Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2011 3:47:00 AM EDT
and i can deal with the prank phone call or two, but lately the thing is whomever is doing it is aparently able to put in another phone number that my caller ID picks up.  one night about 2am i get a phone call and my caller ID indicates that its my own cell phone number...WTF.....    they hang up when i answer.

so is it possible to somehow program their outgoing call so my caller ID indicates its coming from another number??????  

i guess i'm gonna have to change my my phone number...
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:48:11 AM EDT
[#1]
stalker, and she aint hawt
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#2]
There are a few smartphone apps that will let you send out whatever caller ID number you want. If it was showing up as your cell phone, it tells me that whoever was doing it knows you. Or, someone has linked your cell phone with your home phone.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
We are having the same issue with some of the cell phones here at work.  One of our field guys will get a call and the caller id will show the number from a different field guy.  This happens all hours of the day.

Both the androids and iphones have applications and services that allow you to spoof the caller id info so that you can place calls to folks and make it look like someone else is calling them.  I believe this service uses voip over the net so the call does not even go through their cell provider.

We apparently have a disgruntled current or former employee.  Someone is obviously screwing with you as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
That's why you have voice mail.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought they made spoofing illegal?

ETA unless you are on call for some reason, why not just turn your phone off at night?

Also call your carrier. They might be able to help.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:44:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There are a few smartphone apps that will let you send out whatever caller ID number you want. If it was showing up as your cell phone, it tells me that whoever was doing it knows you. Or, someone has linked your cell phone with your home phone.

This.  There are also apps out there that can do the same thing with a text message.  We did it to a buddy (single buddy) and called/text from every girl he's ever even thought about naked...it went on for weeks before we told him.  He thought he had suddenly turned into a ladies man.

I'd be willing to bet someone is getting a good laugh at your expense right about now
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:01:47 AM EDT
[#8]
yes indeed....thanks.  thought i was going nuts there for a bit.  

and yes, somebody (probably soon to be ex) is probably the guilty party.....some people just dont ever grow up i suppose....

the last call/voice message i got was somewhat threatening and it was a dudes voice so i assume she's got someone making the calls for her.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#9]
kill him, throw him in the river.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top