Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/21/2011 6:59:26 PM EDT
But that is really not true, you would think logically as people get older they have a lifetime of experiences to develop knowledge from but it really doesn't work that way. It seems like after a certain point you are just stupid forever. I would say if you don't have common sense by 23 you will never have it. I so very rarely meet a smart older person that I have started automatically labeling anyone who is older an idiot without even thinking about it, I realized I was doing it today, but I don't think I'm wrong for doing it. I am more apt to trust a young person now because I know they haven't fucked their whole life up, on the other hand most of the older people I talk to have fucked their whole life.

Maybe its just the batch of elders that I interact with, which are older guys in my .mil unit and people that go to the same college as me.

Anyone else have this same thing happening to them?

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#1]
A youngster who thinks older people are stupid. You are a rare individual.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I knew that was going to be the stereotypical response I would get. Next

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me just say this; First post nails it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have typed your post into my OP, eh hindsight you know how it goes.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll figure it out when you get older.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Now that I've learned that high school never actually ends, I feel kinda ambivalent about... well, the rest of life.

People learn more as they go along, but they're really about the same, age be damned. Still, I'd trust a guy with 30 years experience on something over the new hire. But, that can't be what you mean.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
This used to be true before we put warning labels on everything.    Now you can be a dumbass and live for a century.  If a sumbitch wants to use a heat gun as a blow dryer, we should let them.   If they want to light fireworks in the mouth, they should not have someone getting in their way.  We protect the stupid.   Little Johnnies tonka toys should still be folded sheet metal.   If he lops off a finger, then it is a headsup to everyone that works with him that this guy needs to be kept away from dangerous shit when working near you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should have typed your post into my OP, eh hindsight you now how it goes.

Oh the irony.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

But that is really not true, you would think logically as people get older they have a lifetime of experiences to develop knowledge from but it really doesn't work that way. It seems like after a certain point you are just stupid forever. I would say if you don't have common sense by 23 you will never have it. I so very rarely meet a smart older person that I have started automatically labeling anyone who is older an idiot without even thinking about it, I realized I was doing it today, but I don't think I'm wrong for doing it. I am more apt to trust a young person now because I know they haven't fucked their whole life up, on the other hand most of the older people I talk to have fucked their whole life.

Maybe its just the batch of elders that I interact with, which are older guys in my .mil unit and people that go to the same college as me.

My buddy has a theory that a lot of people that grow old in the military are too stupid to be successful in the civilian world, thus they keep reenlisting.  A lot of the smarter dudes realize that the .mil has added to their resume, get sick of the bullshit and low pay and get out to try to become successful as a civilian.  Thus, old dudes in mil = dumb, young dudes in mil = smart.

As a rule, I think it's stupid.  But damn it, it sure seems like it applies at times.

That said, I've known a LOT of smart old dudes.  I try to listen to the geezers and take their advice to heart.  Most of 'em have been around the block a few times and know what they're talking about, even if it sounds like they don't.  You just have to adjust things for the times.  As far as the idiots go, there are idiots of all ages.. just brush em off.

ETA:  Just noticed your name.  Disregard.  This theory works for active duty only.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This used to be true before we put warning labels on everything.    Now you can be a dumbass and live for a century.  If a sumbitch wants to use a heat gun as a blow dryer, we should let them.   If they want to light fireworks in the mouth, they should not have someone getting in their way.  We protect the stupid.   Little Johnnies tonka toys should still be folded sheet metal.   If he lops off a finger, then it is a headsup to everyone that works with him that this guy needs to be kept away from dangerous shit when working near you.

I completely agree with you, I hate the laws that protect stupid people.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wow, guy, if I didn't know better, I would consider this trolling.

Thanks for your service, but did you ever think you might be generalizing a bit?

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My buddy has a theory that a lot of people that grow old in the military are too stupid to be successful in the civilian world, thus they keep reenlisting.  A lot of the smarter dudes realize that the .mil has added to their resume, get sick of the bullshit and low pay and get out to try to become successful as a civilian.  Thus, old dudes in mil = dumb, young dudes in mil = smart.

As a rule, I think it's stupid.  But damn it, it sure seems like it applies at times.

That said, I've known a LOT of smart old dudes.  I try to listen to the geezers and take their advice to heart.  Most of 'em have been around the block a few times and know what they're talking about, even if it sounds like they don't.  You just have to adjust things for the times.  As far as the idiots go, there are idiots of all ages.. just brush em off.

