Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 10:53:41 PM EDT
So for those of you that have owned, or in fact still ride the HD 883 Iron, what can you tell me about it. Is it a good machine? Any pluses or minuses?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't do it.

It's constipated and starving for air. The suspension is 3rd world.

If it's a gift, OK.

If you're absolutely hooked on HD, the one bike they make that is 'probably' roadworthy is the Ultra Classic. HD killed the Standard so you're stuck with buying UP.

If you're not looking to spend that kind of $$ or make that kind of commitment to riding... there's going to be a lot of great suggestions here shortly.

First HD? Buy a low miles, used Super Glide. Slap on some 'sport' model adjustable forks, a good set of rear shocks and go for a long ride.

If you aren't concerned with your image as a HD biker, get a V-Rod.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a 1200 from the start.  The 883 looks awesome but is severly lacking in power with that motor.  Sportsters are great fun though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The Iron package is just a cosmetic package, right?  Lots of flat black?  I can tell you from experience that the 883 is underpowered with an undersized tank for road trips.  They depreciate more and faster than any other Harley Davidson.  I hate them, but I do mostly highway riding.  If you're just looking for something to run around town or as a commuter bike, it might not be too bad.  I'd look for a clean used one though, they can be found a few years old with low miles for half the price of a new one.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The 1200 is a pig, I can't imagine how anemic the 883 is. But is does look cool, and after all, that is what HD is selling, an image.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy stock in a cat litter company. The dividends MIGHT cover your expenditures.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The 1200 is a pig, I can't imagine how anemic the 883 is. But is does look cool, and after all, that is what HD is selling, an image.

Yep, a Pegasus rider!

If you got the balls, Buell has the bike.

'99 M2 '98 S1W, '96 S2T. When the frames changed, the ergonomics didn't fit as well... had to go Ducati.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:25:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, a Pegasus rider!
If you got the balls, Buell has the bike.
'99 M2 '98 S1W, '96 S2T. When the frames changed, the ergonomics didn't fit as well... had to go Ducati.

'98 S1W, nice! I had a '97 S1, but I sold it because I liked my XB better. The '98 S1W will go down in history as the purist Buell. I like Ducs, but my '09 XB12Scg is my perfect bike.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Iron 883= Badass chick bike
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:32:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a 1200 from the start.  The 883 looks awesome but is severly lacking in power with that motor.  Sportsters are great fun though.

Yup...get a Nightster 1200.  Essentially the same bike with the 1200 in it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]
It all depends on what you want in a bike.  No experience with the Iron, but I have an 883 I just picked up recently as a first street bike.

If its your fist bike, I'd try to get something used, look around, you'll be able to find a good deal on a used 883.  It might not be the blacked out Iron, but you live in NY, so you'll have all winter to play with the bike, you could black it out during the off season if you really have to have it that way, and still save a bunch over getting a new one.  The Iron package is all looks, just about everything else is the same as any other 883 out there as far as I know.

As far as power, yeah, there is a noticeable difference between the 883 and the 1200, but it does fine if you're getting a bike just to cruise on.  It's a Harley, so if you're worried about racing jap bikes you should probably be looking at something else anyways.  I had so many people say the 883 sucks, its underpowered, its a girl bike.  I hear the same things about the 600cc sport bikes from guys that ride liter bikes...its all an ego trip as far as I'm concerned.  The new 600cc sport bikes are nuts, I couldn't imagine going up to a liter bike on one of those things.

Speaking from experience, I found my bike, a 10 year old 883 with barely 10k miles on it...picked it up for a steal.  I was going to save up to get a barely used Nightster next year, but I absolutely couldn't pass this bike up for the condition it was in and the price it was going for.  Looks damn close to new, cheap as hell, and it got me riding this year as opposed to next year.

As far as power goes, it's got plenty.  I'm 6 foot, 200 lbs and the 883 scoots around just fine to go out and cruise on, and with the forwards on it, its got a comfortable riding position for a guy my height too.  As I said, its no 1200, a friend of mine let me ride his Dyna a bunch before I decided to start saving to get my own bike, and his was definitely a little peppier, but the 883 is plenty.  It has lower gearing to make up for some of the short comings, it just doesn't have the top speed, and I don't plan on getting it up over 100mph anyways, so its no big deal to me.

