Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2002 4:44:33 PM EDT
Do any of you go to the Old Dominion shows that Terry Mac puts on? I used to be a regular dealer with him and am getting ready to start doing his shows again and was wondering how many of you I may end up meeting. Unless there is a problem I'll be at his Dale City show next month.

Maybe I'll see you there?[beer]

Jake
[url]www.old-dominion-armory.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Jake, I've been to all the Old Dominion shows except WV. There is a guy that used to go and deal mostly with CR old military rifles. Man he had some nice tough stuff and reasonable prices. There was a liberty safe dealer that used to be there back in the day. I haven;t seen either of them in a long time. Too bad! I now see that the DARK SUN gets most of the business and has real reasonable prices. I have bought many items from them. The last show in Dale at least 2 of the employees were rude to the wife, guess what? Not buying squat from them again. There are very few reasons to go anymore. The good ole days are gone! The EE is better than the show and much easier to deal with.

Now if that CR dealer would come back i'd be stopping in again. I like to learn and talk about interests.

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Dark Sun is quite the company isn't it? Seems like Dave can pull green label Colts out of thin air! It took me a long time to get on his good side before. If you were going to the ODGS back before Y2K do you by any chance remember Appalachian Arms (big banner with a rangefinding rectical on it, yellow golf shirts with the same logo)? Well that was my company, maybe we've done business before.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The C&E shows are good, with the exception of the Johnson City show. But have you been to the Roanoke show that Showmasters puts on? Now thats a good show, on two levels at the civic center, its one of my favorites. I got to be near the door for the Christmas 99 show, kinda felt like Steve Jobs at the technology show when he introduced Lisa in Pirates of Silicon Valley.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually just get ammo at the shows, and sometimes small parts. Most of the guys have a monoply on whatever thay are selling so they have jacked prices. Like $45 for a riser mount i can get for $15 on the internet. And AR's a little over priced. My biggest gripe is the AR parts kits, WAY over priced, like around $400 for an upper with no bolt, and no, not colt either.  And I wish they had cheap lowers for me to build parts guns with.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to go to OD shows a lot.  Started going to the shows in Richmond and now only go to an OD show when a relative is in town or something.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:01:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I usually hit either the Roanoke or Salem shows.  Anyone going to either of these anytime soon?
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I've bought five or so firearms from Dark Sun. Rude? not as far as i've seen. There table is always packed so i can understand if they are "short" with people. They cant always pull a Colt pre-ban out of thin air. Had to wait till the next show before i could get another.

I go to the Fun shows in Roanoke and Salem.

Anyone met that old guy who has alot of AR-15 parts and M-4 uppers with a black net drapped over them and high prices. I can get most of the stuff he sales cheaper by internet as well.

I hate dealers who drape nets over the stuff. Cords i can uderstand for handguns, but nets...NO

I dont like Dealers who wont let you touch a firearm either-i understand if its some pristine engraved POS, but some dealers wont let you handle a used firearm.

I always enjoy seeing that guy with the M-60 at his table. His prices are high, but a nice guy.

lib
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:13:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:38:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I go to the Fun shows in Roanoke and Salem.

Anyone met that old guy who has alot of AR-15 parts and M-4 uppers with a black net drapped over them and high prices. I can get most of the stuff he sales cheaper by internet as well.

I hate dealers who drape nets over the stuff. Cords i can uderstand for handguns, but nets...NO

lib
View Quote

If you are talking about the rotund gentleman who sells parts for everything from Springfields to ARs and uses red table covers then that would be Doc. He is a very interesting individual, isn't he? Anyway his daughter is the promoter of the Roanoke show, they're both really good people.

Jake

edited to add: Doc was also a former partner in MAC, the man knows his stuff on NFA if you get a chance to talk to him.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you are talking about the rotund gentleman who sells parts for everything from Springfields to ARs and uses red table covers then that would be Doc. He is a very interesting individual, isn't he? Anyway his daughter is the promoter of the Roanoke show, they're both really good people.

Jake

edited to add: Doc was also a former partner in MAC, the man knows his stuff on NFA if you get a chance to talk to him.
View Quote

Never said he was a bad person, but then that does'nt make his goods cheaper does it? [:D]

Lib who is being a rude idiot for no good reason. Or maybe its because i bought a set of M4 Colt handguards from him that did'nt fit right.-more like a factory reject.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I always enjoy going to the Dale show. I usually pick up ammo or whatever odds and ends I come across. Man, it's worth going just to listen in on some of the conversations and the characters that are having them.

I just get a good old world feeling when im at a gunshow. Honest, hardworking, Americans gathering to discuss an honored pasttime that really means something.

Im still waiting for Chuck Heston or LaPierre to show their mug at one though. I think that would speak volumes about the true support of the NRA.

In spite of the much lavished BRC kicking off this weekend, the Dale show will have to due for me. For those of you making the trek, good luck, godspeed and I hope the weather holds out.

Semper-Fi Do or Die, 03 out!!   [sniper]

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
The showmasters show in Roanoke is at times decent.  You have to call ahead of time to see exactly how big the show is.  Usually the first of any season they have both floors open, but anything mid-season all is open is the small "meeting room" downstairs, with hardly anything at all.

Just went to the C&E Richmond show a couple of weeks ago for the 1st time.  I was quite impressed, considering the only other show I had been to is the Salem show.  As far as stores, Trader Jerrys just opened a store in Salem (small trip down the street from my place of employment), which to my understanding, they are related to the guys at Dark Sun.  Although I may be mistaken, been known to be in the past.

With all these folks coming to the SWVa shows,  why havent we had a shoot yet?  Or maybe I simply havent gotten into the right crowd yet, or posted enough yet  :o)  ?

The Whistlepig
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The showmasters show in Roanoke is at times decent.  You have to call ahead of time to see exactly how big the show is.  Usually the first of any season they have both floors open, but anything mid-season all is open is the small "meeting room" downstairs, with hardly anything at all.

Just went to the C&E Richmond show a couple of weeks ago for the 1st time.  I was quite impressed, considering the only other show I had been to is the Salem show.  As far as stores, Trader Jerrys just opened a store in Salem (small trip down the street from my place of employment), which to my understanding, they are related to the guys at Dark Sun.  Although I may be mistaken, been known to be in the past.

With all these folks coming to the SWVa shows,  why havent we had a shoot yet?  Or maybe I simply havent gotten into the right crowd yet, or posted enough yet  :o)  ?

The Whistlepig
View Quote

Whistlepig,
 I can tell you this Jerry Cochran has nothing to do with Dark Sun or Patriot. Jerry is from my part of the world, far southwest VA. He is actually the person who got me into dealing.
 I am also sorry to say that I won't get to go to Dale City this evening, I had buisness in TN this morning and didn't get back to my store till nearly 1pm. You all have fun and I'll probobly be in Bealton.

Jake
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:27:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...  I can tell you this Jerry Cochran has nothing to do with Dark Sun or Patriot. Jerry is from my part of the world, far southwest VA. He is actually the person who got me into dealing. ...
View Quote

Let me put in a kind word for Trader Jerry.  His prices aren’t quite as good as Dark Sun’s (whose is?), but they’re as good as anyone else’s.  Plus he always has a great selection and will order guns for you.

More importantly, he appears to be an honest gentleman in what sometimes seems to be a swimming pool full of sharks.

I will go out of my way to steer my business to him.  I just wish his store wasn’t in the tail end of Virginia!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top