Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2002 6:45:37 AM EDT
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/685483/posts?page=10[/url]
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#1]
While there are many good points there, there are also some things missed.  Comparing cars to guns cuts both ways.

How about a "gas tax" from the fed, state and local govt on your ammo?

How about requiring everyone that wants to shoot to go to a govt agency and get a permit, and having to pay fees, get specific training, and testing by a govt agency befroe you can shoot?

How about an expiration date on you "right" to shoot so you have to go through the above again?

How about the govt requiring insurance to shoot your gun?  Guess how high that premium would be?

How about the govt requiring yearly inspections and tests on all your guns you shoot, with the attendant fees?

How about registering every gun you use with the govt?

How about paying that registration every year?

How about required safety devices (along the lines of seat belt, airbags, etc) like smart gun tech, or gunlocks, etc?

How about paying yearly personal property tax on your guns (like several states do with cars and boats)?

I could go on forever.  The list is endless because the auto industry IS highly regulated.  The reason for this is that's where the money is.  Many people buy cars, so there's more money to be grabbed from cars than guns.  Look at the above list.  See how many I listed invovle fees or taxes?  And I didn't even approach the commercial vehicle level.  There's taxes out the ying-yang on car manufacturing, dealing, and owning.  It's just that the govt and big business have hidden the cost so well that the sheeple don't notice it.  

While it's a decent tatic to get people to think as to why guns aren't bad, it isn't exactly a road I want to drive down with my guns.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny, I don't seem to recall the amendment to the bill of rights reaffiriming the right to "keep, and bear automobiles"..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Autos are more deadly than guns.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Autos are more deadly than guns.
View Quote

Autos kill without ever forming intent.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
When an anti presents the 'register guns like cars' or 'treat guns the same as cars' BS to me, I just say okay and espouse the following:

1.  I can buy as many cars of any type as long as I can afford to do so, so therefore the same should apply to guns.

2.  My driver's license is good throughout the US, Mexico, and Canada and so should my carry license.

3.  There is no waiting period or background check on buying a car, nor should there be on a gun under their proposal.

Usually after hearing that, they say 'uhh, sputter, that's not what I mean.'.  I say 'What exactly do you mean?'.  They say 'cough, sputter, ahem, ......'.  In other words, they just want to have gun registration like auto registration without the other things that go along with it, ie the restrictive without the permissive, the negative without the positive.
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When an anti presents the 'register guns like cars' or 'treat guns the same as cars' BS to me, I just say okay and espouse the following:

1.  I can buy as many cars of any type as long as I can afford to do so, so therefore the same should apply to guns.
View Quote

I buy as many guns as I can afford.  Far more guns than cars.  In fact some of my guns cost more than my cars.  The only limit I've ever ran into is a money one.  Even her in "one handgun a month" VA, you can get around that easy enough.  

2.  My driver's license is good throughout the US, Mexico, and Canada and so should my carry license.
View Quote

Yes it certainly should, but don't compare your carry license to a "shooting license" (Driver's License).  I believe there should be a national CCW, but I don't believe that the rights of just shooting should be licensed.  That's what linking a driver's license to shooting will do.  

A CCW would be more akin to a CDL, and that's a joke for rights and freedom there.

3.  There is no waiting period or background check on buying a car, nor should there be on a gun under their proposal.
View Quote

You wouldn't need a background check on guns if you had to get it inspected every year and get it re-registered every year.  Along with getting your "shooting license" renewed every three or whatever years.  

Usually after hearing that, they say 'uhh, sputter, that's not what I mean.'.  I say 'What exactly do you mean?'.  They say 'cough, sputter, ahem, ......'.  In other words, they just want to have gun registration like auto registration without the other things that go along with it, ie the restrictive without the permissive, the negative without the positive.
View Quote

Like I said, it's a good tactic.  But just don't confuse the prevelance of cars with some form of liberty.  

I don't like all the restrictions on cars, and there isn't a specific ammendment in the Constitution about them.  It's just that if you start to actually believe that cars and guns should be treated the same, it's time to look at the reality of the two.  I could have made the first list of "How about..." about three times longer off the top of my head.

Ross
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top