Get what you like, who cares what other people think if you're actually getting it to ride rather than have an image.  Sure, my friends all ride 1200s or bigger bikes and poke fun at me for it, they don't really give a shit what I ride, but friends bust each others balls sometimes just for something to do.  I also get it from them b/c I ride a Harley with a full face helmet.  Again, I don't give a shit, I didn't get a bike to have an image, I got a bike to ride, and I knew I wanted a Harley.  

I got what I wanted, I'm happy, the bike is paid for and I'm out riding...who cares what anyones opinions are.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:09:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Iron 883= Badass chick bike

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I have rode enough HD's to come to the concluiosn that they pretty much SUCK. For performance anyways.

Underpowered, overweight, shitty brakes, shitty suspension.

BUT, yes BUT, I ride a bike for performance, not just to granny ride around town or bar hop.

I was picking up some shims for my Aprilia yesterday at an HD dealer in Oxford Al. Guy was trying to talk me into a 650 + pound V-Rod, that puts out just barely 100 hp and 83 ft lbs of tourque. WHAT? that is less than what I have now and weighs 200 lbs more....has 4" of ground clearence.

No thanks

Like I said, if you just want to putt putt around they are good machines and generally won't leave you walking to a phone
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I have owned many HD's , if you are a thin young man or a chic , you will like the 883 !
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:24:48 AM EDT
[#14]
no such thing as a chic bike unless you are Ray Savant.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#15]
just get a 1200, (I got one as my first HD)

same size bike (~), just moar cc's = faster

they are "small" compared to other bikes, better fit for the smaller peoples though
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#16]
If you're secure in your manhood (and not 350 lbs), an 883 Sportster is fine.  Nothing else sounds and feels like a Harley but a Harley.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:31:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Most people that are serious about being a rider would consider the Sportsters as a "starter bike" or one most girls ride.
Not saying it's not a cool looking bike but what everyone else says is right as far as power. There's a million options you can put on a 883 or a 1200 to bump up some more horses, but it will always be limited. I know from my experience many who have bought 883s are soon putting 1200 kits on them anyway. You'll soon hit their limit if a new rider, and even faster if you have experience. If you're like me you'll have it less than a year before moving up to something else with more power.There's still a '92 883 Hugger sitting in the garage that my wife rides. It's a hot looking bike but doesn't really live up to expectations when you hit the road on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you're secure in your manhood (and not 350 lbs), an 883 Sportster is fine.  Nothing else sounds and feels like a Harley but a Harley.

and thank fucking god
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Back in the 60-70's Harley had the Ironhead Sportster that had a magneto and was a kick starter.  The only reason I remember it was because of the stories of what a nasty bitch it was to start.  I used to think it was funny until my kick started my Harley one day and it wrenched my leg.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have owned many HD's , if you are a thin young man or a chic , you will like the 883 !

Well I am thin, I weigh in at 168 and I'm 5'9" in height, and this isn't my first bike, I'm a seasoned Jap bike rider.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:32:14 AM EDT
[#21]
The 883 is not a bad bike.  I preferred my S2 Buell over my 883, but if I had to have one back now I'd get the 883 in a heartbeat.  They're only good for short local trips.  Think of it as Harley's version of a Vespa.

I never, ever, had a bit of grief from serious riders about the 883.  I did have a lot of asshats who bought lots of t-shirts from dealers make comments.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I am thin, I weigh in at 168 and I'm 5'9" in height, and this isn't my first bike, I'm a seasoned Jap bike rider.

In that case, come to the dark side, we have cookies.

Look into the Euro Trash bikes.

KTM
Aprilia
Triumph ––––great used prices! I mean really good. and hard to beat a Triple
Husky (dirt/Motard)
Husaberg (dirt/Motard)
Ducati

Personally I will never buy a Jap bike again.

