Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2011 11:13:48 AM EDT
I have to make a small survey for my class to fill out tomorrow as part of my final paper of the semester and to get input for the paper we are supposed to run a survey. My paper is going to be on gun control so what I'm going to try to do is make my survey questions so biased while still giving the person a choice that they will always chose less gun control.
Here is one question I am for sure putting on there:
Are you in favor of more gun laws even though criminals do not follow laws?
You can kind of see I'm going to try to influence their answers in every question; I'm really not even sure if I'm allowed to phrase my questions that way but the teacher didn't say I couldn't.
So give me some ideas on questions I can put on here which will help our cause I want to see what GD would do in my situation
****Update 1, april 24th: I'm running the survey on 10 random people tomorrow in class.****
Here is an example of the survey so far, I will update tomorrow with the answers from the kids who took the survey.
I had to "dumb it down" a bit so the average herp derp can understand it.
I ran it by the teacher she said its fine, she just made me write a neutral explanation and make the narrower questions open ended with the "other" option.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-5/1/2011––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Appendix

Questions/Answers                                                              
                #                       %

1. Are you
a male or a female?                                  

A. Male                                                                           6                  60%    

B. Female                                                      
                  4                   40%

2. How old are you?

A. 16-20                                                        
                 3                   30%

B. 21-30                                                                          3                    30%

C. 31-40                                                                          
2                    20%

D. 41-50                                                                    
      1                    10%

E. 50+                                                                              
1                   10%

3 .Do you think stricter gun laws
will make criminals follow the law, or will it make it harder for law abiding
citizens to defend themselves?

A. Criminals will
follow the stricter laws.                      
1                    10%

B. Gun laws only make it harder
for law abiding             9                    90%

citizens to protect themselves.

C. Other, please
explain                                                  
0                     0%

4. Should civilian ownership of
guns be outlawed?

A. Yes                                                                            
0                     0%

B. No                                                                              
10                 100%

5. Are gun laws undermining the
Bill of Rights?

A. Yes                                                                            
5                   50%

B. No                                                                              
5                     50%

6. Do criminals and terrorists
target "gun free zones” because they know no one will be able to defend
themselves there?

A. Yes                                                                              6                    60%

B. No                                                                              
4                     40%

7. Would limiting magazine capacity
(a device that carries the bullets for a gun) to 10 rounds help save lives?

A. Yes                                                                              
1                   10%

B. No                                                                            
  9                  90%

8. It takes 5-20 minutes for police
to respond to call. If someone is breaking into your house would you defend
yourself with a gun until police got there?

A. Yes                                                          
                   9                  90%

B. No                                                                                
1                   10%

C. Other, please
explain                                                    
0                    0%

If you have a gun, what do you primarily use it for?

A. Protection                                                                    
4                   40%                            

B. Hunting                                                                        1                   10%

C. Recreation                                                                    
1                   10%

D. Collecting                                                                     0                     0%

E. Don’t own a gun                                                          
4                   40%

10. In general, do you think gun control laws should be
made stricter, less strict, or kept as they are now?

A. Stricter                                                                          
3                  30%

B. Less
Strict                                                                      
3                  30%

C. Kept the same
as they are now                                       4                  40%

11. Should students be able to
carry handguns on campus to protect themselves from incidents like the Virginia
Tech Shooting?

A. Yes                                                                                  5              50%

B. No                                                                                  
5              50%

12. Right now military men and women are not allowed to
carry firearms on a military base to protect them selves. Do you think they
should be able to carry a firearm for self protection while on base?

A. Yes                                                                                                        
8              80%

B. No                                                                                                          
2               20%

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:15:10 AM EDT
[#1]
would you rather be raped or defend yourself?
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

would you rather be raped or defend yourself?

haha I fucking love GD.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Judged by twelve or carried by six?
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Would you rather die cowering in a corner and begging for your life or be able to fight back and have a better chance at survival.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I would word it "Do you think stricter gun laws will make criminals follow the law, or will it make harder for law abiding people to defend themselves?"
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
If I were the teacher, I'd fail you.

You say you're not sure if you're allowed to do that, but yet you know you're toeing the line. You already know the answer.

Wouldn't it be simpler to ask "Do you think gun control laws have an impact on crime?"

If the majority of folks answer in the affirmative, counter their position in your paper with evidence and draw off of that.

