Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2011 11:21:41 AM EDT
What's your opinion on this cordless driver/drill? It's 18v Li-on and priced right. I'm not a high speed space shuttle door gunner professional user, just a weekend project warrior

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#1]
How much is it?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

How much is it?

This.

If it is the same price, go Milwaukee. I just retired my Makita combo kit (got 6 years out of it) and replaced it with the 18V Milwaukee kit.

Been beating on it for a month now, not a hiccup. And I rely on my tools for a living.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much is it?

This.

If it is the same price, go Milwaukee. I just retired my Makita combo kit (got 6 years out of it) and replaced it with the 18V Milwaukee kit.

Been beating on it for a month now, not a hiccup. And I rely on my tools for a living.

$190 shipping free from amazon.com

comes with an extra li-on batt and hard case for all of it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought the kit a few months ago. It does not dissapoint. it's light and strong.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a similar bosch, its way better built and has a l.e.d. light ring built in.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get a similar bosch, its way better built and has a l.e.d. light ring built in.

I have the same drill. It's pretty good and the LI batteries provide a crapload of torque.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the makita. I was not impressed with the dewalt lithium ion batteries.  If you plan on running any lag bolts get the impact driver too. Your wrist will thank me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I too am partial to the Makita.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want longevity, go with Milwaukee or better.  I beat the hell out of a Milwaukee cordless hammer drill for a year and a half, and the only thing that went bad was the clutch brake.  And that was because I was using second gear to install screw clips about a hundred times or more a day on average.  FYI that is tool abuse, repeatedly slamming the drill to a stop from high speed.  It was issued to me at work and it was faster that way; they wanted fast and would give me a new drill if I broke that one.  Eventually got a Milwaukee cordless impact driver(the right tool for the job) and it was 100x better. Cordless drill is for drilling; impact driver is for driving screws, bolts, etc. I drilled many many holes in concrete and brick with that thing. Not a "true" hammer drill but it worked pretty damn well for what it was.

I have used Milwaukee and Dewalt extensively; if you want a light-duty tool that is cheap and reliably works for occasional use then buy the Dewalt.  If you think you may need it for heavier duty or more than occasional work then buy Milwaukee(or better).  

My .02, hope it helps.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#10]
+1, I just got the m18 combo kit and I love it. Free battery with any tool purchase at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a similar drill, but with nicad batteries.  5 years of household and garage usage have been good.  The nicads are getting tired these days.  Need to look intolithium ion upgrades.

All in all, a durable piece of equipment.  I'm not a space shuttle door driller, but I'd buy Dewalt again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used Milwaukee and Dewalt extensively; if you want a light-duty tool that is cheap and reliably works for occasional use then buy the Dewalt. If you think you may need it for heavier duty or more than occasional work then buy Milwaukee(or better).

My experience has been just the opposite, I have problems with Milwaukee but love Dewalt, at least on the drills. Dewalt also ranks the highest on ergonomics and the main reason I went with a new compact from Dewalt. I have a crap load of Dewalt drills now and they are all great and I use them hard. The nicad 18v are pretty much obsolete due to weight compared to the Li.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 of these one finally got what I considered too much play in the chuck after 10 years of almost daily use . You can buy that same drill for $100 on black Friday from Lowes and the depot , I bought an extra just for the spare batteries
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#14]
God to go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:59:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought the kit a few months ago. It does not dissapoint. it's light and strong.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top