Your talking about the Atlas Shrugged effect, and too some extent that is true.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#14]
20 years ago you'd be wrong, but this here internet thing has made anyone unable to use it completely redundant.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There's difference between smart and wise.

I make big money not for what I know but for my wisdom in applying it.

At the ripe old age of 50 it is more difficult to learn but I still continue to learn.

Ding ding ding!

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for your service, but did you ever think you might be generalizing a bit?

I admit I am generalizing, I scolded myself when I realized I was doing it. Then I thought it over and realized I had a reason I was doing it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#17]
There are jerks and idiots of every age group.  People have different motives for the things they do.  If you think eveyone older than you is dumb then its probably time for you to stop ageing so while you are re-thinking this just go hold you head under water until you understand.

Hot Link
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Lifetime democrats (working, middle class) never get wiser. How many years of having your wallet picked does it take to figure it out?
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#19]
People DO generally become more knowledgeable with age.

The problem is, some folks start out so fucking stupid that it's impossible to overcome in one lifetime.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Some people learn. Some people don't. I look back on who I was five years ago and grimace. In five years I will look back on myself again and grimace.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Now that I've learned that high school never actually ends, I feel kinda ambivalent about... well, the rest of life.

You get used to it.  I get to make fun of my wife's girlfriends who still think that Spring Break, or Senior Week, was the BEST TIME EVAH!!

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#22]
The older I get, the more I realize how much I don't know.....
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Some people learn. Some people don't. I look back on who I was five years ago and grimace. In five years I will look back on myself again and grimace.

I feel the same way about myself YEARLY.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I admit I am generalizing, I scolded myself when I realized I was doing it. Then I thought it over and realized I had a reason I was doing it.

Forget "older".  Most people are idiots.  It's better to be pleasantly surprised when you learn someone is competent or intelligent than to be disappointed when you realize that they're morons.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I can say for certain that some people will never learn.

A quick look into any politics thread is a good example.  Lots of elder members here who have voted (R) their entire life even though (R)'s have continually fucked our country.  They will continue to vote (R) expecting something different to happen this time.

The very definition of insanity.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Forget "older".  Most people are idiots.  It's better to be pleasantly surprised when you learn someone is competent or intelligent than to be disappointed when you realize that they're morons.

I completely agree with you. The reason I zeroed in on older people was because younger people have an excuse they are young and inexperienced therefore they should be making mistakes to learn from them. While on the other hand older people have made a lifetime of mistakes and they have not learned anything.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#27]
As I get older, I just want to take a nap.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#28]
My old Scoutmaster (who is now in his 80's) is one sharp old dude (always was). I visit him occasionally and learn something new every time. He has some fascinating stories.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:50:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Older people do know more, but many times they also know less. As long as you're not dealing with someone who just believes that because they are older they have to be right about everything, even when they are wrong, you're usually good to go. They people who are more open to realizing that age doesn't bring greater knowledge or wisdom usually have more wisdom and knowledge. Probably has something to do with the whole idea of the more you know, the more you realize you know very little...

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I completely agree with you. The reason I zeroed in on older people was because younger people have an excuse they are young and inexperienced therefore they should be making mistakes to learn from them. While on the other hand older people have made a lifetime of mistakes and they have not learned anything.

If by "younger" you mean "under 12", then I agree.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh the irony.  

And you know he won't get it, which makes it even better.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#32]
You can learn something new every day. How you apply that knowledge is up to you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Older people do know more, but many times they also know less. As long as you're not dealing with someone who just assumes that because they are older they are right about everything, even when they are wrong, you're usually good to go. They people who are more open to realizing that age doesn't always bring greater knowledge or wisdom usually have more wisdom and knowledge. Probably has something to do with the whole idea of the more you know, the more you realize you know very little...

I would love to meet someone who doesn't think that. A lot of the older people I talk to assume they are smarter then me even though they are up to their eyeballs in debt, living in apartments, on their third marriage, etc. When I meet someone who is successful I ask them questions "how did you do this?" and "what steps did you take to get yourself here?" etc. But most older people I offer advice to blow me off even though they know my situation and that I am doing well they assume that somehow their same failed tactics are just going to start working.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:56:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh the irony.  

Yes I see the old man club making jokes and waving their canes. You have been acknowledged.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#35]
A man's got to know his limitations.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh, to be young again... when I knew everything.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I can say for certain that some people will never learn.