Right now I am up in arms over what my next one will be....thinking Ducati Multistrada, or a Triumph Tiger 800.

My next dual sport is gonna be a KTM 450 EXC or the ONLY Jap bike I will buy, a YZ450F plated!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The 883 is not a bad bike.  I preferred my S2 Buell over my 883, but if I had to have one back now I'd get the 883 in a heartbeat.  They're only good for short local trips.  Think of it as Harley's version of a Vespa.

I never, ever, had a bit of grief from serious riders about the 883. I did have a lot of asshats who bought lots of t-shirts from dealers make comments.  

Pretty much this. My first bike was a Buell Blast a while ago. I got metric assloads of shit from the biker fag crowd; yet the serious bikers all had words of encouragement or said something like 'just enjoy riding'.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:51:39 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then don't buy a sportster, my wife as an 883 hugger and Ive ridden it a good bit. The suspension is rough, it's powered "enough" but nothing special, I prefer my Big Twin and Softtail suspension any day. You want something with a comfortable ride and some power, you owe it to yourself to get a big twin if you are going to buy an HD. Ive got an FLSTC but I really like the 2009 Street Glides (I prefer cruisers not racers).

tea: My brother has a Victory Vegas thats a pretty good bike as well, you can score a deal on some of those these days.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never, ever, had a bit of grief from serious riders about the 883. I did have a lot of asshats who bought lots of t-shirts from dealers make comments.  

Pretty much this. My first bike was a Buell Blast a while ago. I got metric assloads of shit from the biker fag crowd; yet the serious bikers all had words of encouragement or said something like 'just enjoy riding'.
I got a lot of crap from some "bikers" over the Buell as well.  I was riding at a charity event of mostly HD riders.  Two of us were on Buells and we got the treatment.  I had an S2 and the other guy had an S1.  Didn't bother me or the other guy, a Hell's Angel who wasn't flying his colors that day.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a lot of crap from some "bikers" over the Buell as well.  I was riding at a charity event of mostly HD riders.  Two of us were on Buells and we got the treatment.  I had an S2 and the other guy had an S1.  Didn't bother me or the other guy, a Hell's Angel who wasn't flying his colors that day.

^this is another reason for me to NEVER buy an HD.

Fucktards think their bikes are the only true bikes and only American made one out there.
Little to their knowledge, more foreign parts on that POS then my Italian bike.

"when ya gonna get a REAL bike?"

fuck you  
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:01:03 AM EDT
[#27]
If you're true to yourself you don't care what other people say.  You do what you want to do.

In life there are always going to be people trying to put you down.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Cool Bike. I like my Night Train
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Would it be cheaper to put a bike together with a nightster frame than buy a complete harley?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#30]
So what some of you are say is,  with my small frame of 168lbs, I should not have a problem with the 2011 883 Iron? Most of my trips would be in the 125 mile radius of home, and that if I needed the power to pass slower moving vehicles, I would be able to do it with ease.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#32]
With motorcycles, you're never going to make everyone happy, so your best bet is to test ride a bunch of bikes, read a ton of motorcycle reviews, then buy what makes YOU happy!
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

So what some of you are say is, with my small frame of 168lbs, I should not have a problem with the 2011 883 Iron? Most of my trips would be in the 125 mile radius of home, and that if I needed the power to pass slower moving vehicles, I would be able to do it with ease.

Bought my first Harley 26 years ago. The advice I give is to not start with a Sportster. I did and was never really happy with it.

You will soon want to move to a full size Harley and then hesitate because of the price and the money you will lose on the Sporty.

The Sporty is small in the Harley world and the lack of size, the lack of power and the shit you have to put up with if you are a guy is not worth the time and effort.

The people who say they don't care what anyones else thinks are the same ones who take time to post about they don't care what everyone else thinks.

In the Harley culture, chicks on sportys don't get hassled much, guys do. It's just the way it is.

It's no different than posting a thread here bragging about your Mini 14.

Get the real deal the first time around and save yourself some headaches.

Also, there is a metric shitload of Harley hate on this website. From the machines themselves to the culture.

