Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2011 8:12:33 PM EDT
There are many reasons why America's students are falling behind those in other countries. A recent comparison showed that America ranked 25th in Math, 17th in Science, and 14th in reading. This is out of only 34 countries.

Obviously, this poses a number of extreme problems.

If our graduates are inferior to the greatly more populous China (and they are), then inevitably our economy will suffer. The world's economy is dependent on highly skilled jobs, and a nation that perpetually turns out c students is bound to fall behind no matter the lead it started with.

The problems grow larger because we live in a representative republic. These same c students are going to be electing our politicians. Since they are poorly educated, and were never really taught how to think critically, they are likely to pick charlatans that make impossible promises. You need look no further than Obama's inauguration for evidence of this.

82% of US government schools are failing
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been that way for decades and fairly obvious reading GD. 90% can't spell.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you No Child Left Behind.  It has ensured the federalization of the dumbing down of America's children.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
They are being taught nothing so they can be controlled. Every child left behind. Yeah Obama.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thank you No Child Left Behind.  It has ensured the federalization of the dumbing down of America's children.

Toss in some lack of parenting and mainstreaming those can't handle regular schooling and we have ourselves modern schools.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are being taught nothing so they can be controlled. Every child left behind. Yeah Obama.

Uh,NCLB was going to be part of Bush's legacy and it passed with overwhelming support in both houses. Remember in those heady early days of the Bush administation when he was going to be a "uniter" and stood there grinning with Teddy K?

Political correctness,a rampant entitlement complex and far too powerful teachers unions are where I place most of the blame.It's not as if conservatives are without fault too: far too many are far more worried about school prayer and evolution being taught than US math and science scores being abysmal.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Yet more than 10K average per student of tax money is wasted each year
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Yet we still have the world best universities and colleges.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Note that that percentage is for government run schools. Many if not most private schools are doing quite well and the kids score much higher. They also tend to not dress like gangbangers and get pregnant.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Many of which are attended by foreign students....

Plus if you look at numbers, those universities only make up a small percent of all high school graduates.  So if 1% of HS graduates are smart then they are still filled.  Furthermore, there is a difference between undergraduate at Yale and graduate level courses at Yale.  A university's post graduate programs determine how good it is.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The only one winning here are  teacher unions, school administrators, and the bureaucrats.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#11]
It's because they don't have enough money and union representation.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#12]
All by design...the ignorant aren't smart and can't fend for themselves...thus they rely on the .gov.  

Destruction of the middle class...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's because they don't have enough money and union representation.

This has GOT to be it!   When collectivism fails, we need MORE of it to make it work!  

/sarcasm
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Been happening for a long time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's been that way for decades

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't buy that at all. All that did was expose the system as the failure and fraud its been for decades. Shut the whole damn public education system down and let the private sector figure things out.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There are many reasons why America's students are falling behind those in other countries. A recent comparison showed that America ranked 25th in Math, 17th in Science, and 14th in reading. This is out of only 34 countries.

If our graduates are inferior to the greatly more populous China (and they are), then inevitably our economy will suffer. The world's economy is dependent on highly skilled jobs, and a nation that perpetually turns out c students is bound to fall behind no matter the lead it started with.

The problems grow larger because we live in a representative republic. These same c students are going to be electing our politicians. Since they are poorly educated, and were never really taught how to think critically, they are likely to pick charlatans that make impossible promises. You need look no further than Obama's inauguration for evidence of this.

Regarding that, the masses will always have problems thinking critically and the like and so long as the system is democratic charlatans will come to office.  It is one of the fatal flaws of the democratic system.  No educational approach can fix that.

Regarding the rest, IMO public education is a major part of the problem.  I used to support universal education but not so much anymore.  Those that can be helped by a good education can't get it through a public system, especially one that turns the principle of subsidiarity on its head.  Those that will succeed regardless of how they are educated will not have a problem with no public education.  Those that can't be helped are destined for the same fate no matter how much money we throw at them.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:37:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're kidding right?

They vote on awards for each other.

Not saying they aren't good but you need to look at who is saying they are good. Kind of like when the tobacco companies were saying cigarettes weren't bad for you.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#19]
we homeschool.  Maybe some of you guys can stand up for us homeschoolers next time a GD thread makes us out to be kooks....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:00:22 AM EDT
[#20]
It is sad that very few kids have critical thinking skills anymore.

Public education today is pretty just much force feeding the kids the answers to the tests.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Public education today is pretty just much force feeding the kids the answers to the tests.

[/thread]

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Toss in some lack of parenting and mainstreaming those can't handle regular schooling and we have ourselves modern schools.

As much as I hate Bush, I can't blame this on him. NCLB was horrible, but it was the attempt to fix the problem (even if it was a failed attempt).

The problem falls on the parents.