A quick look into any politics thread is a good example.  Lots of elder members here who have voted (R) their entire life even though (R)'s have continually fucked our country.  They will continue to vote (R) expecting something different to happen this time.

The very definition of insanity.

I've gotten into some interesting arguments with my dad about that. He rants and raves about how he doesn't understand why I won't vote republican. He complains complains complains about the left and liberals and democrats, but has done nothing to truly stop them or defeat them. All he does is vote Republican. I say its time to take off the gloves and get medieval on the left and the establishment. Be far worse and far bigger assholes than they ever could be and just brutally crush them and drive them from the social and political landscape. Conan was right when he said what is best in life. To see your enemies driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women. I want a new party and I want a new Reagan. I don't want a Rhino and I don't want any of the establishment having a say in anything because they are destroying the country just as badly as the democrats and the socialists.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh the irony.  

To give him the benefit of the doubt, he was a little smarter when he typed the first post.  Now that a little time's gone by...
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Older people do know more, but many times they also know less. As long as you're not dealing with someone who just assumes that because they are older they are right about everything, even when they are wrong, you're usually good to go. They people who are more open to realizing that age doesn't always bring greater knowledge or wisdom usually have more wisdom and knowledge. Probably has something to do with the whole idea of the more you know, the more you realize you know very little...

I would love to meet someone who doesn't think that. A lot of the older people I talk to assume they are smarter then me even though they are up to their eyeballs in debt, living in apartments, on their third marriage, etc. When I meet someone who is successful I ask them questions "how did you do this?" and "what steps did you take to get yourself here?" etc. But most older people I offer advice to blow me off even though they know my situation and that I am doing well they assume that somehow their same failed tactics are just going to start working.

Most people are stupid and hate truth in all its forms. All you can do is observe people and learn what not to do.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The fact that anyone over 30 votes Democrat proves you right.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Most people are stupid and hate truth in all its forms. All you can do is observe people and learn what not to do.  

This is so true.  A few thousand years ago the Athenians murdered Socrates.  Humanity hasn't improved much since.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

When I meet someone who is successful I ask them questions "how did you do this?" and "what steps did you take to get yourself here?" etc.

I know very few people, regardless of age, who ask probing, inquisitive, questions.

If you asked these questions of me, I would answer them, as best I could. Whether you would find my answers informative, or not, is up to you.

When people ask my opinion, I find it hard not to hold up a mirror and ask them to repeat the question, because they really want validation for the answer they already thought of.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#43]
When I was 16 years old I could not believe how dumb my father wasI

When I was 26 year old I was totally amazed how much my father learned in 10 years!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#44]
As someone in the bottom half of their 20s, I do often have the "You're HOW old, and you haven't figured _____ out? " moments, to be sure. But keep in mind OP, there's a reason you go on the web looking up random crap at all hours of the night, or asking questions on this board- it's because luckily, we don't know everything.
If you're encountering only idiots- I suggested searching out new bodies of water... as there's always a bigger fish.

If you disagree with the findings of the "old people", at least listen to their experiences and stories. At 23, there's a bunch of life experiences that one hasn't had the chance to see yet- to halt the search for data or to label all older people as a moron in a knee-jerk fashion? Kinda silly no? You cheat only yourself. Use it as data, put on "Blinders", and write your own rubric on what someone should know by what age, run your own race.

That said: IMHO, Somewhere out there, there's a 46 year old version of you, waiting to figuratively burn your house down in discussion , but methinks you'll learn a lot from him.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Working ANY customer service job you'll see the loads and loads of stupid people that are older. Not just ignorant but plain stupid, no common sense.

I met a young chick today that was stupid. I had to threaten to trespass her ass.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:29:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh the irony.  

Yes I see the old man club making jokes and waving their canes. You have been acknowledged.

See, I was right.  And bluster to cover it up.
Remember the first rule of holes, young padawan.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:32:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Working ANY customer service job you'll see the loads and loads of stupid people that are older. Not just ignorant but plain stupid, no common sense.

And every one of them, barring Alzheimer's, was even dumber when they were younger.
Reservist's problem is that he is hanging with the wrong old guys; not that old guys are dumber than they were when they were younger.  I guarantee, he will think he gets more wisdom as he ages, but will be dumb enough to think he is the exception to the rule.

A basic failure in observation and extrapolation.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

you sound like my 15year old daughter. She thinks she nows everything too.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:42:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you sound like my 15year old daughter. She thinks she nows everything too.

Sound like a stereotypical old guy.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Wisdom comes from understanding what you don't know...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top