Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2011 12:03:00 PM EDT
The Germans do not take this stuff lightly.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/02/28/tourist-arrested-for-giving-nazi-salute-outside-german-parliamen/?ncid=txtlnkustrav00000003

A Canadian tourist has been arrested in Berlin after giving a Nazi salute in front of Germany's parliament building, the Reichstag, on Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Good
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Police state is still strong i see.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Good

+1.  No one needs totalitarianism whether it is German, Soviet or from Bush or Zero.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

+1.  No one needs totalitarianism whether it is German, Soviet or from Bush or Zero.

irony?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Arresting that person for expressing themselves is totalitarian.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#6]
At least is was a Canadian....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Internet Poster Mocked For Capitalizing Every Word in Title
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]

I agree that people should have freedom of expression.

I also believe that anyone planning to visit Austria or Germany and doesn't know through research that doing stuff like this is illegal is at best ignorant, and at worst, a colossal moron.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Play stupid games.....

Of course it's also a little absurd to go to jail for clicking your heels, holding one hand up and shouting "Ja wohl, mein Fuhre!".  But the Germans really do take a dim view of that shit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I also believe that anyone planning to visit Austria or Germany and doesn't know through research that doing stuff like this is illegal is at best ignorant, and at worst, a colossal moron.

Ding Ding Ding.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:17:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Uhhhh, shouldn't foreigners be given a pass on this, especially US, Canadian, French, or UK? After all, we're kind of the reason for those laws in the 1st place.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
They take that shit REAL seriously over there.  Last time I was there, a gentleman I was talking to in a bar actually apologized for WWII.  It's a part of their history they don't want repeated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder what the sentence for such a crime is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I agree completely.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

yep for sure it is very very illegal.
You can not even utter the word H.. H... or have any sort of patches or anything.

People have to understand this is a very touchy subject in Germany and it is a law that like every law has to be followed.

There are laws in the US I do not agree with but I have to follow them.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Internet Poster Mocked For Capitalizing Every Word in Title

Internet poster has about 8 years more time on this board than some Noobs, yes that is Capitalized.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They take that shit REAL seriously over there.  Last time I was there, a gentleman I was talking to in a bar actually apologized for WWII.  It's a part of their history they don't want repeated.

Unless he shot at people in WWII, wtf does he have to apologize for?

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Re-Education w/ a healthy segment of Diverse German citizens:

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#19]
I heard you cant have a picture of anything related to the Nazis, I think I remember reading about some dude that got arrested for taking a picture of a wax figure of Hitler in a German museum.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHCaiDYYGNU

Well that's strange,  I seem to like rap when it's done in German.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#21]
IIRC, It's also illegal to have a visual representation of a swastika unless it's part of a historical display.
They don't fuck around over there.  There is no "hey, let's do this to be funny," there is simply jail time.  I'd imagine that having your country ground into the dirt twice in one century would be enough to warrant such things.

ETA:  Reason I know about the swastika thing––Anyone notice how in BF1942 or Battlefield 2 (or on many of the "realism mods" for either), there's no swastikas on German stuff represented in-game?  It's because it could get the end-users arrested, depending on if they reside in certain european countries.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHCaiDYYGNU

Well that's strange,  I seem to like rap when it's done in German.  

That's racist!

Er...wait? LOL.

I'd call it: mildly tolerable

YMMV
Speed

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:27:54 PM EDT
[#23]
You don't spit gum out on the sidewalk in Singapore.
You don't yell the N word in South Philadelphia.
You don't wear orange in Dublin on St. Patrick's Day.
You don't root for Dallas in New York City.
You don't wear a hat at the Alamo.
And you don't even think about mentioning the Nazis in Germany.

It's really not that hard.  Just follow the local rules and customs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank god it wasn't an American.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Everyplace isn't the US. Their country, their laws...Good tourists obey them. Germans are a bit sensitive about the movement that got their country reduced to kibble and split down the middle for 45 odd years.

Don't act like a moron when you are a guest in someone else's country.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Play stupid games.....

Of course it's also a little absurd to go to jail for clicking your heels, holding one hand up and shouting "Ja wohl, mein Fuhre!".  But the Germans really do take a dim view of that shit.

This.  Of all the people I know that have told me about their visits to germany, the one thing no one has ever said is "Hey, you know who has a real sense of humor?  German police."
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Play stupid games.....

This.  Of all the people I know that have told me about their visits to germany, the one thing no one has ever said is "Hey, you know who has a real sense of humor?  Germans."

fixed it

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Garbage in any language!!!!  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#30]
In other news, REAL German NEONAZIs hold rallys and stomp around the country unchecked while the Polizei are busy arresting tourists.  It's a growing problem that many are turning a blind eye to.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There are people who root for Dallas?  Anywhere?  Yikes!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not really.  german Police are pretty good.  Going to another country and making a crass and insensitive gesture of this nature is going to land you in trouble.

If I went and stood outside the Capitol with an inciteful placard, I;d probably be arrested as well.

