Posted: 6/18/2011 6:03:49 PM EDT
Atheists and humanists in the military continue to come together
throughout the world.  From Japan to Italy and throughout the US,
leaders are stepping up.  Communities are forming
as well, in some cases with the help of local chaplains.  The following
is a series of reports on successes at the grass-roots level.  On-post
groups, collaborations with military and civilians groups, and
individual points of contact are all coming together as the military
backbone of the international network of atheists and humanists.

MAAF also works with other organizations such as the International Humanist & Ethical Union, the UK Armed Forces Humanist Association,
and associated members in locations such as Australia and Canada.  One
international effort is to provide assistance to Nadav Heipert, an Israeli Defense
Force soldier seeking his own freedoms within an overtly religious
military.  Having a supportive outside organization gives him comfort
that the IDF does not provide.  The IDF includes religious oaths and
supports a religious Constitution.  His situation is legally different
than US military personnel, but his need for a connection with
like-minded individuals is not different.  The UK Armed  Forces Humanist
Association is looking for US and other members in Qatar to grow a local group.  Athena Holter-Mehren in Turkey has started MAAF Incirlik.  Tom Essenpreis is a new point of contact looking for more members in Kandahar, Afghanistan.
 These international efforts are new, but reflect the reach of our
membership and a history of prior local groups around the world.

http://blog.militaryatheists.org/2011/06/local-military-humanists-continue-to-thrive/

Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]
With no foxholes, atheists thrive.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear this
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#3]

they've got one big problem though ... hell is waiting for them.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:54:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Never heard of them or any of those meetings movements or whatever.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it just me, or does it kinda sound like the atheists are forming.......... a religion?...

The irony................

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't want to spend my free time going to a pizza party with Jesus, so what makes them think I want to spend it talking about how Jesus doesn't exist?

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Is it just me, or does it kinda sound like the atheists are forming.......... a religion?...

Sure.

If you take away the magic.

And the need for a supernatural Big Brother.

And the recycled stories.

And the voluminous hidebound dogma.

Sure, their identical.

Don't get me wrong though, this is one of my concerns:

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll keep them in my prayers.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:14:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't understand the one in Turkey-a Turkish co-worker's husband had to go fulfill his reservist obligation there a few years ago, and their military is so secular that NO relgious texts are allowed in their BCT units.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Makes OP a happy boy.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

pray for them
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pray for them

More of them than you might realize are ok with that.

I am.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Don't pray for me
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Is this part of the new gays in the military policy
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:23:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Why? You looking for a date?

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Why does it always come back to sex with you people. No i don't want to date you. I was trying to figure out  the connection between gays in the military and athiest coming out
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

pray for them

More of them than you might realize are ok with that.

I am.

cool
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm more inclined to believe in the damnation of somebody who judges others purely on their spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof) than by their accomplishments, such as going to war for your ass.
Quoted:

The inside of an armored vehicle is the new foxhole.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#20]
If you're a humanist, does that mean you're like racist against animals?
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 9:07:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

Sure, their identical.

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/0/01/GoGodGoXII13.jpg

I'm just saying that when a bunch of people with the same belief system gather together on a regular basis, its basically a religion.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If you're a humanist, does that mean you're like racist against animals?

Um, wut?

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Why does it always come back to sex with you people. No i don't want to date you. I was trying to figure out  the connection between gays in the military and athiest coming out

Why are you assuming there is one?

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Atheists and humanists in the military continue to come together throughout the world.  From Japan to Italy and throughout the US, leaders are stepping up.  Communities are forming as well, in some cases with the help of local chaplains.  The following is a series of reports on successes at the grass-roots level.  On-post groups, collaborations with military and civilians groups, and individual points of contact are all coming together as the military backbone of the international network of atheists and humanists.

