User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2002 8:49:16 AM EDT
[url]www.buffalonews.com/editoria...527/1004530.asp[/url]

3 Amish men charged in buggy race, crash

By ANTHONY CARDINALE
News Staff Reporter
5/27/2002

Three young Amish men have been charged in a late-night buggy race in the Town of Leon in which a collision with a fourth buggy left a horse dead.

The charges were announced Sunday after a weeklong investigation of the May 19 accident by the Cattaraugus County Sheriff's Department. Deputies were called to the scene after a dead horse and smashed buggy were found in a ditch on Riga Road last Monday.

Deputies said the three men from Leon were racing their buggies south on Riga Road at 11 p.m. when they crested a knoll and encountered a northbound buggy driven by Eli D. Miller, 17, of Napoli. The unsuspecting Miller collided with the horse and buggy driven by Jacob E. Wengerd, 17, of Route 62, deputies said. Wengerd's horse was killed, and Miller's horse suffered cuts to its legs and chest, deputies added.

Wengerd was charged with cruelty to an animal, taking part in an unlawful speed contest, unsafe passing and failure to keep right.

The other two buggies were driven by Wengerd's brother, Andy E., 18, and Joseph R. Miller, 20, of Riga Road, according to deputies. Both men were charged with taking part in an unlawful speed contest.

No injuries were reported. The three defendants must appear in Leon Town Court on June 5.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
When you let the Amish kids watch "The Fast and The Furious" on a neighbors tv see what happens[:D]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I've always said that drinking and buggy driving don't mix.

(trying hard not to laugh)

-legrue

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes the gene pool needs a little chlorine.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:12:58 AM EDT
[#5]
That is bizzzzzare.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Amish punks street buggy:

- Decals of buggy tuning and performance part shops plaster all over their rides
- Lowered leaf-springs suspension with ultra-low profile wheels
- Steroid injected horses with free-flow exhausts (don't ask)
- Momo leather straps, Sparco bucket seats and 5-point safety harness, not to mention buggy roll cage.

and they hang out with babes from the wrong side of the farm, dressed in provocative outfits showing their (gasp!) ankles.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#7]
This is hilarious on so many levels.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#8]
"TypeR" was shaved into the horse's rump hair.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#9]
That looks like a story from the onion.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, that's life in the fast lane!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder what they do at Amish side shows?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:01:03 AM EDT
[#12]

reposted to fix the url...

[url]http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20020527/1004530.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
When you let the Amish kids watch "The Fast and The Furious" on a neighbors tv see what happens[:D]
View Quote

Doh!...Foiled with my comment again!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#14]
What?!? No mention of the Neon lanterns accenting the udercarriage of the buggy?

Maybe some SBS horse-shoes could have prevented this.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing a bunch of guys and girls (with open-toe sandals) gathered in a circle while one of the Amish boys entices his horse to run around in circles?

Maybe if the horse had the 3-piece wing on his ass, this would have never happened.
LOL
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:55:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm guessing a bunch of guys and girls (with open-toe sandals) gathered in a circle while one of the Amish boys entices his horse to run around in circles?

Maybe if the horse had the 3-piece wing on his ass, this would have never happened.
LOL
View Quote

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!![:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top