It's a survey; it's not propaganda. Trying to devise empirical information from biased questions, or using the answers to biased questions out of context is the tactic of a liberal and/or politician.

You can make your point effectively without the charades.

Why bring a fight onto yourself?

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I would word it "Do you think stricter gun laws will make criminals follow the law, or will it make harder for law abiding people to defend themselves?"

That is much better, thanks.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:26:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is much better, thanks.

i dont know i liked mine better. do both
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If I were the teacher, I'd fail you.
You say you're not sure if you're allowed to do that, but yet you know you're toeing the line. You already know the answer.

Wouldn't it be simpler to ask "Do you think gun control laws have an impact on crime?"

If the majority of folks answer in the affirmative, counter their position in your paper with evidence and draw off of that.

It's a survey; it's not propaganda. Trying to devise empirical information from biased questions, or using the answers to biased questions out of context is the tactic of a liberal and/or politician.

You can make your point effectively without the charades.

Why bring a fight onto yourself?

I will keep that in mind, I will try to keep my survey half and half with it being biased. And the one that are biased I need to keep it stealthy.

Why chance my grade with this you ask? I have a really good grade and I take every chance I can to influence people over to our side. I have the opportunity to write something that a random group of people have to read I should take this opportunity and use it to my advantage.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be as non partisan as possible. Getting results from loaded questions won't mean jack and you'll look unprofessional.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:30:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Consider using a scale, they can allow for more insight. You can always collapse them in to yes or no later.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd be as non partisan as possible. Getting results from loaded questions won't mean jack and you'll look unprofessional.

this.  your current choices are ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This is just a rough draft, I will get full points for anything I turn in. If the teacher doesn't like it she will let me know and I will change it to her format of choice.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Bad idea since your teacher is an anti(most are)
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Bad idea since your teacher is an anti(most are)

It doesn't matter if she is anti or not. If I do good on my final paper and she gives me a bad grade I will take it above her and get ti changed to a good grade.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Predicting 75%+ will vote anti.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Predicting 75%+ will vote anti.

If I remember I will let you guys know with an update. I'm almost done with the survey I'll post my rough draft when I'm done.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's what I threw together for my rough draft:
Survey
on Gun Control

1 .Do you think stricter gun laws
will make criminals follow the law, or will it make it harder for law abiding
citizens to defend themselves?

A. Criminals will follow the stricter
laws.

B. Gun laws only make it harder for
law abiding citizen to protect themselves.

2. Should civilian ownership of
guns be outlawed?

A. Yes

B. No

3. Are gun laws undermining the
Bill of Rights?

A. Yes

B. No

4. Do criminals and terrorists
target "gun free zones” because they know no one will be able to defend
themselves there?

A. Yes

B. No

5. Would limiting magazine capacity
to 10 rounds help save lives?

A. No

B. Yes.

6. Would outlawing guns reduce
crime?

A. Yes

B. No

7. It takes 5-20 minutes for police
to respond to call. If someone is breaking into your house would you defend
yourself with a gun until police got there?

1. Yes

2. No

8. 2. If you have a gun, do you use
it for protection, hunting or recreation? (Circle all that apply)

A. Protection

B. Hunting

C. Recreation

9. In general, do you think gun
control laws should be made more strict, less strict, or kept as they are now?

A. More Strict

B. Less Strict

C. Kept the same as they are now.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:08:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I would fail you too, that is very clearly biased writing, whether for the good of our cause or not, it is a terrible position for the assignment. If you are writing a research paper, do it on the basis that the people have skewed views. Write a non-biased survey, get your pro-gun control answers, and then write about how the media has skewed the views of the general population, and cite specific examples that contradict your survey answers (people bringing guns into "gun free zones", criminals acquiring firearms, etc.)

That would be your best way to get your point across without failing the paper for being biased.

Or you could only survey Arfcom...

Good luck man.

ETA: Just read your rough draft, reminds me of the mitch headburg joke.

"Have you ever tried sugar or PCP?
A. Yes
B. No
"
Make your writing the paper persuasive, not your survey biased. If your survey is this biased, then it holds no weight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I just added this little gem

10. Should students be able to
carry their guns on campus to protect themselves from incidents like the
Columbine Shooting or the Virginia Tech Shooting?

A. Yes

B. No

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Enjoy your F with loaded questions.