MAAF also works with other organizations such as the International Humanist & Ethical Union, the UK Armed Forces Humanist Association, and associated members in locations such as Australia and Canada.  One international effort is to provide assistance to Nadav Heipert, an Israeli Defense Force soldier seeking his own freedoms within an overtly religious military.  Having a supportive outside organization gives him comfort that the IDF does not provide.  The IDF includes religious oaths and supports a religious Constitution.  His situation is legally different than US military personnel, but his need for a connection with like-minded individuals is not different.  The UK Armed  Forces Humanist Association is looking for US and other members in Qatar to grow a local group.  Athena Holter-Mehren in Turkey has started MAAF Incirlik.  Tom Essenpreis is a new point of contact looking for more members in Kandahar, Afghanistan.  These international efforts are new, but reflect the reach of our membership and a history of prior local groups around the world.

http://blog.militaryatheists.org/2011/06/local-military-humanists-continue-to-thrive/

Hmmm, I haven't heard of this here yet but I'm interested.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I don't want to spend my free time going to a pizza party with Jesus, so what makes them think I want to spend it talking about how Jesus doesn't exist?

This. I was in the service with atheists and never remember it being much of an issue one way or the other. Sounds like a pretty much manufactured issue to me.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

Sure, their identical.

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/0/01/GoGodGoXII13.jpg

I'm just saying that when a bunch of people with the same belief system gather together on a regular basis, its basically a religion.

Depends on how you define religion.

For myself, any group can have a dogma, but to have a religion you have to have dogma and a supernatural component.

I'd even go so far as to say that the strong atheists fall in the religious category as they assert an unprovable position.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I don't get. I think Star Trek Conventions are silly but I wouldn't get together with a bunch of other guys who think Star Trek conventions are silly.

People are hard wired for gregariousness. It's inevitable that people are going to want to get together in groups of similarly minded individuals.

Not believing in the supernatural is as good as believing in it when it comes to finding a reason to do so.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#31]
So they talk about the non-existence of God or any other super natural power? Sounds like it's a blast. If you don't believe in it cool, why schedule meetings to talk about not believing in it? Unless they have really good beer and BBQ.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do soldiers ever dig foxholes anymore?  

My battery does. And ranger graves. And sixty pits.

But, Artillery is special like that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:30:00 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Sometimes.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most bases in CONUS require either digging in specific locations or to get a digging permit prior to digging.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:01:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rarely

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm more inclined to believe in the damnation of somebody who judges others purely on their spiritual beliefs (or lack thereof) than by their accomplishments, such as going to war for your ass.

Quoted:

The inside of an armored vehicle is the new foxhole. That is easier to destroy

Added

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Atheist activists are 100% more annoying than any christian I've ever met.

Keep your religion (or lack of) to yourself.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Whatevs.

I claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of my own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:09:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? You looking for a date?

You brought it up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#41]
There are so many things that I don't believe in.

Should I form a club for each and every one of them?

This is asinine.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Something to keep in mind is that associating with people for religious reasons leads to more social activities than just reading the bible (or whatever) together.  A lot of "community" forms as a result of it.
(I know community is a dirty word, but I think you know what I mean)
So if atheists want to do a little community forming without the religion, more power to them.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Something to keep in mind is that associating with people for religious reasons leads to more social activities than just reading the bible (or whatever) together.  A lot of "community" forms as a result of it.
So if atheists want to do a little community forming without the religion, more power to them.

They can do whatever they want, but it just seems a little forced to base your community around what you DON'T believe.   Anyone want to join my Sasquatch Doubting club?
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can do whatever they want, but it just seems a little forced to base your community around what you DON'T believe.   Anyone want to join my Sasquatch Doubting club?

Sign me up. I'm an equal opportunity skeptic.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I don't get. I think Star Trek Conventions are silly but I wouldn't get together with a bunch of other guys who think Star Trek conventions are silly.

But star trek doesn't dominate people's lives the way religion does.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all.

I got nothing.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not at all.

I got nothing.

People have to fill their lives with meaning.

Some can draw it from inside themselves.

Others, not so much...

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

Sure, their identical.

Wow. Even the self-righteousness and indignation is down pat. You gonna knock on my door and hand me a pamphlet to save me from myself? You guys need to apply for your special tax status.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top