Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/1/2011 7:33:36 PM EDT
Cops and the First Amendment

News Source at: http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/07/30/suffolk-cops-arrest-tv-cameraman-at-crime-scene-video/

UPDATE - ETA- Time to turn up the heat to get Officer Facist Fired so his like minded supporters will get the message and curtail their Anti-Rights Behavior

See Page 2 for updated Article on this matter
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#1]
In!
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
1st reply?

And bump

ETA:  SOB!!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#3]
At least the officers went home safe that night, that's what counts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice to see they treat the media like the normal subjects now
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#5]
What a prick.

http://co.suffolk.ny.us/police/organization.htm

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Officer ought to be shit canned.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow.  My gut reaction is both unreasonable and irrational, but that's how I usually react to obvious violations of fundamental rights.  Just, wow.

ETA: The cops I know would never do something like this.  In fact, I can think of one who'd probably prevent something like from happening if he saw it starting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Move along.... Nothing to see here.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Officer ought to be shit canned IMPRISONED.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Oh yeah? That is, uh, shocking.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Officer ought to be shit canned IMPRISONED.

Then personally sued

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope Sgt Dickface and his departement are sued for violation of 1st Amendment - freedom of the press.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#15]
In before poopy's third account.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd say something nasty...but why bother? The filmed Cop's actions and words speak for volumes for his opinion on what kind of country HE THINKS America is.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Because I said so, I got a badge, what do you got?

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#18]
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlej2qa66yo
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#19]
What fucking jack booted douche bag...
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#20]
fucking piece of shit cop.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Need to hear the other side of the story first
None of you were there
There could have been a gun in the camera
Could have been a terrorist filming police response
Uniform is copyrighted and can't be filmed
Etc

Did I forget anything?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Suffolk County police confirmed that Datz was arrested and said he was charged with obstruction of governmental administration

He is obviously guilty, as evidenced by the video.  The officer was distracted from the scene by having to arrest him.  Had Datz not been there, the officer would not have been interrupted in the performance of his official duties.  

Right?

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:09:14 PM EDT
[#23]
How many isolated incidents does it take to create a patten of abuse?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#24]
A quote from Blade Runner comes to mind: "If you're not cop, you're little people."
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#25]
In.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

i don't know about you but there are hundreds of thousands of police officers across the entire US.  Who spend 10 hours days doing their jobs just fine.  You're so called logic would be similar to those who hate the military as a bunch of child killers.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

None of you were there

Etc

Did I forget anything?

Possibly a dog hiding in the camera, biding its time...

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Suffolk County police confirmed that Datz was arrested and said he was charged with obstruction of governmental administration

He is obviously guilty, as evidenced by the video.  The officer was distracted from the scene by having to arrest him.  Had Datz not been there, the officer would not have been interrupted in the performance of his official duties.  

Right?

That charge sounds like something straight out of 1984
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Oh yeah? That is, uh, shocking.

Don't worry, it's just an isolated incident.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Right?

I think you got it.  After all, the cop did have to walk an entire block to make the arrest.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#31]
interesting
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
None of you were there
Etc

Did I forget anything?

Possibly a dog hiding in the camera, biding its time...

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?

I think you got it.  After all, the cop did have to walk an entire block to make the arrest.

He didn't walk that block, he drove.

Races up crossing traffic diagonal right up to the guy.

Then hops out and takes the camera and arrests the guy.

His earlier walking / verbal menstruation must have put him in a lather.

The officer (sergeant?) seemed very agitated. Why? Who knows.

Not gonna speculate.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Jail for the cop.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#36]
And due to this film a few more Americans decide that perhaps the police are not looking out for their best interests.

And next incident more Americans decide the same thing.

And at the incident after the previous incident more Americans decide the same thing.

And on it goes, with the police loosing the respect of a larger percentage of the American people each day.

It may not be the result the police wish, but it is what is happening due to their actions.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#37]
It makes you wonder what they were doing to the suspect. Must have been something blatantly illegal to act that badly towards a camera.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i don't know about you but there are hundreds of thousands of police officers across the entire US.  Who spend 10 hours days doing their jobs just fine.  You're so called logic would be similar to those who hate the military as a bunch of child killers.

So I guess the officer will be charged with kidnapping right?  How about assault for putting his hands on someone?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It makes you wonder what they were doing to the suspect. Must have been something blatantly illegal to act that badly towards a camera.

Thats what many of us are thinking.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

None of you were there

Etc

Did I forget anything?

His mom forgot to cut the crust off of his sandwich and he was Mr. Grumpypants because of it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#42]
nice Job Officer

not really
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:28:23 PM EDT
[#43]
fuck it, I'm in
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:19:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I hope Sgt Dickface and his departement are sued for violation of 1st Amendment - freedom of the press.

What does it matter the Tax payers are the ones who are going to foot the bill either by more taxes or revenue by fines and tickets. It is a cycle where the citizen is the biggest looser.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Wow.  My gut reaction is both unreasonable and irrational, but that's how I usually react to obvious violations of fundamental rights.  Just, wow.

ETA: The cops I know would never do something like this.  In fact, I can think of one who'd probably prevent something like from happening if he saw it starting.

You can only think of one that might stop another from commiting a crime and you think that is a good thing?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:25:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What does it matter the Tax payers are the ones who are going to foot the bill either by more taxes or revenue by fines and tickets. It is a cycle where the citizen is the biggest looser.
A Tragedy of the Commons, of sorts.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were hundreds of thousands of KKK members during it's height, of who a relatively small number committed lynching, killings and other crimes. By your logic because the number of crimes committed by the KKK were relatively small compared to their total membership, the KKK was never a problem and never should have been dealt with.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#48]
citizans get arrested everyday for filming the police. The problem here is the guy works for a news company which is the Catch 22 in these filming cases. Police use anti wire tapping laws to make arrest against people filming them. When a person works for a news company these laws do not apply as they do for normal Joe Blow with a camera

My thoughts on all of this is the police across the country have been told to not allow themselves to be filmed, and arrest anyone who does film them. My question is why care if your being filmed if your not doing anything wrong?
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:32:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Am I in before the arfcops tell us that the police like and welcome videotaping?

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

My question is why care if your being filmed if your not doing anything wrong?

Funny how when the tables are turned, you get a whole different result.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top