Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 10:13:21 PM EDT
Basically, what is the advantage of extra cylinders?

Compare an eight-cylinder engine and a six-cylinder engine. They both displace X liters (say 4.0). All else being equal, which produces more power? More torque? Is it the same?

On first thought, more = better. But wouldn't an eight-cylinder engine have more moving parts, and therefore higher internal friction? Do two engines of the same displacement theoretically use the same amount of gasoline - say for a really big six cylinder engine, each cylinder firing once = 1 gallon used. For a really big eight cylinder engine of the same design and displacement, would it also use 1 gallon after each cylinder fired once?

Sorry if my mind is just being retarded
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Basically, what is the advantage of extra cylinders?

Not having to replace a turbo or blower...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
One advantage is balance. Each piston/rod pushes the crankshaft only a short distance, so having fewer of these means power "surges." Many 4 cylinder engines even have balance shafts to offset this effect.

With enough cylinders, there is  an overlap of the power produced by each -rather than a lag.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
To many factors to make a blanket statement about horsepower/torque, however most 6 cyl will turn more peak RPM  than an 8 cyl for the reason you did mention (less moving parts). I am sure someone  (KeithJ) will be along to provide some accurate info.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
It's complicated.

The short answer is that not all aspects of engine performance scale linearly. That is to say that doubling the number of cylinders doesn't necessarily double some other parameter- it may triple it or some other ratio. Of course this also apply to negative parameters as well- more cylinders can have a negative or positive influence, so more is not necessarily better, depending on your design goal..

My guess is that cylinder count in a car engine is usually determined by a couple of chief factors- cost, overall engine size, weight, balancing forces and torque/power curve desired.
Top Top