Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 8:40:45 PM EDT
Hey guys, I got a brilliant idea that I wanted to be able to check on my dog while at work on my mobile phone running Android.

We have wireless internet and stuff like that, how much would it cost to set something like this up and where would I buy it?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Go HERE
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Go HERE

Oh god, so much information!

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I had an old crappy webcam that would do motion capture and upload them to the web server that I could check. Didn't cost more than $30.

I've been looking into getting these for real security though. You can get a DVR with web-interface but the good stuff gets expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110632762310

Not sure how far you want to take it. Remotely release the dogs when you have a security breech lol?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I had an old crappy webcam that would do motion capture and upload them to the web server that I could check. Didn't cost more than $30.

I've been looking into getting these for real security though. You can get a DVR with web-interface but the good stuff gets expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110632762310

Not sure how far you want to take it. Remotely release the dogs when you have a security breech lol?

Hah!  That would be awesome, but probably too far.

How complicated was that web cam server thing?  I have a computer in that room and could put a webcam on it if I wanted.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been playing with Pysoft software. It is very configurable. It will accept USB or IP cameras, either wired or wireless. Basically it makes a hub of your computer. It can be configured to recognize motion, and then  to call your phone, or upload the images to a web site, or email them to you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have been playing with Pysoft software. It is very configurable. It will accept USB or IP cameras, either wired or wireless. Basically it makes a hub of your computer. It can be configured to recognize motion, and then  to call your phone, or upload the images to a web site, or email them to you.

Googling pysoft, shit it's late, I'll look tomorrow

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Googling pysoft, shit it's late, I'll look tomorrow

Did I mention that it ships with a fully-functional demo, with splash screens that go away when you buy?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
For basic wireless video monitoring:

Panasonic or Linksys camera (expect to spend $125+)  I have the Linksys WVC80N
You may need a router.  (Some cameras have built in WEB server. 90 days for free)
DNS service (free at  DynDNS)
DNS service updater (free at the above)
Android App. IP Cam Viewer Lite (free)

Have fun.  You will be challenged.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top