Used to be that the mother would stay home and take care of the house/kids, and the father would go provide for the family. When kids came home, they had homework THEN went out to play. Came back in for dinner and had family time. There was always someone around to help the kids if they need it and to make sure they are doing the right thing.

NOW, you are lucky if the father is even in the picture. If he is, he probably isn't living with the mother and child. And on the increasingly rare situation where they are together, 99% of household have both parents working. By the time they get home and have the fast food on the table, everyone is too tired to be parents like the kids need.

Well, that's my radical theory anyway.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't forget the time spent on leftist indoctrination. It's hard to describe how much time gets dedicated to topics like Global Warming, saving the spotted owl, black history month (where your achievements only matter if you have the right skin color), or spending more time talking about Harriet Tubman than the American revolution.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's intentional. Functional idiots are easier to control
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Has nothing to do with Obama.  

It's obvious, some can't read either
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:11:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

As much as I hate Bush, I can't blame this on him. NCLB was horrible, but it was the attempt to fix the problem (even if it was a failed attempt).

The problem falls on the parents.

Used to be that the mother would stay home and take care of the house/kids, and the father would go provide for the family. When kids came home, they had homework THEN went out to play. Came back in for dinner and had family time. There was always someone around to help the kids if they need it and to make sure they are doing the right thing.

NOW, you are lucky if the father is even in the picture. If he is, he probably isn't living with the mother and child. And on the increasingly rare situation where they are together, 99% of household have both parents working. By the time they get home and have the fast food on the table, everyone is too tired to be parents like the kids need.

Well, that's my radical theory anyway.

This is it right here. Most of the schools that are failing are in dilapidated neighborhoods. My mother is a 3rd grade teacher and she has witnessed her school go from mostly white, middle

class children to mostly hispanic and african american children. The neighborhood around the school is also beginning to fall apart. The school went from being an A+ school to now a B-, C+.

The hispanic parents can't speak very much english so how is it reinforced after school if all they do is speak spanish?

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Where the fuck do some of you send your kids to school?  

My daughter goes to the local public school (5th grade).  She is receiving an excellent education.
She is being introduced to most subjects about two years before I was, on average.
No liberal indoctrination, no boogey man in the classroom, no propaganda posters.

Furthermore, having worked extensively with both U.S.- and foreign-trained graduates, I'll take the U.S.-trained model for most purposes.
Sure, some of the foreign students will perform better on standardized tests, but that's all they can do.
The hardest thing I ever did was try to teach a grad student from a certain asian nation to think.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the time spent on leftist indoctrination. It's hard to describe how much time gets dedicated to topics like Global Warming, saving the spotted owl, black history month (where your achievements only matter if you have the right skin color), or spending more time talking about Harriet Tubman than the American revolution.....

He's your homework: Go to your county/district's curriculum map page on their website. Once you do that, post it here, and take the time go to a school. You can sit and watched classes as a guest. You have that right.  

99.99% of schools AREN'T indoctrination camps. Stop with the Glenn Beck. It melts your mind. Teachers have a shit ton of more stuff to worry about than 'adding teh evul laberul edumacation'. I should know.

Once you say the word indoctrination - you're opinion is 100% disqualified.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's your homework: Go to your county/district's curriculum map page on their website. Once you do that, post it here, and take the time go to a school. You can sit and watched classes as a guest. You have that right.  

99.99% of schools AREN'T indoctrination camps. Stop with the Glenn Beck. It melts your mind. Teachers have a shit ton of more stuff to worry about than 'adding teh evul laberul edumacation'. I should know.

You were saying.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

In my experience, the VAST majority of teachers at the public school and university level are liberal democrats.  The teacher's unions are also extremely heavily democrat.  Given these two things how can you discount that a teacher's political leanings will not affect the way they teach their curriculum?  Many teachers I've had did not even try to hide their political bias, so while it may not be intentional "indoctrination" per se, they can and do teach according to their biases, and in a largely liberal institution it's foolish to think that conservative viewpoints would be emphasized over liberal ones.

I'm not saying all schools or teachers are like that but overall liberal bias of the education system should not be a secret to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:23:51 AM EDT
[#32]
It's harder than they thought to teach the illegals here in California.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Well if those pesky female teachers quit taking advantage of young teenage boys and actually taught maybe it would go up like 1%
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Please watch Waiting for Superman.

It is an amazing documentary and really puts common theories about the problems with education on its head.

ETA:  The movie puts the blame on teachers, tenure, and the teacher's union.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Please watch Waiting for Superman.

It is an amazing documentary and really puts common theories about the problems with education on its head.

ETA:  The movie puts the blame on teachers, tenure, and the teacher's union.

Beat me to it.

This movie is SPOT ON!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:49:44 AM EDT
[#36]
If we just give the schools more money, I am sure ratings will improve.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quite beeing sew negative.  That meanz 34% of schoolz r passeng.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I hate to burst your bubble, but I've been a teacher, and I've worked at public schools. I know what I am talking about first hand.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Nothing to see here, please keep moving along

Everything is going according to plan, actually ahead of schedule.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Yep, all of those evil teachers are going to have a liberal slant to teaching subjects like geometry, chemistry, computer programming, and even PE!!!

