Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2002 4:30:31 PM EDT
Insiders suggest that, partly as a result of this finding, Nasa may now commit itself to a manned landing within 20 years.
View Quote

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_2009000/2009318.stm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Water, lots of water !!

On to Mars, Europa and eventually the stars !!
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Water=good news for  manned missions, good news for the possibility of life, and awsome news for terraforming!

Now all we need is a congress and space agency that have the slightest glimpmer of vision!
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You said it AS...dammit, we NEED to send men to Mars.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You said it AS...dammit, we NEED to send men to Mars.
View Quote

Rik,
maybe consider a couple or three womenz too ??  Strictly for the science.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I heard about this last night and have to say I've been big excited about the possibilities - both for what may have been and what may be.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On to Mars, Europa and eventually the stars !!
View Quote

I heartily agree!  However, Europa orbits within jupiter's lethal radiation belt.  It's the same situation for all of the galilean moons, and I believe the major moons of saturn as well.  It is unlikely they can ever be colonized, despite what science fiction authors would have us believe.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a question. I read somewhere that, even if there was enough water in the ground, once it was vapor or liquid, it would escape into space.  Something to do with the gravity on Mars not being sufficiently strong enough to retain it.  Is this true? Also the core of Mars is solid and not molten like Earths giving different magnetic properties and gravity.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm buying stock in the water purifers companies.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:52:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow! finally good pics of the face. I was really pissed about the first pictures that they published, all blurry and washed out. As if altered in Photoshop to hide something. These new pics are eerie, eye sockets, nostrils and everything. No more B.S. explainations about tricks of light and shadow.

And what the hell is that "vein" looking thing in the center picture. It looks like a tunnel or pathway.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
My son says the water can be used to create fuel & O2 -- handy --  but would this require external energy?  Solar? Nuke?

They were saying that if the water melted, it would flood the place.  Don't understand how this would happen if it's all subsurface, unless it's at a higher elevation.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My son says the water can be used to create fuel & O2 -- handy --  but would this require external energy?  Solar? Nuke?
View Quote

Solar would work fine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, this can be done using solar energy.  It mentions this in the article I linked to.

They were saying that if the water melted, it would flood the place.  Don't understand how this would happen if it's all subsurface, unless it's at a higher elevation.
View Quote

They just said that to illustrate the quantity of water that is present.  I think it would all stay underground except for whatever we decided to pump to the surface.

Edited to add:  The current state of the martian atmosphere does not allow liquid water to exist on the surface, as the pressure is much too low.  If I remember correctly, the atmosphere is actually in equilibrium with the sublimation of the polar caps, meaning it is very thin.  Less than 1% of our atmosphere at sea level IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:39:23 PM EDT
[#15]
legs,
the anomaly possibilities are fascinating but if we could just find a single cockroach skeleton our world just changed.........dramatically  !!

We can only hope the government shares the complete information with us.  The philosophical and religious implications of finding anything that ever lived much less anything that still lives are staggering.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Now all we need is a congress and space agency that have the slightest glimpmer of vision!
View Quote

We, or our descendants, must find that congress while there are still ample resources here on earth and the moon that we need to visit and then colonize Mars.

Although I do not know how or in what manner the resources will be used, there are ample resources in our tiny solar system to allow us to begin leap frogging into deep space.

We'll either go to Mars and the stars or die here as a people.  (Although we may not travel in our present form as this form does not appear to adapt well to extended space travel.)
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#17]
The water is ONLY three feet down !!

I wonder what type life could live down there considering the conditions on Mars ??  We're still finding life forms in the deep oceans living in conditions that few would have thought possible only a few years ago.

Where did we come from ??
Where will we go ??
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://greghavener.com/images/slide7.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[img]http://greghavener.com/images/slide7.jpg[/img]
View Quote

I think I've seen that face before......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top