basics.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

ETA: Please don't make this a cop bashing thread.  Think about what they need to do to find hidden contraband.  The crook has all kinds of time to hide his/her stuff and knows where it is.  To recover the stuff the crook does not have to do too much.  However, the police have no idea where the stuff is exactly.   In order for them to find it, they have to search everywhere paying particular attention to those places where contraband is often hidden.

Ok how aboot a canada bashing thread? I had a much worse "inspection" when going into Canada Imagine a whole camping setup all taken apart and seemingly messed up on purpose. Tent poles WAY on one side of this huge table tent fly unrolled and in the middle tent at the opposite end of the other stuff! I think it took them 2 hours to search and they were pissed that it took 45 min to pack everything back up

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tore it all apart.

I'm sure they really bonded with normal, ordinary citizens acting like that - fucking assholes.

17 year old kid with a bright yellow car. Was driving home around midnight after a movie a couple towns away.

They said his car "fit a description" of a car they were looking for.

After they made a mess of his interior they said he was free to go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm good friends with a couple of narcs. They only tear a car apart that much when a dog hits, or they find something in a light search to make them think they'll get more. Permission or RS/PC is not a consideration once they've gone that deep.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'm having trouble understanding your logic in my alcohol and drug induced stupor. I'm going to let the officer search because he asked so nicely.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why don't you call them to come to your house and have a look around? What can it hurt, right?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:55:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

Edit

If they tow the vehicle, they have plenty of time. If they suspect it to be containing something illegal, it will be entered into evidence until the lab can go thoroughly through it.

Again, I am not saying this is right, but it's the truth.

I know you said "In MO," but I am thinking this is the exception, not the rule.  IIRC they can't really do that here, unless it's some serious shit - like DWI or something.

Last I checked, even failure to produce a drivers license was not an offense that calls for arrest.  I know how?  I saw a case in traffic court.  Guy pulls in to 7-11 for a late night milk run - front tag on the car is missing or some such (need 2 in MD).  Guy ran out and left his ID at home - 1/2 a mile away.

Judge told LEO don't ever bring a case like that into his courtroom again

Also saw one where a guy who lost his license . . . DWI . . .  well his car was involved in a accident.  Driver bailed and hauled ass.  LE shows up at his door, sticks a gun in his face and arrests him.  Judge was not impressed, cut the guy loose because no one - especially the police saw the driver.  And man was the judge pissed - court can be very entertaining.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like more then just a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

Edit

Still need a reason - pesky 4th Amendment
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I consented once for a search. The bastard pried out the onstar unit in the trunk of my new car because it looked funny. Cost me 210 bucks to get it repaired and the county absolutely refused to pick up the tab for the damage.

I don't care if I "have nothing to hide" ... Never Again will I consent to a search.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:59:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tore it all apart.

Because they're powertripping bullyboy douchebags? Seems to be the only answer re such badgefaggotry.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tore it all apart.

17 year old kid with a bright yellow car. Was driving home around midnight after a movie a couple towns away.

They said his car "fit a description" of a car they were looking for.

After they made a mess of his interior they said he was free to go.

Crock of shit and I'd be livid.  They'd be writing an explanation.  Why people - LE - whatever - act like pricks, what do they think the natural reaction will be?  Some of these nuts are just drunk with power.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

Edit

You mentioned the time frame.  Obviously you need PC for the warrant ..
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I consented once for a search. The bastard pried out the onstar unit in the trunk of my new car because it looked funny. Cost me 210 bucks to get it repaired and the county absolutely refused to pick up the tab for the damage.

I don't care if I "have nothing to hide" ... Never Again will I consent to a search.

See - what progress is made but that sort of nonsense?  I don't get it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tore it all apart.

Because they're powertripping bullyboy douchebags? Seems to be the only answer re such badgefaggotry.

Well I have a hard time believing that sort of thing yields positive results in the long run.  They are just pissing off innocent citizens - the ones they may need at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steve

Edit

You mentioned the time frame.  Obviously you need PC for the warrant ..

Indeed I did
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They tore it all apart.

Well I have a hard time believing that sort of thing yields positive results in the long run.  They are just pissing off innocent citizens - the ones they may need at some point in the future.

This really is the truth of the matter.

Doesn't seem like the best way to win "hearts and minds."

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#46]

I refuse each time I have been asked (3X).

I do not understand why anyone (criminal or reg. Joe) would say yes to a search...

Same thing with my home! No warrant-No search!!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I refuse each time I have been asked (3X).

I do not understand why anyone (criminal or reg. Joe) would say yes to a search...

Same thing with my home! No warrant-No search!!!!

You do realize that legally, they don't need a warrant, and if they can successfully articulate PC, and that you tried to stop them because they didn't have a warrant, you will be charged with a crime, right?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They tore it all apart.

This really is the truth of the matter.

Doesn't seem like the best way to win "hearts and minds."

no need for them to win hearts and minds they have you by the balls. From reading stories where cops shoot people it seems like the Soldiers in Afghanistan have more restrictions than the cops here do.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Steve

your ass, hole in the ground....all the same right?
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I was moving to Virginia using a U-Haul. One of the tail lights was out. I got stopped by 3 unmarked cars. They asked if they could search. I said sure.

As the cop opened the back door, one of those Little Tykes green plastic turtle sand boxes came dislodged and hit him square in the face. It knocked him to the ground and cut the bridge of his nose.

They poked around a little but couldn't stop laughing at the guy who was bleeding so they packed it up and left...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top