Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2011 12:04:19 PM EDT
The older that I get, the more I become aware of just how much I don't know.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

This, along with the fact that I forget more is making life tougher the older I get.

Now what were we talking about again?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Not in terms of wisdom...but in terms of absent mindedness...If I'm at work and I want to forward something to my personal e-mail..my Evo (sitting on the desk) will notify me 30 seconds later that I have a personal e-mail..Sometimes I wonder what it is (having forgotten that I sent it to myself)
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is truth.

GD however, fights this intellectual vacuum on a 24 x 7 basis!
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I just find myself not giving a fuck about a lot of shit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Other way around, the older I get (38) the more the younger folks seem to be complete idiots, especially financially.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#6]
You're not getting dumber, you're become wiser.

A wise man is aware of his ignorance.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is truth.

GD however, fights this intellectual vacuum on a 24 x 7 basis!
Probably the hardest thing I find to say these days, to anybody, is... "You're wrong."

I mean, heck... what the hell do I know?

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Well, that is true too.

I've got a whole list of shit that I just don't care about anymore.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, it drives me nuts.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The older I get the more I find out how stupid OTHER people are.  In the Information Technology realm there are a lot of people that quite simply don't know shit.  They are in middle management and they are bane of my existence.  I don't suffer fools well and I am well above the ranks of middle management - sadly I still have to get them to do work they should know how to do.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Anytime you think you're smart just ask your wife for a reality check...
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This

and I know I don't know shit about much anyway.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Other way around, the older I get (38) the more the younger folks seem to be complete idiots, especially technically financially.

I've been dealing with some real beauties the last couple of days.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, that is true too.

I've got a whole list of shit that I just don't care about anymore.

Just making a list shows you care.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You're not getting dumber, you're become wiser.

A wise man is aware of his ignorance.

exactly. i work with a bunch of nuclear engineers who are intelligent, but not exactly wise. these people seem to be of the opinion that because they are technically proficient in a very difficult field, that they are automatically more competent than others in "simpler" tasks. sort of frustrating when someone who's never studied civil engineering or construction management tells you you're building something wrong.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I just pop in another memory chip.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup.  I used to think I knew everything... then I graduated from college and got a job.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#20]
The smarter you are, the more likely you are to begin to grasp the real depth of human (including YOUR) ignorance.

So, it's best to look at it thusly: the older I get, the more I realize what a fucking dumbass I was. If it keeps up at this rate, someday I will realize what a dumbass I AM.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Your talking about me aren't you?

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a great uncle who would look at me, then go through a multitude of names before he got mine right,.
Hey Dave, ...uh Max, .....uh John, ....uh Steve, ...uh Leon, ....uh Billy, .....oh, yeah,  Dan.
I always told my wife hat I hoped I never got as bad as Uncle Harvey, no, uh Uncle Bob, no, uh it was Uncle Kevin, no, uh it was UNCLE EDDIE!
Damn, I remember his name.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#23]
“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.”

-Twain
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#24]

I find other people getting dumber, the older I get.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That for sure, but cognative skills are only diminished a bit.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Not really but I sure do have a problem remembering things that I knew before....

Sometimes I just can't remember simple things that I'm positive I have the answer for........
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#27]
No way!

I learn stuff every day. Way more than when I was in school.

I know there's no way in Hell I can even keep up, but trying to is a blast.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How can you tell what you don't know if you don't know what the it is you should know?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#29]
I find myself becoming humbler the older I get. When I was 20 everything was black and white and I thought I knew it all.
Now, 40 years later, I look back and realize how silly and clueless I must have appeared.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#30]
There`s a lot of things I forget, because now i choose to forget them. It`s almost like my
brain is so full, i have to forget something to make room for something new. But as I get
older, there`s more and more that just flat dosen`t matter to me anymore. Snide remarks,
differences of opinion, what passes for popular thought, I just don`t care.
When i was younger, popularity was important, now i don`t even wanna know what most
folks think of me. And i don`t do "consensus".

I`ve found that young people do not want to know what i know, or what i think. Good, let them
learn painfully.

And damn right I`m smarter than i was. I`ve lived and learned a lot. My brain and my judgment
works a bunch better and healthier than ever. By the time I`m 80 or so, I`m gonna be a genius!

the Scruff
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Other way around, the older I get (38) the more the younger folks seem to be complete idiots, especially financially.

Same here. I can't believe how irresponsible and stupid most Americans are, especially the latest generation. I sometimes think that if a dummy like me can manage to pay his bills, live within his means and understand basic economics, what the hell is everyone else's problem? Most of the time I feel like an Einstein when interacting with the general public.

ETA, then again, maybe I'm the stupid one for working hard for what I have. We seem to be living in a world where right is wrong, up is down and left is right. Maybe what dad taught me was wrong? It sure don't seem to matter these days.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#32]
As Homer Simpson said, my brain is full.  If I want to remember something I have to forget something else.  

Seriously, though––I know I"m not as sharp as I used to be, and that's rather depressing.  I always prided myself on my intellect.  I suffered a concussion four years ago, and it felt like my IQ went down 30 points afterwards.  Not sure it all ever came back.  The scariest part was the comments of all the doctors who viewed my MRI and CAT scan: "patient's brain is shrinking".  Not from the concussion, mind you, just from getting old.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
As Homer Simpson said, my brain is full.  If I want to remember something I have to forget something else.  

Seriously, though––I know I"m not as sharp as I used to be, and that's rather depressing.  I always prided myself on my intellect.  I suffered a concussion four years ago, and it felt like my IQ went down 30 points afterwards.  Not sure it all ever came back.  The scariest part was the comments of all the doctors who viewed my MRI and CAT scan: "patient's brain is shrinking".  Not from the concussion, mind you, just from getting old.  

Hopefully it's not the 10% you're using!

Seriously, if you even have half a brain, you're still better off than the mindless zombies our schools are churning out these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top