Why would you WANT to screw ANY results one way or another? Holy fucking moral compass, batman!

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#22]
You need to avoid bias in your questions. Might want to read up on survey writing. What level is this for?
Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

10. Should students be able tocarry their guns on campus to protect themselves from incidents like theColumbine Shooting or the Virginia Tech Shooting?

A. Yes

B. No

Remove Columbine.  They are high school students and kinda negate where you're headed.  Stay with colleges.

Link Posted: 4/19/2011 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

10. Should students be able tocarry their guns on campus to protect themselves from incidents like theColumbine Shooting or the Virginia Tech Shooting?

A. Yes

B. No

Remove Columbine.  They are high school students and kinda negate where you're headed.  Stay with colleges.

Thanks for the input! I removed it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 7:34:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, please pick a different topic that you're not so biased towards. The key to writing is quality research paper isn't:

Step 1. Pick a topic you're almost blindingly biased towards

Step 2. Reach conclusion, work backwards to figure out supporting details.

Step 3. Create biased survey.

Step 4. Selectively cut data and responses to support Step 2.

Step 5. Complain that 'libtard' teacher failed me for my pro gun stance.
I love seeing pro gun people, but I just don't think this will work well for your paper. Nevertheless, good luck and I hope the finished product is awesome.

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

OP, please pick a different topic that you're not so biased towards. The key to writing is quality research paper isn't:

Step 1. Pick a topic you're almost blindingly biased towards

Step 2. Reach conclusion, work backwards to figure out supporting details.

Step 3. Create biased survey.

Step 4. Selectively cut data and responses to support Step 2.

Step 5. Complain that 'libtard' teacher failed me for my pro gun stance.

I love seeing pro gun people, but I just don't think this will work well for your paper. Nevertheless, good luck and I hope the finished product is awesome.

I am supposed to pick a topic I have sided on. Its an argumentative.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Results of survey are in the OP

edit: sorry the results look a little screwy, it wouldn't keep my columns that I had it organized in. But the results are next to the answers.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#29]
LOL, these are the kind of surveys arfcom freaks out about.

"OMG WHY YOU NEED TO KNOW DIS?"

60% of people you surveyed admit to owning firearms. That's better than I would expect in a college setting.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#30]
What school?

Had I produced a survey like that for stats, I would have been destroyed by the professor.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, at least one of them really hates guns.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I would point out that loading the questions in such a manner is exactly what anti-gunners do, and how surveys are manipulated.  I would also point out the inconsistencies of poll takers.  I.E. 90% would defend themselves at home until the police showed up, but only 50% think that students at the Collage deserve the same ability.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

What school?
Had I produced a survey like that for stats, I would have been destroyed by the professor.

only half of the survey results are from the school. I had to get a more diverse age group so I sent the other half of the surveys with my wife to her work place which is a nursing home. She surveyed 4 CNA's and 1 resident.
Its a community college in AZ that's why the results are so pro-gun I think. A lot of people in Arizona carry.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I would point out that loading the questions in such a manner is exactly what anti-gunners do, and how surveys are manipulated.  I would also point out the inconsistencies of poll takers.  I.E. 90% would defend themselves at home until the police showed up, but only 50% think that students at the Collage deserve the same ability.

Isn't that hilarious. That was the first thing I noticed when I tallied up the results. People are retarded.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

LOL, these are the kind of surveys arfcom freaks out about.

"OMG WHY YOU NEED TO KNOW DIS?"

60% of people you surveyed admit to owning firearms. That's better than I would expect in a college setting.

Yeah and I bet 0% of them carry it on a daily basis though. I only surveyed 10 people so some of them had to be fudds. Especially if 6 owned gun but I didn't get 6 people that were completly pro-gun. They also could have been lying about owning a gun. The survey was anonymous why not lie?

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I also think a lot of people didn't understand the Bill of Rights question. Because 50% said gun laws were undermining the Bill of Rights but only 30% said that gun laws should be less strict. I tried to put it in the plainest English as possible but some people are really stupid.

I also live in a very pro gun city for example yesterday I got into a 10 minute conversation about handguns with a random cashier at fry's because I was open carrying. We have legal OC and CC here with no permits what so ever. And it is really common to see people open carrying. We still have our fare share of liberal retards here but I think people here generally know that guns don't spontaneously go off and kill people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top