Realize that when you seek advice here.

Considering the opinion of non owning haters in your decision is like asking how to build up a stripped lower on a knitting forum.

Whatever you decide, have fun and be safe.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#34]
First HD? Buy a low miles, used Super Glide. Slap on some 'sport' model adjustable forks, a good set of rear shocks and go for a long ride.

This.
You can find stock Super Glides real cheap. Everyone I've ever known who bought a Sportster moved up to a bigger bike within a year.
Never should of sold my Super Glide or my FXR.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Back in the 60-70's Harley had the Ironhead Sportster that had a magneto and was a kick starter.  The only reason I remember it was because of the stories of what a nasty bitch it was to start.  I used to think it was funny until my kick started my Harley one day and it wrenched my leg.

Yep, that kick back was a bitch!

For 20 years I rode around on a '68 XLCH. Rebuilt it 3 times. Never worried about anyone starting it and riding away... their only chance was tossing it in a truck and hauling it off! Just had my right knee 'cleaned out'... man it sure feels good to walk without the kick 'gimp'.

I guess the 883 Iron would be OK, as a starter platform for a custom build up. Buy used, private sale.

One big complaint with HD is their proprietary FI crap. But, I guess they see the writings on the wall from the blood-sucking EPA vampire gestapo and have taken measures to keep their bikes on the road as the EPA rolls out restriction after restriction on emissions, fuel economy and noise.

Heck OP, if your mind is made up on a HD Sportster, look around for a clean, low miles Sportster Sport with dual discs up front, adjustable forks and the nice adjustable Showa shocks on the rear end. At least your suspension and braking concerns will be alleviated. After that, clearing out the exhaust and intake are a cake walk.

But I'll stand with all the rest on the big twin comments. Personally, I've never had a BT. I prefer the Sportsters for nimble handling and acceleration. IF, I were to dump more money into HD, it's going to be a 'touring' bike. But I'll always have a Sportster in the garage...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:19:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm 6' 3" and 220. I have a '08 1200 XLC. My dad also gave me his '91 FXSTC. As far as being cool and feeling manly I like the Softail. My sportster is more comfortable, faster, and handles better. It's the one I ride the most. I would probably opt for a 1200 over an 883 though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So what some of you are say is,  with my small frame of 168lbs, I should not have a problem with the 2011 883 Iron? Most of my trips would be in the 125 mile radius of home, and that if I needed the power to pass slower moving vehicles, I would be able to do it with ease.

125 miles in a day will be a stretch for a Sportster.  Been there, done that, had to stop for gas to make it home.  Slow is a relative term when talking about an 883.  It'll smoke most cages on the road today, or at least any cage you have a burning need to pass.  Spend two hours solid in the saddle of a Sportster and you'll be walking like Festus Haggen.  

They are bikes you own more for the fun of having a Sportster without emptying every pocket.  If you want to live the whole biker lifestyle thing and hang out at dealerships and leather bars you need a Big Twin or a 1200.  Unless you're buying into the whole Harley lifestyle the 883 will never be a concern.  Buy used no matter what you decide.  No way would I ever lay money down for a new 883 at a dealership.  Let some other sucker do that for you.

My dream Sportster looks alot like this...

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a 2003 XL1200S (Sportster Sport). I would def skip the 883 and get the 1200. There isn't much in the big-twin Harley line that can keep up with the Sportster line. The biggest complaint about Sportsters comes from their suspension, but my bike had a fully adjustable suspension stock so it's not a big deal for me. Most change the shocks out though.

I really don't get why people think the Sportster is a chick's bike. Most ladies I have met riding don't like the Sportster and prefer the softtails or dynas. The older guys like to ride the big geezer glides with windshields, handshields, foot boards, and fancy radios and then call the Sportster a girls bike? Sportsters have higher seats, lower weights, more lean angle, and a harsher ride than many Big Twins. Yup, they're "girls bikes" all right...and they continue to be the best sellers for H-D.

I would definitely recommend you get the Sportster but get the 1200 Nightster...or at least test ride an 883 and a 1200.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I really don't get why people think the Sportster is a chick's bike.