Hell, If I come over to the US and take a picture of the Saudi Embassy I'll get arrested.

They guy was a dickhead. Should have shown some respect.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#33]
They are ashamed of that part of their history.

IIRC, the only reason they allowed Inglorious Basterds to play there (because it showed Swastikas) was because it was considered a work of art, and therefore deemed acceptable.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

While I agree, the Germans have a different, and valid, view of the topic.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:45:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are people who root for Dallas?  Anywhere?  Yikes!

They're everywhere and 99% of them are posers.  

ETA:  That said, any woman wearing a pink Romo jersey can be coaxed into giving you fellatio by buying her three Coors Lights.  So, there's that, if that's your game.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really.  german Police are pretty good.  Going to another country and making a crass and insensitive gesture of this nature is going to land you in trouble.

If I went and stood outside the Capitol with an inciteful placard, I;d probably be arrested as well.

Hell, If I come over to the US and take a picture of the Saudi Embassy I'll get arrested.

They guy was a dickhead. Should have shown some respect.

The US capitol?  No, you wouldn't.  There was a guy who stood in Times Square recently and publicly tore up a Koran while surrounded by an angry mob and was not arrested for it.  The KKK has sued and won in court over being able to demonstrate in Skokie, Illinois.  

The freedom of speech is still going pretty strong here.  The guy may have been crass and insensitive, but I'd say his message was fairly accurate considering they arrested him for it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The German's have laws against such behavior IIRC.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good

irony?
Yep.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/02/28/tourist-arrested-for-giving-nazi-salute-outside-german-parliamen/?ncid=txtlnkustrav00000003

A Canadian tourist has been arrested in Berlin after giving a Nazi salute in front of Germany's parliament building, the Reichstag, on Saturday.

I see what you did there.  BUNDESTAG please!  

After the reunification of Germany on October 3, 1990, the building underwent reconstruction led by internationally renowned architect Norman Foster. After its completion in 1999, it became the meeting place of the modern German parliament, the Bundestag.

While I value and cherish our right to free speech in America, and I believe it to be a fundamental human right, I fully understand and support Germany's very limited prohibition on such speech - given their past.

Wife is German.  She can proudly point to her Polish last name and her Polish grandfather's combat record as an anti-Nazi partisan fighter who joined up with our U.S.G.I.'s fighting in Germany after D-Day.  Yes, we DO take these things very very seriously indeed.  

Hope that jack-hole tourist gets the book thrown at him.

BTW - I made the mistake of calling their current parliament "reichstag" only once when we were 1st dating.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I've often wondered what would happen if someone were to go to a fairly large German beer hall find themselves an out of the way corner and started playing the Horst Wessel song on an accordion or something like that. Would anybody notice or object? Would anybody reckonize the song? Just Wondering!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:58:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Tourists...Oy vey!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#43]
The man earned a honorable mention for a Darwin Award.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good

irony?

Seriously. anti-freedom much?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:00:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
IIRC, It's also illegal to have a visual representation of a swastika unless it's part of a historical display.

They don't fuck around over there.  There is no "hey, let's do this to be funny," there is simply jail time.  I'd imagine that having your country ground into the dirt twice in one century would be enough to warrant such things.  

ETA:  Reason I know about the swastika thing––Anyone notice how in BF1942 or Battlefield 2 (or on many of the "realism mods" for either), there's no swastikas on German stuff represented in-game?  It's because it could get the end-users arrested, depending on if they reside in certain european countries.

The Eagle's Nest is completely scrubbed of anything nazi related.  Apparently there used to be two huge swastikas inlaid in the wall outside the elevator entrance that they jack-hammered out.  I think it's a shame, actually.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Germany will never again be a great and powerful nation (or a threat) as long as it's citizens remain neutered.  It was the Western Allies that made Germany feel shame over the last 60 years, not the Soviets.  Most Neo-Nazi groups in Germany hail from the former East Germany.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see what you did there.  BUNDESTAG please!  

After the reunification of Germany on October 3, 1990, the building underwent reconstruction led by internationally renowned architect Norman Foster. After its completion in 1999, it became the meeting place of the modern German parliament, the Bundestag.

While I value and cherish our right to free speech in America, and I believe it to be a fundamental human right, I fully understand and support Germany's very limited prohibition on such speech - given their past.

Wife is German.  She can proudly point to her Polish last name and her Polish grandfather's combat record as an anti-Nazi partisan fighter who joined up with our U.S.G.I.'s fighting in Germany after D-Day.  Yes, we DO take these things very very seriously indeed.  

Hope that jack-hole tourist gets the book thrown at him.

BTW - I made the mistake of calling their current parliament "reichstag" only once when we were 1st dating.

My mother is German and half my family lives just north of Bonn.   I'm ASHAMED they arrested a tourist instead of the thriving neo-nazi moment growing among the poorer Germans.   I guess a tourist isn't likely to knife you or beat you to death.

PATHETIC.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Good

Seriously? This is a good thing to you?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#50]
ignorance of the law...........
Arrow Left Previous Page