BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Is it just me, or does it kinda sound like the atheists are forming.......... a religion?...

The irony................

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Humanism is a religion.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Is it just me, or does it kinda sound like the atheists are forming.......... a religion?...

Humanism is a religion.  

With humans as their god.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Wow. Even the self-righteousness and indignation is down pat.

As if there wasn't enough of that in this thread from the religious folk.

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

they've got one big problem though ... hell is waiting for them.

That is only true if Hell exists.  And, honestly, there is as much emperical evidence that Hell exists as there is evidence unicorns exist.  The only evidence you have that Hell exists is a book written 2,000 years ago and a personal belief system.  Just because you (and a lot of other people) believe it to be true doesn't necessarily make it true.

In fact, they would likely tell you that you have one big problem...disappointment is waiting for you.  There is absolutely no way to prove which side is correct, though.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, you are obsessed.  It seems every time I visit GD, there is either a thread where you are giving atheism an intellectual blow job, or you are beside yourself with I-know-better-than-all-of-you indignation over some person's public expression of religious belief.

It smacks of insecurity and praise-seeking.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe its time for me to resubmit my application to be the Agnostic Chaplain.   My people might, or might not, need, or not need, spiritual, or secular, guidance, or the absence of guidance, too...or maybe not.  Either way is fine.

I'd be sporting a "?" on my ACUs where other chaplains wear a cross.  There may, or may not, be services or non-services, at unscheduled times.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2011 11:38:22 PM EDT
[#7]
People sitting around talking about something that doesn't exist. That’s new and inventive.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Maybe its time for me to resubmit my application to be the Agnostic Chaplain.   My people might, or might not, need, or not need, spiritual, or secular, guidance, or the absence of guidance, too...or maybe not.  Either way is fine.

I'd be sporting a "?" on my ACUs where other chaplains wear a cross.  There may, or may not, be services or non-services, at unscheduled times.  

Chaplain, I may, or may not, want to join your order.  If I do, I may, or may not, want to send you a tithe.  Please let me know when services will be held, or don't tell me.  How will dogtags be marked?  A ?, or nothing at all?
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chaplain, I may, or may not, want to join your order.  If I do, I may, or may not, want to send you a tithe.  Please let me know when services will be held, or don't tell me.  How will dogtags be marked?  A ?, or nothing at all?

Whatever, man.  Its up to you.  Or not.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:15:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe you.  I'm going to form a group of like-minded people who will join me in discussing how much we don't think you're serious.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
People sitting around talking about something that doesn't exist. That’s new and inventive.

Nope it's people sitting and talking about people who believe in something that they, think doesn't exist. Like us sitting here talking about people who talk about...fuck it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:54:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

they've got one big problem though ... hell is waiting for them.

Only in your opinion.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:17:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope it's people sitting and talking about people who believe in something that they, think doesn't exist. Like us sitting here talking about people who talk about...fuck it.

It’s fun huh?  I always go by what my Dad told me. Never talk about sex, politics and religion with people you don't know and expect those who you do know, not to talk to you anymore after talking about those things. I keep my beliefs to myself and really don’t care what others beliefs are. People that bring this up every now and then seem to be looking for approval from others in their beliefs or non beliefs. I don’t understand that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 3:22:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Let them thrive. Who gives a shit, as long as their activities don't interfere with other Soldiers or the mission?

Can't wait to see them in their furry outfits at the KAF Boardwalk, though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:23:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

OP, you are obsessed.  It seems every time I visit GD, there is either a thread where you are giving atheism an intellectual blow job, or you are beside yourself with I-know-better-than-all-of-you indignation over some person's public expression of religious belief.

It smacks of insecurity and praise-seeking.

You mean like people getting together to laud the characteristics of the AR platform?

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't believe you.  I'm going to form a group of like-minded people who will join me in discussing how much we don't think you're serious.

"Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to ensure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen." - Roger Zelazney

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I've never heard of this group either, and never heard the term humanist in my life.

That being said there is a LOT of rude religious people in this thread, why don't you practice your teachings. I wonder what god thinks of your behavior.

If chaplains could carry guns then I would love to be a chaplain even though I think the whole chaplain core is run incorrectly and it's absolutely pointless to make them officers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've never heard of this group either, and never heard the term humanist in my life.

That being said there is a LOT of rude religious people in this thread, why don't you practice your teachings. I wonder what god thinks of your behavior.

If chaplains could carry guns then I would love to be a chaplain even though I think the whole chaplain core is run incorrectly and it's absolutely pointless to make them officers.

This Chaplain seems more you speed...

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't want to spend my free time going to a pizza party with Jesus, so what makes them think I want to spend it talking about how Jesus doesn't exist?

That's what I don't get. I think Star Trek Conventions are silly but I wouldn't get together with a bunch of other guys who think Star Trek conventions are silly.

But star trek doesn't dominate people's lives the way religion does.

You obviously don't know many Trekkies...
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

If you take away the magic.

And the need for a supernatural Big Brother.

And the recycled stories.

And the voluminous hidebound dogma.

Sure, their identical.

Don't get me wrong though, this is one of my concerns:

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/0/01/GoGodGoXII13.jpg

LOL. I never noticed the portrait of "Mrs" Garrison in the background before.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure.

If you take away the magic.

And the need for a supernatural Big Brother.

And the recycled stories.

And the voluminous hidebound dogma.

Sure, their identical.

Don't get me wrong though, this is one of my concerns:

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/0/01/GoGodGoXII13.jpg

LOL. I never noticed the portrait of "Mrs" Garrison in the background before.

Yeah, that pic has a little something for everyone.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something to keep in mind is that associating with people for religious reasons leads to more social activities than just reading the bible (or whatever) together.  A lot of "community" forms as a result of it.
(I know community is a dirty word, but I think you know what I mean)
So if atheists want to do a little community forming without the religion, more power to them.

They can do whatever they want, but it just seems a little forced to base your community around what you DON'T believe.   Anyone want to join my Sasquatch Doubting club?

I think its because some people are very put off by religion, so when they form a community as 'atheists', they don't have to worry about it.
Or, it could be they are more of an atheism advocacy group.  I don't know, I didn't read the article.  Cause I'm very put off by articles, and I'm forming a community of like minded individuals.  Not to advocate against reading articles, but just so we don't have any uncomfortable moments with article reader evangelists.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:01:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't want to spend my free time going to a pizza party with Jesus, so what makes them think I want to spend it talking about how Jesus doesn't exist?

That's what I don't get. I think Star Trek Conventions are silly but I wouldn't get together with a bunch of other guys who think Star Trek conventions are silly.

But star trek doesn't dominate people's lives the way religion does.

You obviously don't know many Trekkies...

So true

BTW, I've been to one Star Trek convention and it was a blast.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Atheist activists are 100% more annoying than any christian I've ever met.

Keep your religion (or lack of) to yourself.

Link Posted: 6/20/2011 2:08:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something to keep in mind is that associating with people for religious reasons leads to more social activities than just reading the bible (or whatever) together.  A lot of "community" forms as a result of it.

(I know community is a dirty word, but I think you know what I mean)

So if atheists want to do a little community forming without the religion, more power to them.

They can do whatever they want, but it just seems a little forced to base your community around what you DON'T believe.   Anyone want to join my Sasquatch Doubting club?

I think its because some people are very put off by religion, so when they form a community as 'atheists', they don't have to worry about it.

Or, it could be they are more of an atheism advocacy group.  I don't know, I didn't read the article.  Cause I'm very put off by articles, and I'm forming a community of like minded individuals.  Not to advocate against reading articles, but just so we don't have any uncomfortable moments with article reader evangelists.

What are you some sort of anaperiodicalist?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top