They don't call it the "Skirtster" for nothing. The wisecracks and heckling is widespread.

I don't personally ridicule anyone for riding a Sporty. It would be pretty hypocritical seeing as I owned one for 5 years.

But a lot of people do. Even if someone doesn't care, it gets old and never stops.

The OP mentioned 125 mile radius trips. I wouldn't get a Sporty for that. Barhopper would be OK.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm 6' 3" and 220. I have a '08 1200 XLC. My dad also gave me his '91 FXSTC. As far as being cool and feeling manly I like the Softail. My sportster is more comfortable, faster, and handles better. It's the one I ride the most. I would probably opt for a 1200 over an 883 though.

I have a rubber mount FXR, the performance big twin.  I'm big and tall and it's a good fit.  You'd probably like it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#41]
you nay sayers are a bunch of RETARDS

an Iron 883 converted to a 1200cc hauls more ass than a 1200 nighster and costs LESS even after the conversion cost.  You will be paying insurance for a 883cc but will have the power of a 1200.  

I vote IRON 883

EDIT: 883 has the same gear ratios and everything as a 1200... only difference is the 883 has an extra tooth in the socket
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#42]
These threads always bring out the people ...

Get the 883.  Put a better seat and a big tank on it.  Tune it.  Enjoy it.  At some point, you may want something different.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fucktards think their bikes are the only true bikes and only American made one out there.

fuck you  

Irony. It seems like more non-HD guys are "concerned" about his choice than anyone else.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

125 miles in a day will be a stretch for a Sportster.  Been there, done that, had to stop for gas to make it home.  Slow is a relative term when talking about an 883.  It'll smoke most cages on the road today, or at least any cage you have a burning need to pass.  Spend two hours solid in the saddle of a Sportster and you'll be walking like Festus Haggen.  

I have to agree, I put 370 miles on my 1200c sportster last sunday.  My knees where killing me, my ass may or may not have been attached at the end of the ride.  Sporty's stink for anything more than dally riding of less than 30 miles.  After than they just don't ride nice.  I'm looking at either getting a softtail or road glide for road tripping and keep the sportster for daily rider.  Also look at victory or Triumph both are nice.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm no expert, hell I just started riding.

For what its worth, when I was trying out bikes to get my first, I found the 883 to be pretty anemic.

I didn't mind how it rode, but I'm a big guy and the thing barely felt like it could get out of its own way.

(I wasn't looking for balls out power either, I ended up with a 750cc vulcan)
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#46]
My first street bike was a brand new Nightster (1200). I got rid of it 6 months later and bought a Night Train.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

fuck you  

FUCKTARD = guy who thinks he is smarter than everyone else but is actually the dumbest asshole in the room

It is no secret, and never has been, that there are foreign components on factory Harley machines......ever.  Especially to those who ride and buy these machines (not you).  Thanks for your contribution to the motorcycle knowledge database.

You criticize people for their judgmental behavior and within a few words do the same thing.  I've never seen anyone legitimately harassed for what they ride.  I think the stories are greatly exaggerated for internet expose'.  If one asshole gives you shit and it affects your thought process perhaps you are not sturdy enough to leave the basement.  I have noticed that when anyone asks a Harley question on Arfcom the hate spews forth.

Funny thing is I don't even like HD as a company or the culture.  Ride safe on your Italian moped.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I got a lot of crap from some "bikers" over the Buell as well. I was riding at a charity event of mostly HD riders. Two of us were on Buells and we got the treatment. I had an S2 and the other guy had an S1. Didn't bother me or the other guy, a Hell's Angel who wasn't flying his colors that day.

Alot of Hells Angels in Europe ride Buells I guess they're not real "bikers" according to the people you ran into.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Ride what you want but definitely demo a few before you decide.  It's better to demo a bunch of different bikes rather than jump into an expensive bike just to find out 6 months down the road you want more.

I did a ton looming and kicking tires before I decided on my Victory.  Couldn't be happier and could care less what anyone else thinks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top