Give me a break. Teachers are not allowed to teach with bias. Hell, most teachers don't even get the opportunity to determine what the instructional curriculum will be. It is given to them, dictated by the district.

As for Waiting for Superman, one must not take that film as truth any more that taking a Michael Moore film as truth. That's why it is called a film. It is art. Sure it is a documentary, based on facts.  However, we all know that one can make the facts support any stance you take.  Think of them like a position paper for an English class. You use the facts that support your position to make the strongest stance possible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many of which are attended by foreign students....

Plus if you look at numbers, those universities only make up a small percent of all high school graduates.  So if 1% of HS graduates are smart then they are still filled.  Furthermore, there is a difference between undergraduate at Yale and graduate level courses at Yale.  A university's post graduate programs determine how good it is.

Exactly right, we have the world's best universities.  Years ago this wasn't so bad, the foreigners would come here, learn, and stay here to be productive citizens.  Now we educate them and they go back to China India or Brazil to build up THAT economy. End result is we lose.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:06:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My daughter goes to the local public school (5th grade).  She is receiving an excellent education.
She is being introduced to most subjects about two years before I was, on average.
No liberal indoctrination, no boogey man in the classroom, no propaganda posters.

Furthermore, having worked extensively with both U.S.- and foreign-trained graduates, I'll take the U.S.-trained model for most purposes.
Sure, some of the foreign students will perform better on standardized tests, but that's all they can do.
The hardest thing I ever did was try to teach a grad student from a certain asian nation to think.

Yes, but it depends on where you live.  My school district is like yours.  Other school districts suck.  It depends on teh local tax base and how fucked up the people and local school board are in a particular area.  The unions are bad and fucked up but so is teh way we strcuture education.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ty7WU872Lk&feature=related

You were saying.....

Yes in that inner city school distrcit the fucked up liberal idiot teachers were indoctrinating kids.  But generally this is not a big issue.  What IS an issue is all the legal crap that teachers must go through to do their job, everyone has to be included, no teacher can really punis hthe kids and the kids know it, and the school administrations somehow treat the teachers and students and teachers as if they are peers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:11:03 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Yep, all of those evil teachers are going to have a liberal slant to teaching subjects like geometry, chemistry, computer programming, and even PE!!!

Give me a break. Teachers are not allowed to teach with bias. Hell, most teachers don't even get the opportunity to determine what the instructional curriculum will be. It is given to them, dictated by the district.

As for Waiting for Superman, one must not take that film as truth any more that taking a Michael Moore film as truth. That's why it is called a film. It is art. Sure it is a documentary, based on facts.  However, we all know that one can make the facts support any stance you take.  Think of them like a position paper for an English class. You use the facts that support your position to make the strongest stance possible.

Bull shit

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Nearly everyone claims that the school their child goes to is wonderful. Parents rarely know or are willing to admit that there is a possibility that the schools their kids attend are just as bad as the others. I saw this with my own parents and I see this again and again and again and again with other parents. Most of the time they won't believe the things their kids are telling them their teachers and schools are shoving their throats. They are too defensive about the fact that maybe their kids could be or should be getting a hell of a lot better of an education than they are getting.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ty7WU872Lk&feature=related

You were saying.....

Yes in that inner city school distrcit the fucked up liberal idiot teachers were indoctrinating kids.  But generally this is not a big issue.  What IS an issue is all the legal crap that teachers must go through to do their job, everyone has to be included, no teacher can really punis hthe kids and the kids know it, and the school administrations somehow treat the teachers and students and teachers as if they are peers.

I'm confused.  First you agree with me, then you proceed to say it's no big deal, and then you cite examples of a PC liberal agenda.

I agree that that school was in the inner city, but it certainly was not the only school where this type of incident occurred, it just happens to be the most notorious.  I don't know if you've ever seen the 22 minute video about "the story of stuff", but that video was, and is, shown in many many districts all over the country.  There is no other way to describe that video other than a piece of propaganda that is focused on the indoctrination of highly impressionable youth.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bull shit  

I suppose a teacher could teach with bias.  However, the consequences if one gets caught range from getting written up by an administrator to getting fired.  I don't know many teachers that are willing to take that risk.––especially now with teachers on the chopping block due to budget cuts.

The days of teachers manipulating curriculum and expressing their own stance on information are long gone.

One last thing:  it's bullshit, not bull shit!!!.  Dem teachers done you wrong!  

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#49]
The only reason these would be the "country's schools" would be the union involvement.  And Department of Education.

Here is an idea, get rid of BOTH.  Schools are best when they are controlled locally.  Not even state control works.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Just pay teachers more and it'll get fixed...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top